Should I get rid of my Bionic for the GNex?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Fish, I wouldn't worry about Nadav's comment, if you read any of his other threads you'll see why the majority of us and I feel that way....

As for OP. Do what you please. If you feel the Nexus is the right for phone you, then that's the only opinion that matters. What I do highly recommend is you check out the phone in person along with any other phones available in the store, don't want to limit your choices to just 1 or 2 phones right off the bat without any hands-on time.

I recently recommend a Rezound for a friend of mine and he loves it. He's not into rooting/ROMing and doesn't care to learn about it so I pointed him to the Rezound or the Razr. He wasn't happy with the screen of the Razr and ultimately decided the Rezound was the phone for him. Big beautiful screen, snappy performance (like the others), and for him Beats audio headphones. Point is he did nothing, but online shop and compared it spec for spec, specs don't mean anything if they can't perform well in real world use, so I forced him to go to the store and decide for himself. He felt the Rezound was for him, so he got it, and now he's happy.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I love the bionic. I wouldn't trade it for the nexus myself. I understand why some people would, but I think a lot of people don't like the bionic cause they must be in the "in crowd" and for some reason it's "cool" to rag on the bionic.
LOL!

Yes, that must be it.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Point is he did nothing, but online shop and compared it spec for spec, specs don't mean anything if they can't perform well in real world use
Specs are a good place to start though. For example, I knew I did not want anything less than a 720p screen and dual core. So there was no point in me trying out phones that did not have those things. Specs do matter IMO.

prowler85

Reaction score
Specs are a good place to start though. For example, I knew I did not want anything less than a 720p screen and dual core. So there was no point in me trying out phones that did not have those things. Specs do matter IMO.

And I agree....specs are where you start to get your 2-4 choices, then you go in and compare and see which one has the nice screen, how it feels in the hand, weight, etc.

Though after saying that, I was in the store on launch day and bought pretty much sight unseen. Though I did see the floor model they had just put out, I was buying anyway. Though I do love modding and romming.

And yes, I had the bionic and moved up to the GNex. I loved my bionic, but as someone said, the screen alone is worth upgrading (I did think the screen on the bionic was crap). Overall, the Gnex is the smoothest phone (by far) that I've ever used - it just works so well with ICS. But as they said above, I'd go try the Razr Maxx and the Rezound, then decide.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I have been told that the Razr and Rezound will both see a speed increase with the change to ICS...something about how ICS better utilizes dual core CPUs.

I saw one guy post Quadrant scores on a rooted Rezound with ICS. He claimed to get 6500 (I usually get 5400 to 5600). Thats a nice jump from just a software upgrade.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Definitely good to check out specs, but it's even more important to check the phone out in person. Depends on what you're looking for I agree, which is why I tried to keep my comment as general as possible and used my friend as an example. Apologies, specs do matter, but I feel if you're going strictly by the better numbers, it doesn't mean it's a better phone. The whole lineup (or at least the ones we tend to concentrate on around here) are all great phones. That's the good thing about Android, it's available on all sorts of devices and we all shop for phones differently:)

rosa.vnny

Reaction score
Help

Sorry to sound like a noob, but how are you guys getting new phones? are you just buying them outright? because ive heard of people getting a new phone free because of all the issues with the bionic.

Thanks,
Vinny

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sorry to sound like a noob, but how are you guys getting new phones? are you just buying them outright? because ive heard of people getting a new phone free because of all the issues with the bionic.

Thanks,
Vinny
Most of us used our upgrade. Some of us bought it for full retail price. I haven't heard anyone upgrading to the Nexus from a dud Bionic unless they were on their 4th or 5th one.