Should I make a request to the ROM designers?

Reaction score
Long story short, when I plug a stereo 3.5mm cable from the TBolt into my car stereo, the Stock ROM mutes the phone's microphone(s) so that the person can't hear me when I talk.

HTC states that they may provide a hotfix for this as lots have been complaining about it... I am seriously considering Rooting my phone (for lots of reasons), but one would be the custom ROMs. Should I be posting my request to fix this in a custom ROM to one of the designer/programmers?

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Well since no one responded, I am going to put my hopes and dreams for a custom ROM, and right now they are simple:

-Fix the issue of the phone muting the external Microphones when I plug a 3.5mm stereo cable into the headphone jack. That way I can conduct phone calls using my car's AUX port on the radio.

-Make it so that the Home screens will rotate to landscape modes (like ADW Launcher).

nakhleh926

Reaction score
Well since no one responded, I am going to put my hopes and dreams for a custom ROM, and right now they are simple:

-Fix the issue of the phone muting the external Microphones when I plug a 3.5mm stereo cable into the headphone jack. That way I can conduct phone calls using my car's AUX port on the radio.

-Make it so that the Home screens will rotate to landscape modes (like ADW Launcher).

I hope they do this as well. I'm an audiophile and I hate needing to unplug to talk to someone, it's incredibly inconvenient.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

dark juggalo

Reaction score
this is my only gripe with the thunderbolt as well...so if anyone hears of anything post it up here..I'll do the same as I'm constantly looking fo a fix.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think a custom ROM developer can fix this issue. It's unfortunate because I loved it with my OG D1 and D2. I can't say this is the only thing I don't like about the TB but it's one of the things.

dark juggalo

Reaction score
well if thats the case, I better quit holding my breath because the ppl over @ HTC didnt seemed too concerned about it.

this was their response:
We appreciate your feedback Robert, we know how important consumer feedback on our products is.

We appreciate your suggestions regarding the car dock and will use them in our research and development of possible upcoming models. If you have any future comments or concerns about our devices please feel free to contact us

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
well if thats the case, I better quit holding my breath because the ppl over @ HTC didnt seemed too concerned about it.

this was their response:
We appreciate your feedback Robert, we know how important consumer feedback on our products is.

We appreciate your suggestions regarding the car dock and will use them in our research and development of possible upcoming models. If you have any future comments or concerns about our devices please feel free to contact us
You should contact them and tell them of your displeasure for canned responses.

hedney3

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well bgill has, your landscape fix. Not so sure about the mic thing

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Long story short, when I plug a stereo 3.5mm cable from the TBolt into my car stereo, the Stock ROM mutes the phone's microphone(s) so that the person can't hear me when I talk.

HTC states that they may provide a hotfix for this as lots have been complaining about it... I am seriously considering Rooting my phone (for lots of reasons), but one would be the custom ROMs. Should I be posting my request to fix this in a custom ROM to one of the designer/programmers?

This is by design. Won't get changed unless HTC decides to fix it. Sorry.

If you look in the TB hacks section I posted bgill's stock Rose landscape and the code needed to change it to landscape by yourself. The reason why people are not adding it to ROMs is because some HTC widgets are buggy when landscape.

If you let me know what ROM you are running I can probably change it and give it to you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
If you look in the TB hacks section I posted bgill's stock Rose landscape and the code needed to change it to landscape by yourself. The reason why people are not adding it to ROMs is because some HTC widgets are buggy when landscape.

If you let me know what ROM you are running I can probably change it and give it to you.

What doesn't make sense (pun) about that is that when in the car dock, if you exit the Car Dock app of your choice (mine is Car Home) and go to the home screens, everything appears in landscape with no issues.

I am currently running Lightening Rom 3.1

this was their response:

Not sure how you contacted them, but in numerous other posts, I have called them a couple of times to complain of the issue. Both times I was told by HTC that they are aware of the issue and that many have called about it. It remains to be seen if they will fix it with Gingerbread or a hotfix, but I have to believe that a custom ROM designer/programmer can find the setting easily enough and change the mute setting to off. Until someone fixes it, I have a workaround so I am ok with the phone... that is my only complaint so far with this bad boy.

dark juggalo

Reaction score
I talked w/htc yeserday and was told that this something that was on their list of fixes...but couldnt come up w/an ETA..at least their lookin into it.

so far the only temp fix I can find is to plug my TB into the USB port on my car stereo and then I have music/gps from the TB while still able to make/recieve calls..it dont help you guys wanting to use them w/headphones but it deoes help w/some cardock issues and thats only if you have a newer stereo w/USB

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
I talked w/htc yeserday and was told that this something that was on their list of fixes...but couldnt come up w/an ETA..at least their lookin into it.

so far the only temp fix I can find is to plug my TB into the USB port on my car stereo and then I have music/gps from the TB while still able to make/recieve calls..it dont help you guys wanting to use them w/headphones but it deoes help w/some cardock issues and thats only if you have a newer stereo w/USB

My ~$2 3.5mm mic fix works as well for older stereos with the 3.5mm aux port on them.

I think if someone grabbed a portion of the Droid X Stock ROM, I know the Motorola DX has the correct setting when in Car Dock and plugged in with a 3.5mm cable. I wouldn't think it to be too difficult for the more savvy Dev's to grab from the DX and make it for the TBolt.

crackedvenom

Reaction score
Im pretty sure my buddy uses his aux port for calling when hes in his car because its always echoing. Its pretty annoying while talking and everything you say echos

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that with the new OTA Radio that was recently released, it fixed the whole muting of the Mic while you have your phone plugged into your car stereo. I just tested my phone and it worked great!

Worst case scenario, I was told there is a workaround to this as well. If yours still is muting the Mics on a phone call, go to Settings>Call>TTY mode. Change this to "TTY VCO." This should unmute the mics when on a phone call with something plugged into the headphone jack.