SholesMod Issue

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by deersnypr, Feb 17, 2010.

1. deersnypr

deersnypr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried using the SMUPdater, the lastest from sholes.info to put the custom rom on my droid. The droid roots fine, but during the next step after reseting and after the confirmation click throughs for reflashing the recovery, i get the following error:

"An error has occured"
    mtd: not writing bad block at 0x001e0000

If I reset to recovery mode after the root I do see the golden android figure and the version appears to be updated. But if I return to SMUpdater the same issue arises.

I have installed no custom roms prior to this so it's a clean droid. Also if I attempt to do it again without rebooting it just gets stuck in a loop asking if i'm sure I want to flash. I'm able to back out of either with no problems and the droid continues to work in what appears to be normal. Any suggestions?

I have unrooted and had a clean/reset droid, re-downloaded the updater, and had the same result.

Thanks fellas for any help you can provide.

If no other options, where are the files to install SholesMod manually?

2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have seen people have problems with using the Sholes app, when they use it to start from scratch....as in they are unrooted....but usually people that are already rooted, have hardly any problems with it.....just from my observations

3. deersnypr

deersnypr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I attempted it after rooting myself and got the same result. Frustrating...

4. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the sholes roms don't play well with bad blocks. I haven't been able to install anything after sholes 1.1 and I have a bad block on my system partition.

The good news is that Bugless Beast will work for you. Give that ROM a try. Root first with Sholes since it's so easy.

BTW the sholes team won't respond to your issues either. Don't even bother.

Good luck

5. Vladimir

Vladimir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know so far I have rooted 4 phones from scratch using sholesmod.....no issues yet!

6. NeverEndingXsin

Ratings:
    +0
    i havent had any problems either. i recently rooted my droid with the most recent sholes mod and the updated and it worked perfectly with zero problems.

7. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you guys have bad block on your phone?

I know Sholes works for most people. I was pointing out a problem that the OP have in common.

8. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    your problem is you cant install a ROM from the SMUpdater? Just DL whichever ROM you want and install via SPRecovery restore. You get A LOT more options as well, not limited to only sholes

9. hayaku

hayaku Member

Ratings:
    +0
    your problem is now appearing more for some reason. you have a bad block in your recovery partition. the 2nd step of the process is to download the recovery image and flash it into the recovery partition. But because of that bad block, the flashing throws an error.

the only way to get past this is to keep trying to flash the recovery partition until it takes. do it manually so you don't waste the time of downloading the recovery image over and over again. there's a step by step guide out there and all you really need to do is get the sprecovery image into the recovery partition.

10. deersnypr

deersnypr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys... I ended up doing everything manually and had no problems. I guess the SMUpdater just doesn't like the bad block error, but manually it's not a big deal.

11. SoDroid

SoDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If i downloaded Sholes 2.0.3 from their website about a week ago, can i still flash it even though their server is apparently down?

I'm not sure if it needs to pull any info from their server.

FYI: I know about everything going on with the Sholes team. This post is not related to that. I just want to know that if I downloaded 2.0.3 and have it on my SD card, can I re-flash it.

Thanks in advance!

12. hayaku

hayaku Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes you can. just do it manually by going into recovery, select install, select install rom on sd card