Should I have gone with a different phone?

DogPaw

Reaction score
I love my Droid and I was one of the first to get one. I never use the sldie out keyboard. I installed the touch input keyboard and I do all my typing with the Droid in landscape position. Should I have gone with a phone like to HTC to of gotten a lighter phone. Would I have lost any functions or features.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I never use the keyboard either....but I am glad I got the Droid tho :)

Reaction score
At first I was thinking the exact same thing as you are. Coming from a BB I was missing the qwerty keypad and the feel of the BB, but after adjusting to the Droid, I will never leave it. It does so much more plus some. Give it some time.

fgw

Reaction score
Don't make a Decision Based on the Keyboard

I had a Storm1 and got a Droid 2 months ago. I seldom use the physical keyboard. The phone is so versatile, responsive, customizable, and awesome that I really don't care about the keyboard. I specifically chose the Droid over the Eris because of the size. I wanted the largest screen I could get and I don't mind the weight. I mean, really, it's not like I'm so weak that I can't hold the phone and do what I need to do. I use it all day long and play on it at night.

Having said all that, it is a personal decision. That's why there are so many phones out there. For me, there's no other phone I would want but I wouldn't make the decision based on the keyboard.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get an NES emulator... then tell me if the physical keyboard is worthless :)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I only use the keyboard when I have to do a factory reboot. Other than that it stays in the closed position. Do I wish I had a different Android phone...heck no. Love the Droid and would take it over the Eris any day. Plus, I am a VZW fanboy so it was an easy choice for me when I went android shopping. I knew I wanted 2.0 o.s.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
I love my Droid and I was one of the first to get one. I never use the sldie out keyboard. I installed the touch input keyboard and I do all my typing with the Droid in landscape position. Should I have gone with a phone like to HTC to of gotten a lighter phone. Would I have lost any functions or features.

the droid is a better phone.
it's twice the money for a reason- it's twice the phone!

go to the vzw store and play with an eris and you'll see what I mean.
The interface of the droid and screen are it's top features. the keyboard is secondary or tertiary.
the screen on the eris is a joke compared to the droid.

Wendy

Reaction score
I bought the Droid knowing I'd probably rarely if ever use the physical keyboard. But it's features outweighed the other phones, IMO. I'm quite pleased with my purchase :)

Reaction score
I bought the droid knowing damn well I would be using the crap out of the keyboard. Hasn't let me down yet :) I can't stand virtual typing unless it's a quick search in the market or something. Also, I enjoy keeping my full screen typing on the physical keyboard..

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Other than Nexus One there isn't an Android phone more powerful than the Droid , and only the Droid is available on VZ so I only see one choice . I use the keyboard alot , and sometimes Swype for a quick type .

RyanS2000

Reaction score
Never use my slide out keyboard and am totally happy with my Droid purchase. It's good that is there if I need it, though.