Should Google have commercials for Android?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by iPirate, Apr 22, 2010.

1. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are all these iPhone commercials and they aren't showing anything special that Android can't do, so why doesn't Google show off their OS?

Should I question the advertisement King's choice to not have commercials? lol :icon_ banana:

2. pyro6128

pyro6128 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +8
    There are a bunch moto droid commercials that show off android

3. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Verizon pays for them and they don't show off Android as much as they show off Droid etc...

4. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Google is providing the operating system free to the hardware manufacturers, and the trade off probably (among other things) is to have the phone manufacturers/carriers pay for the ads. Verizon is doing a heck of a good job in that area.

5. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Because consumers buy phones, not operating systems.

6. pyro6128

pyro6128 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +8
    you have to remember that apple makes both the operating system and the hardware. That is not the case with android. It doesn't really pay for google to make commercials for their operating system because it is spread across different platforms and comes in different forms. It would be a very generic and not very effective marketing strategy. It makes more sense for each carrier to advertise for google. Google gets the benefit of advertising without the expense. That's a pretty sweet deal. Not to mention they get badass commercials like the ones that are around for the droid. The droid commercials focus on android entirely as well, they don't really mention the phone itself. Sure they show the droid and all, but the features they talk about are android features. There are also the mytouch commercials making the rounds.

7. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    idk about that :p

8. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure I get the "Apple is doing it so why isn't Google?" reasoning...

It would make more sense to me to assess if there would be any benefit to having Android itself advertised versus the current approach of having each device advertised. I tend to agree with jsh1120 that the masses don't make their purchasing decisions based on the phone's OS. Enthusiasts might and it might seem to make sense from the enthusiast (i.e. DroidForums.net user) perspective but enthusiasts make up a tiny fraction of a percentage of the entire market.

I'm trying to think of an analogous situation. The closest I can think of is if GM (or any auto maker) decided to market the different car platforms that are shared among its brands in addition to marketing the specific models. How many car buyers actually know the names of the platform that their car is based on aside from the car enthusiasts?

Even that example isn't all that great an analogy since the car platforms aren't handed off to external companies for them to create potentially different products. Hopefully someone can add a better analogy to the discussion.

Regardless, how many TV ads do you see for Google to begin with? Their recent Superbowl ad is the first I can think of.

#8 takeshi, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  9. smokiedabong

smokiedabong Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I don't know , it looks to me that everywhere I look I see the Google phone , almost all sites I visit have a banner with it . It's Google , it has 2 billion hits per day , it does not need advertisement .

[​IMG]

10. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw an iPhone ad and it didn't show off anything Android couldn't do and Android could do it better. Apple has more sales than Android phones so I thought why isn't Google advertising because normally this is how a company gets more sales and the thread was made.

Google has several commercials for Chrome.

iPhone isn't just hardware, if it was a hardware sale I don't see why people would be buying the iPhone. The choice is mostly based off the software, first because 99% of the public has no ideas what a mhz is and they don't care, but they do want an app that finds the nearest toilet when they need to ****. And if "there is an app for that" is repeated in their heads they will think iPhone is clearly the winner!

11. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "but they do want an app that finds the nearest toilet when they need to ****."

I want an app for that on Android. Can't tell you how helpful that would be. I could actually plan my day off near areas with good, clean toilets. Maybe even a review of each site about its' cleanliness. OOOOH that would be awesome.

You do realize I am joking. RIGHT?

12. pyro6128

pyro6128 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +8
    In the Seinfeld reunion on Curb your enthusiasm George had gotten rich by making an iphone app that did just that. But then he lost all of the money in a divorce. Then reconciled with his wife, but she made him sign a prenup, so he couldn't actually get his money back haha.