Should I keep it

EricTheRed

Reaction score
This is my first post, so hello.

I just got my Droid X, my first smartphone, the day before yesterday, and I admit, I'm questioning the purchase.

My contract with Verizon began with a USB aircard, because its the only way to get nondial-up internet where I live. The card always had its quirks, the coverage could be spotty and it was often recognized as a new device on my PCs (they think I have 12+ cards); I also had to string it up on two USB cord extenders for it to show any bars. So when a friend told me his original Droid with 3G had better range, I looked into it.

After 4+ visits to 2 different Verizon stores and a BestBuy, I was convinced that a Droid X would be a good buy; it could create a WiFi hotspot so my laptop could have internet, replace my iPod for music, and be a cell phone that would have range at my home for only $10 more that what I was paying for just internet ($65 a month).
Every associate assured me it would be a cake walk to upgrade to it.

So I order the phone on the 23rd. The lady told me it would be mailed to my home in 2-3 weeks. After days of nothing in the mail, I went to ask the store if there was a way to track my order on the 6th. Turns out the store had it since the 28th. They tried to call my Verizon number to notify me; my aircard. It was apparently too hard for them to check my contract for my home number so I could pick up my $300 phone.
After the man activated it, he just handed me the phone; no explanation of how to do anything was given. So I decided to ask him how to use the main feature I wanted, the WiFi hotspot.
"Oh, activating that feature adds an additional $20 to your bill monthly."
In all of my prior visits, this was never mentioned. It was my primary topic every time I entered the store 'I want a phone that I can use like my aircard.'
The only place I found a hint of this charge was in the phone's Owner's Manual that you get after buying the phone.

The phones still neat, but far more confusing than I thought it would be. I still have no real clue how to put non Mp3 songs on it, give contacts different ringtones, set up a voicemail message, take a picture, or alot of things.

So considering the fact that my bill will now be $95 a month instead of $75 (I'm currently getting one day a week at work), should I take it back and cancel the upgrade?
I don't want to be angry at the phone over the stores bad service, but I know if they had told me of that extra charge, I would have never bought the phone.
Any advice?

Thanks

droidman101

Reaction score
welcome to the forums!

well, for the music i use doubletwist, it transfers songs to a way android can read it so you can have your itunes songs on your droid

as for the wireless tether...well its your decision, depends on whether you want to pay $20/mo for internet.

for contacts different ringtones go into your app drawer and click on contacts then longclick on a contact and there should be something in there for it

for voicemail, call yourself on your phone and (if your on your phone hit your password to your voicemail, if your on another you have to hit either # or *(not sure which) then enter your password) and youre able to change it.
for pictures, theres a dedicated camera button on your right side of the phone on the edge near the bottom, longpress it(hard) and itll get you to camera. press it again(hard) and itll take a picture.

ps: also, a lot of stuff can be accessed by hitting menu or by longpressing, this is where all the options are! :)

pps: i like your name there eric :p

ppps: also, you have 30 days after receiving the phone to return it no charge and no questions asked just fyi

Last edited:

Droid_3.0

Reaction score
Just get the original droid root it then you get tethering for free i use my droid when im out and i dont have a wifi near by

OP
E

EricTheRed

Reaction score
Okay, I was just clicking the camera button, not holding it. Thank you.

Am I the only one that was taken aback by this surprise charge on the WiFi though?
I'm considering filing a complaint with the BBB. Their booklet had nothing mentioning the WiFi mobil hotspot, muchless the extra charge, and none of the Droid Ads show it. I'm already paying $40 for unlimited data/internet on the phone, why make you pay extra for a built in feature?
It just feels dirty.
All of my previous phones have been prepaids (Virgin and Tracfone), so maybe these surprises are normal with contract phones, but it makes me feel bitter towards the device.

OP
E

EricTheRed

Reaction score
Just get the original droid root it then you get tethering for free i use my droid when im out and i dont have a wifi near by

I'm afraid I have no clue how to do that.
I assume there are guides, but what is "rooting"?

droidman101

Reaction score
Okay, I was just clicking the camera button, not holding it. Thank you.

Am I the only one that was taken aback by this surprise charge on the WiFi though?
I'm considering filing a complaint with the BBB. Their booklet had nothing mentioning the WiFi mobil hotspot, muchless the extra charge, and none of the Droid Ads show it. I'm already paying $40 for unlimited data/internet on the phone, why make you pay extra for a built in feature?
It just feels dirty.
All of my previous phones have been prepaids (Virgin and Tracfone), so maybe these surprises are normal with contract phones, but it makes me feel bitter towards the device.

well, it really depends... most of the apps in iphone commercials are paid, just like how vzw sometimes put paid features in their ads, its sorta a common practice. Im not sure if the BBB could help, but who knows :)

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Be sure to check how strong your 3G signal is at home before you decide. There is no quarantine that the Droid will have a better connection than your aircard. If it doesn't everything else is moot, yes?

Don't forget you have a 30 day return window, so you can check it out before making a final decision.

everstar80

Reaction score
Okay, a goos idea since this seems to be your first smartphone to go onto the verizon website and read create a my verizon account. There you will get useful information about your device and of course check out the droid x will section in this forum so that you will give you a plethora of knowledge on how your deivce works, to learn what rooting is and if you feel you want to do this. Ask questions on the forum to get more familiar with your device.

P.s. i would suggest before you think of rooting read as many threads as you can before doing so. In the meantime get as familiar with your device as you can.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's detailed on their site
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_connect

and most people here could have told you about the added cost of tethering. It's rare that any carrier offers free tethering. Legally you might have a leg to stand on given how the store reps failed to inform you but if $20 extra per month is too much are you really going to be willing to pay the legal and court costs to take them to court on this?

Always corroborate what the reps tell you with what people from forum sites like this tell you.

Last edited:

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
And in case you missed it the $20 option has a 2GB limit. It isn't part of your unlimited data plan.

SocalMike

Reaction score
"ppps: also, you have 30 days after receiving the phone to return it no charge and no questions asked just fyi "

when i got my phone they slap a $35.00 restocking sticker on the box so i would call and ask about that i asked them what was up with that and all they told me its a new policy on all new droid smartphones

themaltesedroid

Reaction score
This was my first smartphone also....I only used my old flipphone to text and call family....
The Verizon rep was great....told me all of the great features of a Droid X....I decided to jump into the modern world and get it! Then she activated it and sent me on my way! I got in the car with my husband and couldn't remember how to unlock the screen...my daughter called me a few minutes later and I didn't know how to answer the phone...LOL. I thought "oh Boy...I screwed up buying this".
Anyway...I took it home...jumped in the internet...joined this forum...and basically played around with it...took me about 2 days to get the hang of it.
I now absolutely love this phone!!! It does so much....I do not regret buying it at all!! dancedroid
Now if it could vacuum the carpet and wash the dishes...is there an app for that????

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
"ppps: also, you have 30 days after receiving the phone to return it no charge and no questions asked just fyi "

when i got my phone they slap a $35.00 restocking sticker on the box so i would call and ask about that i asked them what was up with that and all they told me its a new policy on all new droid smartphones

That is clearly indicated by the way in your agreement with them, this is nothing new.

If you deal with customer service over the phone instead of walking into a Verizon store there's a good chance you will get out of the 35.00 restocking fee.

lterry913

Reaction score
You have 30 days to return... I don't use the wifi tether so I cannot Help there. Rooting means you take over the phone as a super user...Droid x does not have the one click root option since 2.2 and I am not the most tech savvy person so I stayed away from this any way...but there are numerous threads in the hacking section on how to do.(rooting voids warranty,but from what I hear no one has really had an unrepairable phone and most have had no trouble with any returns to verizon)

The first thing I would do is google "droid tips and tricks"...very helpful lists of results there.
Then keep reading the forums ...Utilize the search box on the forum...it will bring up MANY Results. The phone is a mini computer with a different operating system than you are used to, and most for most of us it is a constant work in progress because of the incredible customization abilities...meanwhile you have 30,29,28 days to return lol.
Have fun!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Eric, root the phone(just remember that doing so will void you warranty) and install wireless tether app. You will then be able to tether multiple pcs for free and have unlimited data usage on all of them. I've been doing it since mid july using 10-20 gigs of data a month and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my DROIDX