short battery life with 2.2

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Has anybody else had trouble with the battery life being short with 2.2? I charged my battery to full for got to turn it off so it a was on over night lock with screen of and ever thing and the next morning it was dead.

Droid Nana

Reaction score
I have also noticed shorter battery life since 2.2. I have to make sure I carry an extra battery with me if I am not going to be near my charger during the day..

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another forum member suggested to let the battery die down until the phone shuts off and then charge it up. It's supposed to help Froyo learn the sort of battery it's working with. It worked for me.

glienhard

Reaction score
I only run the auto brightness and sync, and shut off wifi, bluetooth and GPS. I just turn these on when needed. Doing this my battery lasts through the day with no problems. If I ever have battery issues, it is when I run the nav or use the phone for an extended period of time. Also, if I turn off the sync, the battery will last for about two days.

OP
sharkattack99

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Another forum member suggested to let the battery die down until the phone shuts off and then charge it up. It's supposed to help Froyo learn the sort of battery it's working with. It worked for me.

i did that i even had it to were i had it fully charged the night before turned off my phone and the next morning it wouldn't turn back on till i plugged in my phone again cause the battery died with it turned off, that was frustrating.

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
This is my first smartphone and battery life is my first issue with my new Droid: I'm lucky if the battery lasts even one day with little or no use. Didn't I read on another thread (not sure were) that this was an issue the Android devs know about and are trying to patch? Most of my phone's battery drain comes from the display, which switches off within seconds of me putting the phone down; makes no sense.

OP
sharkattack99

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
well see i could understand short battery life if i used it constanly cause well duh it will us more battery power but not using it or even turned off thats just rediculous.

ffej89

Reaction score
I realize that there are alot of new people to android and on our new bigger and better phones the batteries are lackluster at best.

Although many like task killers they really dont help at all. One app i started using that has done wonders for my battery life is Juice Defender. Look it up in the market and give it a try. My battery went from 10 hrs to over 20 hrs between charging.

ShoeSh1ne

Reaction score
You could buy the extended battery for the Droid 2. It fits in the Droid 1.

Shibbey

Reaction score
Extend Battery Life

I have heard several people complain about shorter battery life since the Froyo update. I am suspicious this has to do with the faster processor speed. With everything in life it is a give and take. Slightly better performance for shorter lived performance. LOL

So what can you do?

If you are rooted, download setCPU. Set up profiles to lower the CPU speed at times when you are less likely to need the speed (like when the screen is off). Set it to limit the CPU speed when your battery reaches a certain level. etc.

Rooted or not, try JuiceDefender. The drawback to this app, it turns your data signal completely off and on automatically. So you may not receive a SMS, MMS, or email message for a delayed amount of time. There are tons of settings to match your needs though. Give it a try, it seems to significantly extend my battery life.

Again, if you are rooted, try Autokiller. This is MUCH better than any task killer out there, as this app uses the native memory management system built into the Droid OS. The typical task killers are not good to use (plenty of info out there on this). This app will help keep your phone running smoothly. I recommend starting at a lower setting and slowly working to a higher setting till you find which works best for you. Idealy, you want it as low as possible with out signs of bogging down.

Good luck and I hope these tips help everyone out there experiencing short battery lives.

To see my list of apps (in case I have some other good ones you may like) click HERE!

SetCPU for Root Users
by MichaelHuang
50,000 downloads, 7060 ratings (4.7 avg)
$1.99
rating10.png

JuiceDefender - battery saver
by Latedroid
>250,000 downloads, 4691 ratings (3.9 avg)
Free
rating8.png

AutoKiller
by AndRS Studio
50,000 downloads, 2162 ratings (4.6 avg)
Free
rating9.png

josh

Reaction score
I have significantly worse battery life with 2.2. With moderate usage I can't even make it until bed time. Before 2.2 my phone would still usually have 40% or more left when I plugged it in at night. It's very frustrating. I haven't really changed any settings since upgrading.

OP
sharkattack99

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Yeah it gets frustrating but more frustrating when its off and uses battery power. Might just have see about getting a battery with a larger capacity I guess. I am going to try that juicedefender first and see if that helps fist or just irritates me.

Last edited:

crash_bandicoot

Reaction score
is there a way to remove 2.2 and not lose your apps? i use a battle.net authenticator and would cause all sorts of havoc if i lost that app.

Greg

Reaction score
Same exact thing just happened to me! It only has happened this one time so far.

Generally I'm able to get a full day of moderate usage on the battery. But last night, I decided to read in bed a bit. I was going to use Nook. So I charged my battery to 100% just before bed.

I ended up watching tv in bed instead. So I never used the Droid. When I got too tired to keep my eyes open anymore, I turned the volume to Silent and made sure all apps were closed.

When I work up this morning, my Droid was COMPLETELY DEAD!

It didn't even last the night with NO USAGE???

Back when 2.2 came out and I noticed the big difference with the battery I started doing things that I thought would help. I removed ALL my widgets except Beatiful Wident and turned my brightness way down and other things suggested on this site. And it did help SOME.

But NOTHING has drained my battery like this. Any ideas or help anyone?

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
I swear, wasn't there a thread on these forums (maybe I read it somewhere else) that reported the devs know about this phenomenon since the 2.2 update and that they were working on a quick update to address it?