Should I feel guilty?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Ferradinho, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Ferradinho

Ferradinho New Member

So I just finished rooting, flashing froyo, and overclocking yet another co-workers droid. The thing is I keep doing it during work AND I also happen to work for VZW...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Lol...yes! There's a hot rock in hell just waiting for you! :rofl3:
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

I am pretty sure if you get found out you will be looking for a new job.

Is it really worth it?
  4. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

no, I see absolutely wrong with that. It's not like you're stealing service or anything. You're voiding their warranties, thats all
  5. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

What about being paid and Not doing your job?

Sounds like stealing from your employer.

And since he feels guilty, he knows he's wrong.
  6. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    Hahaha, no. I work for VZW too and I root customers and co-workers phones for them. All my higher-ups know. Who cares. It's not illegal. It's company time your using to learn about the products and services you sell, so it's not a fireable offense either, unless your boss says so. Mine are all cool with it, as long as there is full disclosure. Keep rockin-n-rollin.

Edit: I'm on the sales floor though, lol. It's a whole different world for us with different rules.
  7. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

lol yea its your phone and actually its illegal for them to fire you for that. Alls they can do is void your warranty lol
  8. kimsballs

kimsballs New Member

should you be doing something else? if not, your good. I Facebook and other **** at work, but not when there is actual work to be done. Specifically what your doing is fine as long as your coworkers know that you/they are voiding they're warranty.
  9. CDMATech

CDMATech New Member

Vzw

No, Don't feel bad. I myself am contracted under VZW. I spend most my day rooting A855's.I refuse to work upon HTCs.(ADR6200,xv69-67-6950,Incredible) is useless, and i continue to let everyone know such. Don't feel guilty, just because you found a way to enjoy your Device that much more. Doesn't Mean VZW is looking to can you. They know we are doing it, and sadly, there is nothing they can do about it. Now, if your caught installing such codex upon a customers Device on the clock... Different story.:icon_cussing:
  10. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

im at work right now...my job gets done and I screw around with my phone in my free time. I see nothing wrong with that
  11. CDMATech

CDMATech New Member

Hey! Me Too! That's what i'm talking about! I ask to work on Sundays!:rofl3:
  12. CDMATech

CDMATech New Member

Remember Your "higher ups" have even "Higher Ups". These "Higher Ups" Do not like RSR's getting paid to Void warranties... nor breaking Terms and Agreements. All it will take is one customer to Get Angry about "Wifi Tethering" not working and they will come scoping for you.
    Say what you want, But this is the truth and ive seen it already. If i were you..(i'm glad i'm not) I would cease such. GoaHead... Keep it up if you just want to... i hear the Job Market is really getting underway!dancedroid
  13. Ferradinho

Ferradinho New Member

I actually don't feel guilty at all. I did it while I was actually on a break and it was slow in the kiosk. It was a personal line and not a company phone. And I never talk to customers about rooting, wifi tether, or anything else. If it comes up I just tell them it voids the warranty and tethering is against T&C's.

I have thought about offering rooting services off the clock but it's not worth potentially losing my job.

As fas as VZW goes most employees don't even know what rooting is or how to detect it and the ones that do are all rooted including store managers. From what I have seen no one at VZW really cares as long as it is stock when/if it comes in for a warranty replacement. Motorola is the one that cares about the "voided warranty" from rooting...

14. teck

teck New Member

What you mean by stock, would it be just reflashing your phone with you stock backup?

15. Fault

Fault New Member

If you worked for motorola, maybe. For VZW? No.

I get so irritated talking to people at buisness like VZW and having to either dumb down my converstation with them, or pretend that Im not hacking my phone. I really just want to say to them "look, im going to hack this phone. What do u think in terms of buying". Its the most irritating thing in the whole world
  16. Ferradinho

Ferradinho New Member

That's hilarious. You should come into my store. I would love to talk to a customer that I don't have to explain why android phones are better than feature phones like the chocolate touch, etc.

As far as hacking, yes rooting will "void your warranty" but the best part is when you flash it back to stock your warranty magically reappears. Amazing!

17. Ferradinho

Ferradinho New Member

Nice. I agree 100% and wish more of the peeps at my store thought the same way you do. I think the HTC Incredible is a decent phone but it is definitely not the most amazing thing in existence like most people believe.

18. Fault

Fault New Member

Same issue with people at any computer store. I just want to be like look, im hacking my phone, lets just move past it, and we can talk like intelligent people, not some rule abiding nazis
  19. drivinfocused

drivinfocused New Member

why would they be pissed if you are voiding warranties? that means they don't have to give a free replacement..... there you go, they gain a lot of money... if you get them to tether yes that is against the T&C's.... hhmmmmmm............
  20. CorCor67

CorCor67 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Same here, my boss is sitting next to me.

In my opinion, you are providing extra services to the customer, if I were your boss, that's grounds for a raise!