1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Should I be doing this?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Chris0311, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Chris0311

Chris0311 New Member

I'm not going to lie, I'm not too computer smart. I know all the basics but the possibility of me totally fudging up my droid because I don't know what the hell I'm doing is a possibility. I like the concept of rooting my phone but should I really be doing this if I don't know what I am doing? Anyone can read forums and see how to do it but actually doing it is another option. Does anyone know of anyone in or near the Denver area that can help me do this if I am willing to pay them. I don't know if there any penalties/reprocussions to doing this but would like to do it.
  2. jasonwuzthere

jasonwuzthere New Member

Most forum tutorials give you step-by-step instructions with pictures. I'm sure if you read through it a few times, then tried it while reading through, you'll find it isn't that hard.
    There is no split second timing involved or anything. If you can rename a file (right click on it, click rename, type the new name), and drag and drop files, then it's pretty simple. You don't really need adb and all of that to simply root your phone.
    I guess I'm making a bold assumption that you don't use a mac?
  3. Chris0311

Chris0311 New Member

your assumption would be correct. im not as worried about rooting the phone but having to wipe the phone and install an older version on the phone. this one i just got is new and is running 2.1
  4. slgunnel

slgunnel New Member

You don't need to go to an older version - do a search for how to root 2.1 and you will find a lot of step-by-step instructions. DO NOT follow the ones that require you go to an older version - those are old and out dated. Read through the instructions 2 or 3 times and then do it following the instructions. Heck, you can root to 2.2 now if you want - just be sure to read, read some more, and then read one more time for good measure.

Good luck!
  5. jasonwuzthere

jasonwuzthere New Member

Here, check this out.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/10247-how-install-2-1-easy-way.html

It's a pretty easy and clear tutorial. You're simply installing an update.zip in Android's recovery. Just make sure you have your battery charged before you do it. Once you have root access, you can install clockwork recovery from ROM Manager, without getting your "hands dirty". Just be aware that ROM manager will restart your phone on it's own, and install clockwork recovery, then reboot. Just don't touch it. It make take a few minutes (5 or 10 sometimes) to finish rebooting. Just don't touch it.

To directly answer your question. If you need/want the benefits of root access/custom ROMs, then yes, you should probably try it. But I also take no responsibility if you decide to pull your battery and/or throw your phone in water while it is flashing the recovery.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  6. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

7. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

we have videos and guides to help you root. Though it is easy to learn. Ensure you understand what is going on. Rom manager will root for you but you need to understand what is going on before rooting incase something goes wrong. that way you can fix it with out panicking.
  8. Chris0311

Chris0311 New Member

Thanks guys. I tried to install the froyo 2.2 but something went wrong. I will read some more on this tomorrow and let you all know how it turns out.