Should I buy droid 3?

Reaction score
I currently have a droid 2. There isn't anything wrong with it at all, other than the numerous well documented bugs in the firmware.

Is the droid 3 worth upgrading to from the droid 2? I don't have an upgrade available. So my only option is to buy it off contract. Is it worth it?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

xxspark89xx

Reaction score
I currently have a droid 2. There isn't anything wrong with it at all, other than the numerous well documented bugs in the firmware.

Is the droid 3 worth upgrading to from the droid 2? I don't have an upgrade available. So my only option is to buy it off contract. Is it worth it?

Eh, steep price to pay without an upgrade. I got the Droid 2 originally by adding a line when it came out. Then my original line was due for the upgrade this time for me to get the Droid 3. :)

Also, the for the Droid 2, Android 2.3 Gingerbread will be coming to it soon - which will make a huge difference on the phone compared to the now Froyo 2.2 on there now. Might be kinda like a whole new phone, in a way. lol

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I'm part of a family plan. My mom owns the primary line.

Do you think adding a fifth line (we currently have 4) and suspending service (therefore only paying the 10 per month minimum charge) and using the fifth lines upgrade to get the droid 3 for 200 would be a good idea?

I think it would be. Since 10 per month for 24 months would be roughly 240 dollars plus taxes. The phone is 200 on contract. Total is 440 so far. The phone costs 600 on verizon I think.

Any opinions or recommendations?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Actually the D3 is $460 off contract.

end of line...

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah it's 460 so you might as well just buy it outright.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Maverick0984

Reaction score

If you decide to not sign the 2 year contract, inside of the 14 days, can you just pay the difference, and keep unlimited data? Or does month-to-month lose unlimited data?

Anyone know?

OP
R
Reaction score
Actually the D3 is $460 off contract.

end of line...

Well I feel stupid now, but THANK YOU for pointing that out. I was almost willing to spend 600 on this thing.

You're probably right. It's 440 after two years with no taxes. With taxes, it'll probably equal or probably exceed 460.

If you decide to not sign the 2 year contract, inside of the 14 days, can you just pay the difference, and keep unlimited data? Or does month-to-month lose unlimited data?

Anyone know?

If you currently have smartphone that got a data plan before July 7 (I believe) than you can upgrade to either a 4G or 3G smartphone and keep your unlimited data plan. If you're trying to activate a smartphone for the first time after July 7th, you're out of luck and stuck with a paltry 2 gigs.

Anyways, back to my main question:

Is the Droid 3 a worthy upgrade from the Droid 2?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
It's definitely a worthy successor. I upgraded from the D2 and couldn't be happier.

OP
R
Reaction score
It's definitely a worthy successor. I upgraded from the D2 and couldn't be happier.

In what ways specifically is it vastly better/improved compared to the Droid 2? Were there any things that just annoyed you with the Droid 2 that motorola has fixed? How much faster does it feel compared to the d2? Is the new motoblur THAT great? Or is it just better than motoblur on the d2? I'd like to know as much as possible that you can tell me about the phone. I'm already reading as much as I can from reviews. Anything extra would be appreciated.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
In what ways specifically is it vastly better/improved compared to the Droid 2? Were there any things that just annoyed you with the Droid 2 that motorola has fixed? How much faster does it feel compared to the d2? Is the new motoblur THAT great? Or is it just better than motoblur on the d2? I'd like to know as much as possible that you can tell me about the phone. I'm already reading as much as I can from reviews. Anything extra would be appreciated.

Well I was running the GB leak on my Droid 2 and it was buggy, but GB on the DROID3 is just about flawless. Blur is actually much better. I use the social networking part, but I prefer launcher pro over the Blur launcher. I like the fact that the screen is bigger. To me 4in is the sweet spot for cell phones. The pentile screen is very bright so you can actually see it in the sunlight. While it can be pixelated at times, overall it's a pretty good screen. I love the keyboard. It's practically perfect, much better than the Droid 2. The dual core processor makes this thing fly. I mean it's way faster than my Droid 2. The camera is really good too and the video quality is superb. The DROID3 pretty much outperforms the Droid 2 in every single area. If you don't have any problems with your 2 you may not want to upgrade, but I was tired of the random reboots, the slow downs, and the not so great keyboard so I upgraded and I'm glad I did.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Its worth it just for the keyboard... if your a keyboard fan like me

PhoneDog calls this the best keyboard to ever be put on a smartphone

Maverick0984

Reaction score
If you currently have smartphone that got a data plan before July 7 (I believe) than you can upgrade to either a 4G or 3G smartphone and keep your unlimited data plan. If you're trying to activate a smartphone for the first time after July 7th, you're out of luck and stuck with a paltry 2 gigs.

Anyways, back to my main question:

Is the Droid 3 a worthy upgrade from the Droid 2?

Well no, that wasn't my question at all. I already have the Droid 3 and bought it on contract for 2 years, extending my contract, still have unlimited, etc. The question was that if you changed your mind, within the 14 days, and wanted the phone off contract, does the month to month plan that it changes it to, still get the unlimited grandfathered.

Not trying to thread jack, was just a simple question that required a simple answer. Having gotten the wrong answer, I have to post/ask again for clarification :(

militant

Reaction score
I usually upgrade to the latest phone once per year, and even though I don't have upgrades available, I NEVER pay the off contract price. It's a little trick my boss told me about, my Ally wasn't available for early upgrade until 3/12. Yet here I sit, with a new droid 3 in hand, and only paid $199.

hotkoko

Reaction score
So, what's the trick

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Its worth it just for the keyboard... if your a keyboard fan like me

PhoneDog calls this the best keyboard to ever be put on a smartphone

I would say the honor of the best keyboard ever on a smartphone still goes to the HTC Touch Pro 2, but the Droid 3 is definitely the second best that I've ever used.