Short Hands-on with Motorola RAZR (2011) and its water-resistant coating + New Teaser

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
A new hands on video of the RAZR demonstrating it's water resistance feature among others.

[video=youtube;-YMH0HmQ1No]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-YMH0HmQ1No[/video]

[video=youtube;TgzPBmCGC94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TgzPBmCGC94[/video]

Via: YouTube

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
That phone is huge. I'm re-excited in this device. My D1 is overheating now just on a whim. Nexus or Razr?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I fell in love with the Razr but every time I see a video of the Nexus, I think I may cheat!

The screen swipes on the Nexus is amazing, the Razr has that 3D rotating panel animation and for me it looks like it stutters.

Still I'll wait until I can hold the phone in my hands.

Jonas

Reaction score
I think these are great phones, but you guys are kinda creeping me out talking about falling in love with them...

The thing that kills me is phones like this... Yeah, they are cute and nifty now, but where will they be in 3 or 4 months? I currently rock a D2G and yeah it's not the latest greatest end all do all phone out there, but it's not over heating, it doesn't have bugs, and it's a damn good phone.

I live an active lifestyle, and my D2G has taken a few spills, and it keeps right on. My girl friend and I were fooling around in a park last night and she has the Atrix, and I picked her up and swung her around, and her atrix goes flying across the park and lands in pieces on the walkway. If my D2G had done the same thing I would have picked it up in one piece, still on and working.

The thing I'm trying to say is that these phones coming out now are like that iPod Nano when it was first released. They are trying to be the smallest thing, but are they really worth the small fortune you pay? Thats fantastic that you can take 1080p video, and it's it's got the latest OS, but if I'm riding my motorcycle, and heaven forbid I go down, I want a phone I will be able to fall on, and still have it working enough to call the paramedics, not one I will pull pieces of out of my pocket. I just think going the way of smaller phones is not always the answer.

With that said, I think that water repelling technology is brilliant, and I do look forward to seeing more of that, and that Gorilla glass in more phones.

(Let the Flaming begin)

Heywood

Reaction score
Woohoo! Finally a tissue I can blow my nose on and reuse it forever!

I was hoping that bloke would drop the RAZR in the test tank:(

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I think these are great phones, but you guys are kinda creeping me out talking about falling in love with them...

The thing that kills me is phones like this... Yeah, they are cute and nifty now, but where will they be in 3 or 4 months? I currently rock a D2G and yeah it's not the latest greatest end all do all phone out there, but it's not over heating, it doesn't have bugs, and it's a damn good phone.

I live an active lifestyle, and my D2G has taken a few spills, and it keeps right on. My girl friend and I were fooling around in a park last night and she has the Atrix, and I picked her up and swung her around, and her atrix goes flying across the park and lands in pieces on the walkway. If my D2G had done the same thing I would have picked it up in one piece, still on and working.

The thing I'm trying to say is that these phones coming out now are like that iPod Nano when it was first released. They are trying to be the smallest thing, but are they really worth the small fortune you pay? Thats fantastic that you can take 1080p video, and it's it's got the latest OS, but if I'm riding my motorcycle, and heaven forbid I go down, I want a phone I will be able to fall on, and still have it working enough to call the paramedics, not one I will pull pieces of out of my pocket. I just think going the way of smaller phones is not always the answer.

With that said, I think that water repelling technology is brilliant, and I do look forward to seeing more of that, and that Gorilla glass in more phones.

(Let the Flaming begin)

No flame, just information for you.

Razr has the Grillia Glass (I believe your D2G has it). And a Kavar backing, which the first video said was used in bullet proof vests and 5 X stronger then steel construction.

Also I agree with you, if you have a current phone that you're rockin, no need to buy a new phone (unless you can afford it and really want to).

I have an OG Droid and my NE2 is up in May, so I'm intrested in the new phones coming out. This Razr was a major interest for me, until D4 photos popped up, so that's coming and I prefer a physical keyboard.

The Razr really isn't small, just thin. But yes some phones are trying to be thinner then the last.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Best thing to do will be to HOLD both phones.

Everyone is making up their minds before even knowing how the phones feel!!!! Haven't even swiped a screen yet but wanna say which one is superior.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While yes, Kevlar is used in both this phone and in bullet proof vests, I would be willing to be bet that not only will this phone not stop a bullet, but you could snap the backing in half with your bare hands (except for the fact that the backing doesn't come off because it has a non-removable battery). Doing a couple years worth of work with composites (Kevlar, Carbon Fiber, fiber glass) in school, I can confidnetly say that the use of Kevlar in this phone is nothing more than a PR pitching point and an aesthetic design feature.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Best thing to do will be to HOLD both phones.

Everyone is making up their minds before even knowing how the phones feel!!!! Haven't even swiped a screen yet but wanna say which one is superior.

So many people forget this fact. I have a good idea which one I want but until I actually hands on with it I prefer not to commit the $$$$ it will take to acquire. Even if this means that I miss out on pre-orders and need to wait a week or 2.

While yes, Kevlar is used in both this phone and in bullet proof vests, I would be willing to be bet that not only will this phone not stop a bullet, but you could snap the backing in half with your bare hands (except for the fact that the backing doesn't come off because it has a non-removable battery). Doing a couple years worth of work with composites (Kevlar, Carbon Fiber, fiber glass) in school, I can confidnetly say that the use of Kevlar in this phone is nothing more than a PR pitching point and an aesthetic design feature.

If it is not stopping a bullet I do not want it. I live in a rough neighborhood (not an accurate statement) and it is a necessity.
On a serious note I agree that it is just a PR pitch. Other then it most likely decreasing the weight slightly I do not for see any other major benefits.

Jonas

Reaction score
I hope this kevlar silliness doesn't lead into carbon fiber on the phones, to make it that 1/8th of an ounce lighter.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this kevlar silliness doesn't lead into carbon fiber on the phones, to make it that 1/8th of an ounce lighter.

I'm actually surprised they went with Kevlar over CF in this case. Kevlar is a naturally yellow material while CF has the black/greyish weave look, which the Razr has. My only guess is that since Kevlar is actually a "brand name" that 3M (I think is the patent holder for Kevlar) subsidized the material in the phone to get their name out there and made the procurement, production, and implementation cheaper over all.

That or because of other materials becoming more prominent in the bullet proofing, there was a ton of of surplus material that they need to get rid of.

Random Fact: Some composites actually have a shelf life before they can't be used in certain industrial applications (typically the types that are pre-impregnated with resin, but still)

Jonas

Reaction score
I think kevlar is more of a house hold name than CF. I'm into cars, so I know exactly wht it is, where as my mom wouldn't have a clue, but she knows what kevlar is. That might be another reason.