sholesmod updater

huskur

Reaction score
Just went to download and did a search on the market and it is gone!! Can someone confirm this?

M

Matth3w

Wouldn't surprise me if that happened eventually...a program on the Market that allows you to void your warranty and hack your phone? I doubt Google would let that fly for very long. I just did a search for Sholes on the Market and the only result I got was SetCPU.

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
figures. I will from time to time. Don't know why they would take sholes off the market especially since it still can be done manually. Pisses me off

M

Matth3w

I'm not saying that's why it's not on the Market, there could be another reason, but I understand why. If you have to manually search out and find it online and transfer the apk to your phone, that's one thing. It's another totally different thing for any tom dick and harry and their kid to be able to download it off of the market, completely **** up their phone, and then try to blame Google for it either just because or because it was on the Google supported Market.

I think it's a stupid idea to use an app to do it for you and then make it public...then you have a bunch of completely clueless people rooting their Droid, cranking their **** up to 11, and when battery life goes down the toilet, when their CPU dies early after being run at min 1.3ghz/ max 1.3ghz for a year or six months, etc...then they are going to come crying by the droves. Whereas anyone that can handle typing in a few simple commands into a terminal emulator is more likely (in my opinion) of having a little more computer knowledge of what they are about to do and therefore will more likely understand the risks.

Now quite obviously you will have some computer geeks who are very knowledgeable using an updater mod just because it saves time and the above paragraph applies not one bit to them, but the easier you make an operation like this, the more COMPLETE noobs you will have rooting their phones who have no clue what they are doing. That's just my opinion and not a knock on anyone. But it's just my opinion that if you can't type commands properly into a terminal, you shouldn't be rooting your phone. Allowing a program like this openly on the Market really puts Google in a bad spot when people start screwing up their phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that's why it's not on the Market, there could be another reason, but I understand why. If you have to manually search out and find it online and transfer the apk to your phone, that's one thing. It's another totally different thing for any tom dick and harry and their kid to be able to download it off of the market, completely **** up their phone, and then try to blame Google for it either just because or because it was on the Google supported Market.

I think it's a stupid idea to use an app to do it for you and then make it public...then you have a bunch of completely clueless people rooting their Droid, cranking their **** up to 11, and when battery life goes down the toilet, when their CPU dies early after being run at min 1.3ghz/ max 1.3ghz for a year or six months, etc...then they are going to come crying by the droves. Whereas anyone that can handle typing in a few simple commands into a terminal emulator is more likely (in my opinion) of having a little more computer knowledge of what they are about to do and therefore will more likely understand the risks.

Now quite obviously you will have some computer geeks who are very knowledgeable using an updater mod just because it saves time and the above paragraph applies not one bit to them, but the easier you make an operation like this, the more COMPLETE noobs you will have rooting their phones who have no clue what they are doing. That's just my opinion and not a knock on anyone. But it's just my opinion that if you can't type commands properly into a terminal, you shouldn't be rooting your phone. Allowing a program like this openly on the Market really puts Google in a bad spot when people start screwing up their phones.

The reason it's down is because they are changing servers. They've found a new server and it will be back up shortly. All you really need to know is how to follow some simple steps to root your Droid, it doesn't have to be that complicated, really.

M

Matth3w

What do you mean? It seems awfully complicated based on the inability of some people to root with my guide...enough so that I think it discourages some people that have no ability to modify computers from screwing up their phone and blaming Google with an app that does everything for them.

Again, just my .02

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's back up now. Anybody who wants to root go over and please have a look. It's not rocket science, people.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i found the sholesmod the easiest way to do anything. not one walkthrough i've seen was as easy. i'm sure glad they're just down temporarily!! y--

M

Matth3w

It's not rocket science, people.
That was my whole point. I agree 100%. The problem lies with the fact that some things, especially things that can eventually ruin the phone, can be made to be TOO easy...so people that have no clue what they are doing can pay five bucks, download this app with no understanding of anything phone or computer related, overclock their phone to like 1.3ghz min and max...and then go crying to mommy and daddy in five months when their battery explodes or their CPU dies...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not rocket science, people.
That was my whole point. I agree 100%. The problem lies with the fact that some things, especially things that can eventually ruin the phone, can be made to be TOO easy...so people that have no clue what they are doing can pay five bucks, download this app with no understanding of anything phone or computer related, overclock their phone to like 1.3ghz min and max...and then go crying to mommy and daddy in five months when their battery explodes or their CPU dies...

Well, first with Sholes it's impossible to clock that fast. You could only go to 1 ghz. You'd have to be pretty dumb to set it to max and min on something like that as well. I think most people have a basic idea of that when they get to SetCPU. Can an accident happen? Sure, but nothing that you really can't recover from.

I don't think I've seen anybody who's done this who completely bricked their phone. I've seen people get stuck and have issue doing it the long, complicated way with both Sholes and BB. This takes the risk out of it, IMHO.

M

Matth3w

You'd have to be pretty dumb to set it to max and min on something like that as well.
This is what I want to focus on. When you put it on the market, any idiot browsing the market can not only attempt but do this.

And I wasn't talking about bricking the phone. I was talking about over a long period of time, some 12 year old kid who's parents bought him this phone and have a credit card on file, can download it, and without a single understanding of ANYTHING can easily set it to min-max of 1gHz. Over a period of time that will degenerate the phone.

I just think if you aren't competent enough to type some commands into terminal emulator and download stuff manually, you shouldn't be modding your phone. And I'm not pointing at anyone in this thread, I am just making a general observation. I have seen people make the comment that they can't/don't feel comfortable typing out commands and downloading files. I am saying that is a good benchmark to say "if you can't do this, you have no business rooting your phone."

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i found the walkthrough sticky by hacku the most incredible step by step guide for rooting and doing the sholesmod. i mean this guy completely tells you every step yur going to encounter! http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...sholesmod-updater-2-0-1-step-step-sticky.html i used this to help my sister dl the sholesmod thing and it was awesome....ok i'm done pattin hacku on the back :rofl3: (for now anyway lol)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You'd have to be pretty dumb to set it to max and min on something like that as well.
This is what I want to focus on. When you put it on the market, any idiot browsing the market can not only attempt but do this.

And I wasn't talking about bricking the phone. I was talking about over a long period of time, some 12 year old kid who's parents bought him this phone and have a credit card on file, can download it, and without a single understanding of ANYTHING can easily set it to min-max of 1gHz. Over a period of time that will degenerate the phone.

I just think if you aren't competent enough to type some commands into terminal emulator and download stuff manually, you shouldn't be modding your phone. And I'm not pointing at anyone in this thread, I am just making a general observation. I have seen people make the comment that they can't/don't feel comfortable typing out commands and downloading files. I am saying that is a good benchmark to say "if you can't do this, you have no business rooting your phone."

I get your point. And to an extent I agree with you. To be honest though I would have never rooted had this app not came out. It's intimidating to look at that long involved process.

Having the app do it for me took away most of the fear. I understood enough of what was going on to do it. Besides, there is much help in this forum, more then Carter has little liver pills. You yourself help people all the time.

M

Matth3w

Yes, but you are the exception. I'm not really talking about people on this forum because generally we are talking more towards the knowledgeable side than not. I just mean people that find apps and just click away. Hope that makes sense.