1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Short but Sweet Question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Risika, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Risika

Risika New Member

This is a short but sweet question, could be stupid, could have been answered. I'm sorry I'm new >.< I haven't become completely comfortable navigating this site yet. So my bad I couldn't find this question anywhere.

I have a Moto Droid 1 (original) I've had one since they came out. Amazing phone and I've never been more satisfied with a phone ever. I've known about rooting for some time now just have choose not to do it to my phone for warranty purposes. Which I know it's possible to reverse a rooted phone but I choose to be safe. Well now that it's been so long I figured what the heck I'll do it. My question is would it be safe to do this on my work computer? :) Because I'm pretty interested in doing this soon =D because I'm looking at doing it using this threads directions ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html ) unless there is a better way to do it on a public computer....well it's not public because I'm the only one that uses it but... hopefully you understand what I mean

I hope I posted this in the correct area if not let me know! Thanks for your help.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    If you are still on FRG22D you can use an app called z4root, then follow the instructions I just posted in my Now What? thread linked to in my signature (should be last post or close to it) to get the custom recovery image. All you'll need to do besides install and run z4root is to install Astro and ROM Manager from the market and download a file to your phone.
  3. Risika

Risika New Member

Thank you, That would be awesome, but bummer for me I am FRG83D. >.< so I guess I'll have to wait to do it on a desktop. Is there any difference in the root depending on how you root the device?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. furbearingmammal

If you root the device you have root. Period. Replacing the recovery image means you have more complete access than rooting the OS but you don't need root access to the OS to have a replacement recovery image.

If you want to ROM you need the custom recovery image.
  5. Risika

Risika New Member

Alright, this brings up a few more questions. So if I follow those directions on the link I posted originally...

1- will this allow me to use tethering without a plan? or do I need a certain rom for this? If i use tethering without a plan with verizon could they tell if i was using if for a ps3/wii/laptop etc.

2- what roms would you suggest I use being I'm so new to this?

I greatly appreciate the help.
    Thanks!!
  6. furbearingmammal

I'm going to come right out and make myself very unpopular. If you're thinking of tethering for gaming don't.

Just... Don't. Don't. Do. Not. No.

The lag is tremendous, the bandwidth usage is phenomenal, and the people you game with will NOT be happy. 3G tops out at around 100-120Kps and even the slowest hardline will generally run 200-300Kps on a bad day when connecting to the gaming servers, depending. It's just not a good idea.

You can tether without a plan via USB without being rooted. Look at the apps PDA Net and Easy Tether. Verizon cannot track if you are tethering or not, Wifi or USB, but if you're consistently using 20+GB a month they'll know something is up, and I saw someone bragging about using over 65GB in a couple weeks, but they didn't post after that first month. Verizon Wireless can, and will, terminate your service and possibly make you pay the early termination fee if you tether excessively because it's in direct violation of their TOS. Furthermore, heat is the enemy of our phones and WiFi tethering not only uses battery like nobody's business if it's not plugged in, the heat it generates is... surprising.

Unlimited means unlimited, but if you're obviously violating your TOS they can come down on you.

If, however, you're going to push ahead anyway then feel free. The links in my signature are to apps that will work on any FroYo install or Eclair install with a custom kernel (or netfilter-enabled stock kernel). They're reliable provided you work within the limitations of the Ad-Hoc mode (the Wii and iPod Touches will NOT connect, nor will most tablet PCs) for the WiFi tethering and Windows 7 has it own quirks, and USB tethering actually charges your battery while you're using it.

ROMs I can suggest are every one on this board with some reservations. Please note, this is NOT a definitive list and it's based on subjective and objective observations.

CyanogenMod 6.1. The developers are known as Team Douche for a reason, but it is the most kanged ROM out there and is, honestly, the one to beat. Over 250,000 installs on various devices in various builds. It has a very stock-like feel but when you start digging the modifications and tweaks are nearly endless.

Simply Stunning 4.9. The developer is a cool guy and his kernels are awesome if you can run them (ultra-low voltage is great for battery life if your phone can handle them), but SS may be aimed at more "geeky"/advanced users.

Charity. I know nothing about it except it's stable and smooth and all donations to the dev are redonated to clean up the Gulf.

Ultimate Droid. The latest builds seem to be surprisingly buggy and there can be a steep learning curve for some users. Do not ask about their history here on the forum as discussing it isn't allowed. I point this out because if you dig into things you might come across some dated information. It is currently a perennial favorite on this forum in particular and you will see a LOT of themes for it as well as a LOT of users flashing UD colors in their signature.

MIUI. All I'm going to say is that this ROM has some really cool features but without an aftermarket launcher a new user will be totally lost. Also the installation can be tricky.

Bugless Beast v.5. I don't recommend this ROM for two reasons -- the installation can be tricky and if it's not done right you WILL have problems, and users keep reporting annoying update notices without my seeing a satisfactory fix (though I have to admit, I haven't looked too deeply into it). The dev is a great supporter of the Android community.

Sapphire. The motto of this dev seems to be "change as little code as possible". The ROM is mature and stable (not that the others aren't).

There are others, and some may run fabulously on your phone while others don't. The fun is in finding out what does and what doesn't. :) However, this question has been asked so often my normal response is to throw up this emoticon with the following warning: If you ask what ROM is best you'll get 20 different answers from 25 different people.

[​IMG]

If you have any other questions that the answer isn't going to be "it depends on your phone", please feel free to ask as I'll try to help out as best I can.
  7. Risika

Risika New Member

this is not my full response, But thanks for all your info and opinions. Very Helpful. I however was not planning on gaming! I know my phone would not be able to handle that... looking to use it for gaming systems just to update or get a netflex movie. Things of that nature. Or for just getting online. So I will definitly have to check out those apps. Thank you so much for everything.