should i get the droid 2 or i phone

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by demofox, Sep 14, 2010.

1. demofox

demofox New Member

hey guys an gals i was wondering becuse im up for an up grade from verizon an i was wondering if i should get the droid 2 or wait for the i phone in january on verizon i heard that it was but any way so yea should i get droid 2 .

moto droid not rooted
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

My prediction is 99.9999% of the members here will say Droid 2 :)
  3. demofox

demofox New Member

lol

should have known

or the droid x
  4. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

These calculations seem right to me!

dancedroid
  5. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Get what's best for your needs.

That being said, the Droid Pro may be coming out in November.
  6. Dragoro

Dragoro New Member

Yeah I had an iphone once, I much prefer my droid 1 and now droid 2. That and ATT coverage sucks.
  7. gonnadie4thegov

gonnadie4thegov New Member

really? why would you come to a droid forum and ask that? Go try apple forums and see what they say?

Part 1 = QFT

Part 2 = The Droid Pro is just the Droid 2 World Edition, not what was previously speculated. Rumors now show the crazy new device is called the Droid Sick

So many people i know have switched to Android from iOS cause they are tired of not having the open features and yeah service blows
  8. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

The iPhone no matter what version VZW gets is still limited. Essentially it is a Droid minus the open market. It is also a Droid minus widgets. All it is is a big app drawer. No more, no less. It's notification system even with iOS 4.x still sucks ass. Not to mention that you haven't rooted your Droid!?!? For the love of all that is good and holy left in this world what are you waiting for?! Root your Droid try a few different ROM/Kernel combos and then the question will just go away and you will keep your Droid well past your upgrade.
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Droid, just because it's on Verizon's wireless network. AT&T is horrible.
  10. Signum

Signum Member

Samsung fascinate

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  11. Polymira

Polymira New Member

To be fair and play devils advocate, the iphone vs android expeirience are two very different things. The iphone is more fluid and generally had higher quality apps and games (I've been iphone free for almost a year, but there still isn't a good vnc client for android, and there's a reason angry birds got such big headlines when ported to android)

Ios notification system is garbage, but they do have push notifications... which can be nicer then keeping an app open all the time.

And lastly, if you are going to say the iphone has a closed market, then advocate rooting.... the cydia market for iphone is quite open, while only available via jailbreaking.

Just saying, iphone 4 is a sexy phone with the best camera on the smartphone market.... but there are a few keen items keeping me with android. But if Verizon continues the trend after the facinate of ruining phones, especially with their app market... I may jump away from big red.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  12. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Granted the quality of apps/games for the iPhone are somewhat better than Android but the gap is closing quickly. More and more software devs are seeing Android as a lucrative place to be. Especially now since Apple has backpedaled on the limitation to dev environments that can be used for iPhone apps the apps can be written once in a common dev environment and compiled for both iOS and Android. Also with the coming of Adobe AIR to the Android platform a lot of applications will become available that will not be available on the iPhone.

It all comes down to the individual in the end but when weighing the OS and devices that it runs on Android far outweighs the iPhone. With the release of Gingerbread and the big UI overhaul Google has been talking about, rumored GPU acceleration of the UI, will make Android even more appealing.
  13. demofox

demofox New Member

thanx guys im gonna look in to some new droids that are comming out
  14. ffej89

ffej89 New Member

The OP is not referring to At&t at all. He is assuming that the Iphone will be on Verizon by January. That said, Droid
  15. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

"demofox" seems like a nice name, but WOW what a troll-type question!!! I'm surprised you haven't been totally banished from this forum! :) Seriously, did you think some of the Android folks would say "Well...an iPhone is totally cooler and the better device. Yeah, you should get one."

OK, now let's bring some facts to the table.

(1) I don't know how you're calculating iPhone -> Verizon in January, but NOBODY should set their watches on that time. I wouldn't believe anybody's prediction at this point. You should assume it ain't coming, and either move to AT&T or find a Android phone at Verizon that you love (I think the DroidX is pretty cool).

(2) What's wrong with the Droid1? What features is it lacking? The point about rooting is a good one. Spend some time experimenting with your phone and learn how to play with it. You might find that the investment of time and effort will pay you back 10x in FUN.

(3) Tell us more about your phone habits. You haven't even owned the D1 a year, and now you're ready for a new one? What about your Verizon contract? When is your next upgrade? Is this your first smart phone? Your second? Your fourth?

(4) It's pretty much a certainty, either way you go, that you'll be lusting after a new phone (we all will) next summer. So look before you leap. Even if you're right, and end up with a Verizon iPhone in January, imagine how you'll feel in July when Mr. Jobs announces the 5G. You'll look at the 6-month-old piece of crap in your hand, rush to the iPhone forum, and ask, "Should I drop the 4G and get the 5G???"

My vote is keep the Droid1 and get to know it better. Have fun.

-Matt
  16. everstar80

everstar80 New Member

Two words: qwerty keyboard. Makes life so much easier especially when you have big hands like me. Also the antenna problems have been a big headache for people that I know that already own the iphone4. Go with the droid2.
  17. Redflea

Redflea New Member

iPhone on VZW could be a killer combination. The main problem to date has been that it's a great multimedia device and a annoying phone (my buddy iPhone owner's opinion, not mine) - if VZW fixes the phone side you've got a pretty nice package.

The thing I like about the iPhone is the ubiquity of accessories/connectors, linkages w/iTunes and related capabilities. A single connection for charging and audio is so sensible/convenient. No flash, but a lot of content is getting moved to iPHone compatible formats, and you had better believe that when it comes to the Big Red network that is just going to add more energy to that process.

Removing its big weakness, the AT&T network, will make it a very attractive option...however when it's going to show up on VZW is anybody's guess.

I would not get the Fascinate unless you plan on rooting it to get rid of Bing search lock...I've played with it and it's too large (as big as the DX w/a smaller screen) and Bing really is a poor substitute for Google.
  18. AtrusNex

AtrusNex New Member

I plan on getting a fascinate, but like everyone said, I wouldn't recommend getting it unless you root it. I will go straight to cyanogen mod as all the software on the fascinate is junk. It's a shame Verizon ruined a perfectly good phone, but I can't help but think it was to prevent it from overshadowing it's Droid line.
  19. LS&N

LS&N New Member

I have had my Moto Droid for about 6 months now and it is the best phone I have ever had - love it

I also have a new iPod Touch - they say it is like an iPhone minus the phone part
    If the iPhone behaves like the Touch, iPhone would be nicer/way more refined and I would dump the Droid - except for the ATT part

I have both pc and macs and I really like the way the touch syncs so smooth with the mac
    I never used google stuff much before the droid

Droid is great and the Touch atleast is just more refined and nicer to use for me
    Except for the apple haters out there, the Verizon/iPhone combo will be hard to beat for average user
  20. DAVID2010

DAVID2010 New Member

Which Smartphone?

I have had both a couple Droid X's (needed replacement because not working properly) and a few different iPhone's (3GS, iPhone 4). There has been some good info given so far. First, (to me) I would find out if AT&T has coverage in your area. I returned my Droid X and left Verizon because AT&T has better coverage in my area. I could not stand running outside my house to take/make calls. With AT&T I do not have to do that.
    About iOS App store. I also missed the app store when I was shopping for applications on the Android market. Apple's app store has more high quality apps compared to the Android market. But, as noted the Android market (I believe) will only get better. Android devices are selling like crazy. Personally, the iOS seems more polished to me. Without doubt the biggest thing I noticed with my Droid X's was how it would hesitate at times (half a second lag). It didn't seem to scroll as smoothly as much as I got used too. Was it a deal breaker the way the Droid X scrolled...NO. I called Motorola about it a couple times but realized that it was just the way it was. Nothing was done and I stopped pressing the issue. To make this shorter, I will just say what I miss.
    Verizon allows you to use your (certain models) smartphone as a mobile HOTSPOT WITHOUT ROOTING. Plus they don't make you lose your unlimited data to do it. Compare that to the AT&T tethering plan.
    I was "grandfathered" into unlimited data. I don't know your data usage or preference but as a new customer to AT&T you cannot get unlimited data.
    If I was to go back to Verizon I would get my Droid X back. But if you get the iPhone 4 you will see it too is a nice device. The iPhone 4 camera is hands down better than my Droid X. But I personally liked my HDMI feature on the X. Sorry, I could write more but getting long.
Search tags for this page

should i get 2 phones