Should I flash Ese53 .sbf first?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Balthazar, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Balthazar

Balthazar New Member

Or more accurately, should I have flashed the Ese53 .sbf before I flashed Pete's Bugless v5? I haven't had any problems so far, temps seem normal, I was getting occasional FCs at first, but that went away after a reboot. My concern is if we are going to continue with 2.1 ROMs and let the 2.01 ROMs fall by the wayside, would it be better to start with the new base or is it OK to keep things the way I have them now?
  2. thatguychuck

thatguychuck New Member

I could be wrong here, but I seem to remember reading if you flash that file, you will no longer have root. No root, no recovery, just the stock setup. I'd stick to the ROMs,
  3. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I believe he's correct, the sbf file is what Verizon Tech uses to unbrick a phone
  4. Balthazar

Balthazar New Member

I found a link on Alldroid of a guy who posted his nandroid backup of ESE53 plus root and busybox. I am tempted to use it, but my understanding of what exactly nandroid backs up is limited at best. Would it back up the files affected by flashing ESE53, or just the system, data and boot files from the ROM? I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried this?
  5. LtKen

LtKen New Member

As a rule, you shouldnt have to touch the SBF but in the very extreme cases. Most 'bricks' can be undone using SPRecovery.

The SBF is great, but you run the risk of totaling your phone. It's the last resort.
  6. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

The sbf is also the only way to install a Radio or bootloader update as well.

Note: There are rumors that ese53 increases call quality. Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on what I heard.

As for the posts about losing root, thats only half true. Root is still alive and well, via adb. At least, it is on the 2.1 SBFs.
  7. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Curious: Are the ESE53 and the ERE25 .sbf files all OCed?
  8. adrynalyne

There is a member setting them up that way, but generally speaking, no, they are bone stock.
  9. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I'm hoping I have the .sbf files that are bone stock, as you say. I wouldn't want to accidentally have a 'return to stock actually OCed file', lol.
  10. adrynalyne

Yeah I could see where that might be an issue ;)
  11. Balthazar

Balthazar New Member

So am I correct in assuming nerdbox and adrynalyne have done this? Any pros/cons?
  12. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i used the sbf to flash ese53, the oc'ed version. its really fast, and i dont even know if i want to install bugless or just stay with overclocked stock 2.1. i think the battery increased too.
    i know sbf is kind of dangerous, but is it that big of a concern? maybe i wont do it in the future, but my droid is SO quick i love it
  13. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I did flash the 2.0.1 (ESD56) when it first came out. I have a limited, working knowledge of the RSDLite program. Actually, I only know how to apply the sbf files with it.

I've not attempted to flash the other versions, because I am using a rom built off them.

While you could do this, there is no reason to do so since you aren't having any issues to start with using BB.

The SBF files are a last ditch effort to save your phone. You can actually, ultimately break the phone if something goes wrong during the install. If you don't NEED to use the sbf installation, I would stay away from it.
  14. Balthazar

Balthazar New Member

Thanks nerdbox, that's what I wanted to know. One other question, if the ROM is built off the ESE53 .sbf files, wouldn't that mean the other perks (better radio, bootloader) would already be built into the ROM? If so flashing the .sbf files would be redundant. If not than there may be some advantage. Am I correct that the ROM would already have it built in?

BTW, Bugless v0.6 is amazing if anyone is thinking of trying it out.
  15. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Honestly, this is exactly how I see it. But again, I don't have the complete knowledge of this as some other people do. But since the ROMs we are using are built off these files, it would only make sense that they are getting the perks.

25 fixed the anti-aliasing in the touch brower and gave us native pinch zoom, so I would assume we get the other stuff too.

I'm on a 53 ROM and I'm pretty sure my call quality is better, I think my reception is better too.
  16. adrynalyne

Belated answer:

Yes, I've done this. I've flashed ESD56, ERE25, and ERE53 about 3-4 times each.
  17. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i'm not an expert, but i dont think they are. the roms you flash with nandroid have data, system, and boot.
    i think the radio and bootloader are kept somewhere else deeper in the system, that we cant get out with a nandroid. thats just my understanding though
  18. adrynalyne

Thats my theory, but I am not for certain either.
  19. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Like I said, I don't know enough to give actual answers, just what I think, lol.
  20. Balthazar

Balthazar New Member

If that is the case, then doing a nandroid restore of the file I referenced in the OP wouldn't do any good. I would have to use RSDlite to do it right.

I guess the real question then is do the .sbf files transfer with the ROMs via nandroid or can they only be flashed with RSDlite. Maybe a dev will see this thread and enlighten us.