Sholes to BB?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by supahrob, Feb 12, 2010.

1. supahrob

supahrob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Heya everyone - I looked around a bit and didn't really see a clear answer to this.

I am currently running Sholes 2.0.3 and would like to try Bugless Beast (notice I didn't specify WHICH BB... more on that in a sec). Nothing wrong with Sholes, it works nice for me. Only a few FC's here and there - no biggie. So this isn't one of thos "This ROM sucks, I hate it, whine, whine, whine" threads - I just wanna try BB.

I rooted my phone from following the info on rootyourdroid.info and then ran the SMUpdater. Was pretty easy and took about 10 minutes. No terminal emulators of quantum physics - nice and simple. Thats how I like it.

So what would be the best way for me to switch to Bugless Beast? I have "sub questions" as well:
    • will I have to wipe my phone?
    • I am not sure what nandroid is or where it fits in - it never really came up during the Sholes install. Do I need to learn about this?
    Next of course is: Which BB? .74 or .75?

I am hoping someone will just be kind and help me out with some info. I realize that on forums that is a long shot - but I have been treated pretty good here so far, so I am hopeful :)

Take care,
    Rob

2. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That being said, me personally if you are getting force closes and whatnot with Sholes, I would do a wipe before I started my guide. Just to be on the safe side. That's what I did when I switched.

4. Martin030908

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm making the switch shortly. Will be wiping also before going to BB

5. flyer05

flyer05 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Let us know how it goes. and what you think. I am thinking of doing the same.

6. Martin030908

Ratings:
    +0
    Will do. Basically trying BB to see if 1ghz will hold stable, it wouldn't on Sholes for me.

7. sdwyatt916

sdwyatt916 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    is there a way to switch if i already have sholes 2.0.3 but i dont have a computer handy? meaning can i do the switch all from my droid?

8. zaldonisj

zaldonisj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was on sholes 2.0.3 and got sick of it. all i did was download the zip, add it to the root, booted in recovery, went to install, clicked allow, then clicked the very last option. worked fine. BB is the way to go!

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No with BB you need a computer.

10. Martin030908

Ratings:
    +0
    Matt I'm almost done. Had an issue determining spacing in the command prompts. I had to copy all of them, paste in word, and increase font in order to get it right :)

11. Shmooze

Shmooze Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Although I have not personally tried sholes, BB 7.5 is extremely stable provided you're not using every app at once all day long in the blistering sun. Its fast and easy to update. And purdy

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got it though. You think the font in my thread is too small? If you need to you can hit CTL+MWheelUP and increase the size temporarily.

13. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    First, I know nothing about sholes 2.0.3, but why couldn't he do the switch to BB7.5 from the Droid. Couldn't he just go to AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast V0.7.5 (2/10/10) and download the update.zip or the nandroid restore file (and put it in the Nandroid folder) and then xboot into sprecovery and follow the directions on that same page relative the file he decided to use?

14. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose he could, actually. Will really take a much longer time though.

15. Martin030908

Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't know about the CTL+mwheelup trick. Thanks. Too late now! :icon_ banana: