Should Droid X owners be worried?

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
They got the keys??! What thread is it in?

Sent from my DROIDX

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just kidding I found it, can't wait to unlock it

Sent from my DROIDX

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
seems like drod and team phoenix won't support the X. Hopefully fab still supports apex and we'll see how long jrummy/kejar support liberty. Im sure darkslide and fission will still see some updates as well.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Im sure someone will still be working on them. I know we at GRD are going to be working on d2g's and we'll probably try to work on d2/x's also. Was a little disappointing seeing all the dev's go over to the T-bolt though.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im sure someone will still be working on them. I know we at GRD are going to be working on d2g's and we'll probably try to work on d2/x's also. Was a little disappointing seeing all the dev's go over to the T-bolt though.

I was going to say now that they cracked the bootloader wouldn't that mean more ROM's. Look at the D1 they are always cranking out ROMs for that phone.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

I was going to say now that they cracked the bootloader wouldn't that mean more ROM's. Look at the D1 they are always cranking out ROMs for that phone.

Bootloader is still locked though. Nenolod was just being a troll :icon_evil:

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
And the FreeMyMoto team is still hard at work basting this bad boy, even with the troll this past weekend

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
They can work as hard as they want. By time it happens, if it ever happens, the X will be ancient. Just my opinion though. I could be wrong.

Skilover

Reaction score
Are the best of the ROMS better than stock, in terms of speed, responsiveness, battery life, stability? Or, are they at best the same, but give you more cosmetic flexibility? I'm having battery and other issues with Rooted but stock ROM, and am now considering a custom one (Liberty). I'm not unhappy with how it looks now, however, as I've been able to use some Gingerbread themes etc. without replacing the ROM. Also, I'm using Rummy's Overclock, and it is acting very strangely, it is creating endless notifications about using excessive CPU--Maybe it will play better with the Liberty ROM.

humungus

Reaction score
Are the best of the ROMS better than stock, in terms of speed, responsiveness, battery life, stability? Or, are they at best the same, but give you more cosmetic flexibility? I'm having battery and other issues with Rooted but stock ROM, and am now considering a custom one (Liberty). I'm not unhappy with how it looks now, however, as I've been able to use some Gingerbread themes etc. without replacing the ROM. Also, I'm using Rummy's Overclock, and it is acting very strangely, it is creating endless notifications about using excessive CPU--Maybe it will play better with the Liberty ROM.

Fission, Liberty, and Rubix are all good choices if you want something vanilla-ish. If you want something as close to vanilla as possible choose Fission. If you want something that maximizes your ability to tweak the look/performance of your rom, choose Liberty. If you want something that comes pre-optimized, performance wise, but is still very close to vanilla, choose Rubix.

Personally, I've always preferred Rubix. Drod makes performance optimizations (cpu, memory, and kernel tweaks) but tries to keep everything else very close to vanilla. I've always found Drod's stuff to be both stable and fast. I ran Liberty 1.5 for a bit, but experienced battery life issues. My understanding, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that Kejar perhaps went just a bit too far initially in removing remaining blur components and this caused negative battery life. I don't know if this has been resolved, or even if this was indeed what happened, but I've been too happy with RubiX to switch since then. I haven't run Fission in awhile, but I always found it to be stable, though I don't see much reason to prefer it to Rubix unless you want to use Imoseyon's tweaks and want a clean base.

If you want blur based roms, you can either try Drod's Blurry or Fab's Apex. I believe Blurry is still just a debloated stock build with Drod's optimizations. Apex, on the other hand, has added customizations along the line of Liberty (many choices for apps/themes), and has added some of Drod's and Imoseyon's performance tweaks. Apex used to have issues implementing the performance tweaks, but I'd assume that those have been resolved. I ran Apex for a bit and it was nice. It wasn't quite as fast as the AOSP-like roms, but it was speedy. Futhermore, blur based roms facilitate better battery life than the AOSP-like roms, presumably because there aren't missing components causing system issues. Of course, with my extended battery I get 16-20 hours on Rubix so the extra time I get from blur based roms isn't needed. While Apex is blur based, it does theme things to look as vanilla as possible without sacrificing blur functionality. It's a nice middle ground for people wanting that sort of thing.

JRummy's Droid overclock is great, but you might want to give Quickclock a look. It tests your phone at different voltages/frequencies and will produce something like an optimal pairing of frequencies to voltages (though you may need to adjust these a bit after tinkering). It'll also create presets (battery life, balanced, and performance) which you switch between. These presets can also be loaded into Droid overclock, so you can use JRummy's awesome app too.

EDIT: After all that I didn't even answer your damn question! Yes, all of these are better than stock blur. The AOSP-like roms are all much faster than stock, and the blur-based roms, while not as fast as AOSP-like roms, are still faster than stock. With AOSP-like roms you lose some blur functionality and a bit of battery life, but you gain lots of speed. With blur based roms you speed over stock blur (though not as much as AOSP-like) and you retain almost all/all of the blur functionality.

Also, I haven't tried Tranquility or DarkSlide so I can't really speak about how they compare to the above roms. Some people seem to really like them, so they're worth investigating as well. I believe they're both blur based roms, so apply the above paragraph here.

Last edited:

Skilover

Reaction score
Fission, Liberty, and Rubix are all good choices if you want something vanilla-ish. If you want something as close to vanilla as possible choose Fission. If you want something that maximizes your ability to tweak the look/performance of your rom, choose Liberty. If you want something that comes pre-optimized, performance wise, but is still very close to vanilla, choose Rubix.

EDIT: After all that I didn't even answer your damn question! Yes, all of these are better than stock blur. The AOSP-like roms are all much faster than stock, and the blur-based roms, while not as fast as AOSP-like roms, are still faster than stock. With AOSP-like roms you lose some blur functionality and a bit of battery life, but you gain lots of speed. With blur based roms you speed over stock blur (though not as much as AOSP-like) and you retain almost all/all of the blur functionality.

Also, I haven't tried Tranquility or DarkSlide so I can't really speak about how they compare to the above roms. Some people seem to really like them, so they're worth investigating as well. I believe they're both blur based roms, so apply the above paragraph here.

Humugus: Thank you SO much for the extensive, thorough reply. That was very, very educational. I didn't realize there are two forms of ROMs, "Blur" and "AOSP". I assume "Blur" is the Motorola tweaks to Android; what is "AOSP?" I, too, have the extended battery, so would guess I should hit one of the AOSP roms, and try to maximize speed.

The one thing that doesn't work well in JRummy's Overclock are the custom settings--when I"ve used them, the app acts out, and starts taking over half the Device's CPU--If I stick with his pre-set settings, this does not happen. So, your clever idea of combining QuickClock settings with Overclock won't really work. I have used Overclock as well, and I think Rummy's does a better job, but it also uses much more voltage, as it doesn't try to optimize it.

It sounds like it's well worth while to try a custom ROM, and it helps to understand what they really do. Thanks!

Skilover

Reaction score
Can you use themes developed for one ROM on another, or are they completely specific? For example, Rubix seems to have very few themes--Liberty has tons of them. Can you use one on the other? Or, if one ROM is "Blur" based, can you use other themes designed for "Blur" based ROMS? Thanks!

gudziel1482

Reaction score
Can you use themes developed for one ROM on another, or are they completely specific? For example, Rubix seems to have very few themes--Liberty has tons of them. Can you use one on the other? Or, if one ROM is "Blur" based, can you use other themes designed for "Blur" based ROMS? Thanks!

I believe the general answer is "No, they can not be crossed unless they are ported over." You will see some Themes made specifically, for example, rubiX and not Apex. Or you will see ROMs for both Apex and Liberty, but not Fission/rubiX. Sometimes, you will see dev's "port" them over to work with other ROM's. This is usually all stated within the first or second post of that Theme's thread.

I am by no means all-knowing on this subject, so I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me. But that's what I think is true.

humungus

Reaction score

AOSP = Android Open Source project. The DX AOSP-like roms are developers' attempts to make the software as close to what Google produces as possible. Phone manufacturers take Google's software and add a bunch of their own stuff to it (they also often theme the hell out of it). Many people around these parts don't like what the manufacturers add, so they want to get rid of it. Unfortunately, the DX's bootloader is encrypted which stops people from completely replacing Moto's software (which they call blur). There's a foundational part of the software called a kernel that we can't change, and it's built expecting all the blur stuff to be there. So, devs take the stuff we can change and strip out as much of the blur stuff as they can, hoping that the kernel will still play nice without it.

As for themes, unless specifically stated, they're rom-specific. You certainly shouldn't try to flash a theme made for one rom on another rom, as you'll probably end up needing to flash an .sbf (the last line of resort) if you can't get back into recovery and load a backup/flash a new rom. Each rom is different in certain foundational ways (they often have a different framework-res.apk file), and themes are just copies of a rom's framework (and other files) with images and stuff changed. Thus, taking a theme from Apex and using it on, say, Liberty will mess things up because you're basically taking part of Apex and plopping into Liberty...which is bad. There are exceptions, though. Rubix uses the same framework as an earlier version of Liberty, and I'd bet they're still quite similar. So some themes might work on both roms, but I certainly wouldn't chance it unless you're comfortable using an .sbf file.

There are many more themes for Liberty because Liberty is much more popular. Drod hasn't had a DX for a long time so releases haven't come as quickly as they used to. Plus, Liberty's got some awesome features. JRummy and Kejar have done a heck of a job baking in really popular features. If I were you, and were just starting out, I'd probably check out Liberty. There's just so much you can do to change things around it's definitely a better place to explore.

I imagine some of the blur based roms share a framework but I can't speak to that. I think Apex has a good number of themes and I know that Tranquility does. I wouldn't trying mixing themes unless you're feeling adventurous. On the other hand, breaking stuff and then learning how to fix it is how you really learn about this stuff.

Last edited:

luv2increase

Reaction score
Always been stock myself....haven't seen a custom rom that works 100%

Liberty 1.5 does. You just have to know what your doing. Don't be afraid to ask for help. It is what we are here for :)

Sent via DX free with Liberty 1.5