shortcut option on home page missing

mhubel

Reaction score
I find all the methods for generating a shortcut on a home page for a phone number or web page assumes that a long press on the screen will bring up a menu with a shortcut option. On mine (with 4.1.2) when doing a long press the menu which comes up with only an option to chose the wallpaper. Is there some other way?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here is how I have been doing that for a while now. On a screen with open space for a new icon....open your app drawer and select Widgets. If you have it available on your phone model you will see options for Bookmarks, Direct Dial, Direct Message, etc. Hold and drag Bookmark to an open space on the screen and drop it...which will create an icon and then open your bookmarks and you pick the website to map to the icon. Then there is Direct Dial...drop that widget and then you pick which Contact phone number to map to it. Same for Direct Message...will let you pick a Contact to have a direct icon to open text messages. Then if you add multiple Direct Dials, Messages or Bookmarks...drag them on top of each other to make folders and name the folder whatever you want. Hope that is what you were looking for.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
M

mhubel

Reaction score
Here is how I have been doing that for a while now. On a screen with open space for a new icon....open your app drawer and select Widgets. If you have it available on your phone model you will see options for Bookmarks, Direct Dial, Direct Message, etc. Hold and drag Bookmark to an open space on the screen and drop it...which will create an icon and then open your bookmarks and you pick the website to map to the icon. Then there is Direct Dial...drop that widget and then you pick which Contact phone number to map to it. Same for Direct Message...will let you pick a Contact to have a direct icon to open text messages. Then if you add multiple Direct Dials, Messages or Bookmarks...drag them on top of each other to make folders and name the folder whatever you want. Hope that is what you were looking for.

That seemed to have worked. I almost never use widgets so finding this by trial and error was rather unlikely.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Cool...glad that worked for you.