Should I a have Waited for the Droid 4, Or was getting the Stratosphere worrth IT

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
:blink:

I had the droid 2 and got the Stratosphere as I wanted a VZW 4G slider so I could browse the web while on the phone at fast speeds (Think Iphone on ATT but with 4G speeds) and that was is the only option avail so far.
I have been waiting for the droid 4 to test in in the VZW store to see if it will be better than the stratosphere which I have found that the one I got is either a lemon or Glitch (see my post inthe stratosphere Forum)

When is the Droid 4 going to be in the VZW phone stores for comparison?????? So I can find out if I sould swap my possible lemon or wait for samsung fix or buy a droid 4?????:blink:

Waiting is no Fun:mad: IT the age of the internet isn't everything supposed to be faster now (hehheh:biggrin:)

Oh well the wait goes on ... Stay Tooned:pdancedroid

tdpolo26

Reaction score
if you enjoy the phone then no it wasnt a waste i feel that if people enjoy the that they have then what is the point of constantly waiting. i think in about one year we will reach the pinnacle of the fast advancements will end here. i think phones will get fast enough where software is going to be the major push and advancement.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I personally would have waited for the D4 because of the dual core CPU, 1 GB RAM and 1080p video camera.

tdpolo26

Reaction score
in the end i agree with silverfang i would have waited a bit longer but if you couldnt hold out at least you could get 4g and a slider

tiakaye18

Reaction score
I work for an indirect verizon store and the rumor is the d4 "should" be released feb 2nd but who knows really since it's been pushed back so many times. I honestly think you should have waited. Sorry bro

Jonas

Reaction score
I work for an indirect verizon store and the rumor is the d4 "should" be released feb 2nd but who knows really since it's been pushed back so many times. I honestly think you should have waited. Sorry bro

Can you elaborate a little more? I don't mean to offend, but this just looks like another rumor date to me. Have you seen any ship dates or paperwork?

Sent from my Banana Phone

tiakaye18

Reaction score
Can you elaborate a little more? I don't mean to offend, but this just looks like another rumor date to me. Have you seen any ship dates or paperwork?

Sent from my Banana Phone

Well i DID say it was rumored to come out in early Feb. I'm assuming its going to be fairly soon as we've already started receiving phone cases for the D4.

reybie

Reaction score
The stratosphere works pretty good but the sliding mechanism is kind of wierd for me. I can't explain it, my wife uses and it is pretty snappy. I was eligible to get it for cheap but I am holding out, patiently, for the D4. I make my phones last 2 years and I don't think the stratosphere could keep up that long for me.

nbucko

Reaction score
Really depends on what you're wanting out of your phone. The stratosphere isn't a bad device but won't have the following /modding support that the d4 "may" have. I'm sure the bootloader will be locked on the d4 so until that gets figured out you'll be stuck with roms only much like the stratosphere but for some reason phones with the DROID name just get a better following.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

sjay

Reaction score
Had similar issue VZW offered me a deal on the razr as compensation
It seems there are 2 known bugs . The one you descibe about the volume going from high to low and another Withe the reverse
Imagine lowering your volume for a meeting and the next call volume is through the roof
I had your issue and they are sending me a razr but not the max as its a known issue that has been reported to VZW
but not by many people. I imagine it was a bad batch or a glich or something that is doing it
But they told me they have submited the issue to Samsung and since they didn.t have a fix they sent me the older razr at reduced cost after a lo theng trouble shoting session over the last month.
It just took me about 2 hours to register for this forum and post a reply from my strat since the razr Monday. I typed this all on the touchscreen of the strat for practice of having an all touchscreen phone. A friend of mine says get a blackbery as he lovds them or sugests I sell it on Ebay and get the razr max to someone who doesnt have an upgrade and and is ok with the razr. My wife thinks I would lose money doing it but he thinks might not be much. I hope I like the razr and I am now typying faster on the touchscreen after 2 hours of getting past the register screen without using the keyboard.My vote is the lg aly slides the easiest ans so dies my friend and I think the Droid 2 had the best keyboard as whst I have found is thst as the phones get taller and the keyboard gets wider that the keybosrds are harder to use.

Well I hear the Droid 4 rumor is Feb 2
Bsttery low more later

Last edited:

tiakaye18

Reaction score
My vote is the lg aly slides the easiest

Do NOT get the LG Ally. Yes it slides easier but its a horrible phone. Its the phone I had before my rezound and I will NEVER go back. Besides the obvious that the screen is about 10 times smaller than what you have on your stratosphere now, there's SO many bugs with it. Mine lagged like no other, would constantly turn off on its own. It'd take me forever to send or receive a text. Some of my saved apps on my sd card would just up and disappear etc. HORRIBLE. My Ally didn't have any water damage or physical damage so nothing I did to it caused it to bug out on me. Its just how the phone is & is discontinued for good reason.

sjay

Reaction score
I went from lg aly which was a great but slow phone to a Droid 2 to a stratisphere which is buggy

Sent from my SCH-I405 using DroidForums

Reaction score
Pros to the D4:

-Dual core processor
-1GB ram
-Will for sure get ICS
-1080p recording
-Way more internal memory
-8mp camera
-Will probably be able to use it in the OEM docks with a case like you can with the D3/DX/DX2

Pros to the Strat

-Unlocked bootloader
-AMOLED screen
-FREE
-Removable battery

The Strat is a good phone but it is a dated phone that came out in 2010 (It is a clone of the Epic for all intents and purposes). The AMOLED screen is still amazing and I know from having the Epic how good movies and videos look on the Strat. Camera is actually pretty decent and takes pictures VERY fast, the keyboard is omfg great and my experience with the Epic keyboard definitely makes it the best phone keyboard ever in my mind.

Here is the thing, the Strat is free, the 4G radio in the D4 is still 1st gen so it will still have the same ridiculous battery drain/connectivity issues that plague other LTE phones, the Strat has an unlocked bootloader, keyboard is time proven stellar, the Touchwiz interface is pretty decent and once the developers get going on this phone it will easily have a 2 year service life. The Epic just got CM9 so we know the Strat will be able to as well, last time I checked there was at least 1 deodexed/zipaligned rom out for the Strat. Only issue I see with the Strat is it going EOL really fast and not many people having them because of all the crazy dual cores and the general public, for the most part, knowing precisely **** about their phones other than how to facebook stalk or tweet meaningless drivel that nobody but them reads. For someone who is due for an upgrade, does not want to spend $200, and wants a 4G slider the Strat is a perfectly good phone for the next 2 years. My Epic was overclocked to 1.4GHZ, running a custom rom with the MTL file format, completely de-bloated and it could run circles around some of the newer unrooted dual cores that guys I work with have.

Also, whoever suggested he get an Aly should probably receive a 2 week ban lol.

ThisIsMyName

Reaction score
I got a Samsung Stratosphere and I'm pretty happy with it. Given that the Droid 4 only has a non replaceable ~1780 mAh battery and the LTE radios suck up a ton of power, I have no interest in it even if it has otherwise nice specs. I've got a 3,000 mAh battery in my Stratosphere and have no worries about battery life now (even if I did, I could just swap out batteries like I did on my OG Droid). The unlocked bootloader for the Stratosphere is icing on the cake.

Reaction score
Or if not living in a 4g area go with the free and still very good Droid 3. Minus the 512k ram in the d3 I actually feel it is the superior phone in a non 4g area.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums