Should I go to Droid 2 or stay with the Droid 1?

anchellada

Reaction score
My droid 1 was stolen on sunday after having it for just 5 months. It was by far the best phone i ever had so im pretty pissed about it :angry:. It was a used phone i bought off ebay after dropping my palm pre in the toilet after only having it for about 5 weeks (i bad luck with phones, i know). Since im not even a year into my contract... and the ebay thing seemed to work out well so im thinking of doing that again and paying around $200 for a phone instead of $400+.

I loved my droid. i have an awesome setup in my stupid green 95 maxima with the car dock hooked up to my stereo which i use every day. i travel to see old college friends a lot so im always using everything on the car home app. so basically whatever phone i get NEEDS to fit in that car dock, which i dont think leaves me with too many options.

Anyway, i guess what im asking is, should i get another droid 1 since i loved it so much? or should i go for the droid 2? or is there something else that youd think i would like that wouldnt cost me an entire paycheck but would still fit in that dock? are there any major differences/improvements between the two phones?

destin246

Reaction score
Droid 2 already got gingerbread on mine and its amazing!

Sent from my Gingerbread DROID2 using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I made the switch from the d1 to the d2. I honestly feel like the d2 is considerably better than the d1 regardless of the locked bootloader. The d2 is much more responsive than a droid 1 regardless of how high you overclock the d1.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
D1 only because I'm loyal... now if there was a choice in there for the Thunderbolt, I'd say Thunderbolt. ;)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Reaction score
Wait two weeks to see if bionic comes out... personally I'd STILL be on my d1 if I didn't get this phone free :p

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
anchellada

anchellada

Reaction score
Wait two weeks to see if bionic comes out... personally I'd STILL be on my d1 if I didn't get this phone free :p

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

believe me... if i could afford it, i would.

phreek

Reaction score
As much as I love my D1, I am now anti motorola due to the locked bootloaders. Half my fun with owning my phone is playing "russian roulette" every time I flash I new rom on it. :p

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a rooted Droid. I've been eligible for an upgrade since last October. For now, I'm sicking with my Droid because I like flashing different roms.

matt2783

Reaction score
If rooting and flashing roms is an non issue for you, I'd get the droid 2 and preferably the Droid 2 Global because it has a 1.2ghz processor. Either way it's going to be more responsive and faster than the Droid.

bishoy

Reaction score
i had the droid 1 and now i have the droid 2. i hate my droid 2 with a passion. stay with the droid 1

dishnu

Reaction score
Depending on the type of Dock you have in the car you may have to spend more on a Dock as well if you go with the D2, I would stick with the D1

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well if it's between just the d1 and d2 i say d1

However if ur up to getting a new phone i say wait for the bionic or if u can't wait get the tb

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
To add to my earlier post, I certainly wouldn't sign a 2 year contract for a droid 2. I bought my droid 2 from a friend for just $75 even though it was only a couple mon ths old. As of now, there isn't a phone out on verizon that I would be comfortable signing a two year contract for. With that said, I honestly just want the phone to run well how its supposed to be run. I could honestly be content with the gingerbread leak for the next year or so. As far as a device goes, I don't see how anyone could consider the d1 to be better than the d2. Vanilla Android is awesome, and honestly what I prefer, but the launcher to me is really the only terrible part of blur in the droid 2...which doesn't matter seeing as most people use an alternate launcher...myself included. I do prefer the aosp messaging app, which I pushed to the leak and is working great. Besides the launcher and messaging app, I don't notice too much of a difference between the two UIs of the d1 and d2. Surprise surprise, its all about preference. I loved my droid 1, but I hated having to even tweak custom roms to get it to perform decently. I like having a phone that's great without tweaking, and only gets better with tweaking rather than having a phone that needs to be tweaked to even be compared to newer phones today.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Well if your in love with the design of the D1, then yeah go for it! If you want a bigger screen and wish to stay with Motorola, the DX is your best friend. But seems to me you want a keyboard. I never use mine. We have to become adaptive to the touch screens as they are more advance in technology then the qwerty keyboard. In my case, more user friends as I have huge fingers.