1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

SholesMod 2.0.3 Launcher Force Close, unresponsive home screen...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by awacker89, Feb 10, 2010.

1. awacker89

awacker89 New Member

Ok, rooted my phone today, thought I would hold out for 2.1 but after reading about SM Updater from Sholes and how easy it was I gave it a shot. Sure enough it was very simple and I love what I've gotten so far, but I have run into a few problems.

I went with the Sholes 2.0.3 (can't remember the name?) and it's easy to customize and choose different otpions; went with MT Milestone browser, Milestone Music Player, 2.1 App Drawer and Home screen, and Smoked Glass theme for notification bar, etc.

Now that I got the background of some of the options I chose to install, my main problems I';m running into now... Pretty often I'll go to my home screen, especially when i back out of an app using the back button, and the touch screen is completely unresponsive. Can't slide to the side, can't slide notifications down, or select an icon to open an app. However, new notification animation comes and goes as normal, and hitting the lock butto, then turning the screen back on and sliding the lock screen brings the home screen back to fully functional. Sometimes I can get away with just hitting the home button as well, but OCCASIONALLY I'll get a force close message for an app called "Launcher" which i believe is just the name of the home screen I"m running with all the 2.1 goodies? As I chose launcher for my default over the normal home which seemed to be Sholes' generic smoke theme.

All this said, I'm just curious if anyone else using SM Updater and the Sholes ROMs are having this problem, or if maybe it's just a combination of all the options I've chosen to load. I'm BRAND NEW to this whole phone rooting thing, I'd like to consider myself a computer and OS savvy person, but I have no experience in Linux so this is all pretty new to me.

Please share your experiences or anything you have to help me rid my phone of this unresponsive/force close situation. It's only a minor annoyance right now of an otherwise great phone experience, but if I can find a way to get rid of it my experience would be FLAWLESS... but maybe thats just the give and take of a rooted device....

Cheers!
    Wackowski.
  2. surveyorinva

surveyorinva New Member

I have read else where in here that people are opting not to install the 2.1 launcher because of the bugs, especially rotating to landscape mode...

try the regular home screen and see if you can re-create the same problem when you are in the 2.1 launcher.
  3. awacker89

awacker89 New Member

I'm new to the whole root thing... is there an easy way to keep the 2.1 drawer and home screen and use a different launcher? More importantly, can that be done as easily as everything else using sm updater?
  4. surveyorinva

surveyorinva New Member

The 2.1 Launcher is the Home screen which includes the app drawer.
    I would isolate the error being the launcher. You may also want to take a look at your overclocked speed (if you are over clocked). There are posts that have shown that being overclocked too high will make the system unstable, you may try lower to increase stability.
  5. awacker89

awacker89 New Member

I'm currently overclocked at 800mhz. That's a lame problem being that the only 2.1 device right now is 1ghz, but I'm sure there's more to that than I understand. I'll step back down to 550mhz and see if that fixes things... but boy do I like how smooth 800 runs =)
  6. neemo6

neemo6 New Member

Im having the exact same issue, except im running home++ for a home screen. And was getting many fc's on different apps, had to uninstall gmaps and dolphin browser to get them to work. Seriously thinking of going back to stock rom.
  7. pandabear

pandabear New Member

I'm also having the same issue. When initially rooting and using the 2.0.3 (*****in bagel?) rom I selected an option to use the launcher as my default home. Does anyone know which settings I have to modify to get the original home screen back as default instead of the launcher?
  8. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Yes, to reset the launcher do the following:

Settings->Applications->Manage Applications

Hit the 4 Line button on the bottom of the screen (its called List Its next to back arrow and Home), Select Filter and Choose All

Slide down to Launcher (select it), and choose clear defaults.
  9. meekless

meekless New Member

sorry to hear about the issue you had but when i loaded that same ROM i was having the same issues. i liked the ROM overall but would have a little lag and lockup when going to home screen from the launcher.
    i went ahead and decided to change the ROM to Bugless Beast running 800 for the O/C and am very satisfied. i think there has to be something in the sholes mod causing some issues. not to give those guys any flak cause the app worked perfect to get me to root and a recovery image.
    suggest try another ROM for now and hopefully the next sholes release will have fixed the issue.
  10. pandabear

pandabear New Member

Thanks! this has been driving me crazy
  11. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

Is there a way to change the theme once up an running? Also I have the launcher 2.1 already installed from the leaked apk. Is there another way you guys with sholes 2.0.3 are obtaining this?
  12. meekless

meekless New Member

just wanted to add an update on the sholes ROM, cause didnt want anyone to think I didnt like it or appreciate what those guys and gals do over there!
    i decided to reload the sholes ROM over the Bugless Beast, but went with the stock launcher and not the 2.1 launcher. much better!! smooth, and no lag or lock up like before.
    i just prefer sholes with the option of leaving off programs you might not want, like for me the Corpcal and the car thing.

the themes can be changed no problem with metamorph, or yo ucan always go with a home replacement if you decide on that route, but metamorph is nice!!
Search tags for this page

droid bionic home screen force close