Should I be worried? Never seen before

cnmsales

Reaction score
So I rooted my phone two days ago and yesterday installed a custom rom.

Today I logged into my gmail account on my PC which i never do as I have it all set to fwd to a primary email account.

When I did it indicated my account had been accessed by an IP that didnt match the ones i usually use and showed as being from south korea. I imeddiately changed my password on the account but am now worried.

Has anyone else ever seen this?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I rooted my phone two days ago and yesterday installed a custom rom.

Today I logged into my gmail account on my PC which i never do as I have it all set to fwd to a primary email account.

When I did it indicated my account had been accessed by an IP that didnt match the ones i usually use and showed as being from south korea. I imeddiately changed my password on the account but am now worried.

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Never heard of that happening from rooting but did you download any apps recently?

metstang

Reaction score
I saw this about a month ago. An IP from Vietnam accessed my account. The next day there were charges against my credit card associated with my Google account. I would recommend that you keep a close eye on that.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums App

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Make sure im clear on this. I got this warning when accessing gmail from my PC, not my droid.

metstang

Reaction score
Same here. Got the warning when I logged in from my PC.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
But if there were charges associated with your CC and google account wouldnt you get an email for the billing?

metstang

Reaction score
For 1 charge yes...there were several others that I didn't see until I checked my bank account. I then checked Google Check Out and saw the charges there. Luckily I was able to contact the vendors and stop all but 1 charge before they cleared. Not saying that this is happening to you, just giving you a heads up. I also turned on Google's 2 step verification since then. It's a PITA, but if it keeps this from happening again, its worth it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ive changed my PW, and checked my google checkout. All looks good. Will keep an eye out for the next few days to make sure nothing is going on.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Be careful with this. What rooting method/custom rom did you use/install?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
I used the three step rooting method from the XDA forum. I am running the lightning rom by Chingy.

I was stuck on step 3 of the root and did allow someone to connect to my pc and do step 7 of the manual root process through ADB. I watched the entire time though and from what I could see he only did what was in the step 7 process.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used the three step rooting method from the XDA forum. I am running the lightning rom by Chingy.

I was stuck on step 3 of the root and did allow someone to connect to my pc and do step 7 of the manual root process through ADB. I watched the entire time though and from what I could see he only did what was in the step 7 process.

Hmmm was the Guy trust worthy? Did you notify the rom maker that there might be something his rom? I think there was something in the market that can search your phone for possible apps that might steal data ever since that whole thing about malware in the market. I forgot what it was called though :-( lookout mobile maybe? I know xuedoxus was also making an app like this. Good thing you checked. It's also possible it could have been the ruu images used when rooting. Hopefully changing your password fixed it.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Yeah im comfortable he was trust worthy and like I said I watched him enter in the information right from the guide. I did download AVG and run a scan with it and it only threw up warning for Superuser and wifi tether.

I have changed my password and set up 2 step verification.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah im comfortable he was trust worthy and like I said I watched him enter in the information right from the guide. I did download AVG and run a scan with it and it only threw up warning for Superuser and wifi tether.

I have changed my password and set up 2 step verification.

That's good to hear the 2 step verification seems kinda annoying but in this case could be a great asset.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I was stuck on step 3 of the root and did allow someone to connect to my pc and do step 7 of the manual root process through ADB.
oh man you SHOULD never do that. Nobody is trustworthy over the internet. I hope you shut off remote access since then.

Do yourself a favor and NEVER allow anyone remote access to your computer again.

Droid--->ether--->this thread

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Cereal thanks for the concern but I used teamviewer to allow a one time connection. After he was done TV was uninstalled. I font have remote access turned on. I use vnc for personal use.

I understand you having to give the warning but IM not your typical user. I would be considered advanced.

Thanks!!!