1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Sholes and GPS

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by 196nautique, Feb 6, 2010.

1. 196nautique

196nautique New Member

I finally took the plunge yesterday and bought the sholes app from the store. Installed very easily, and seems to work pretty well. I am having one major issue though. I can use the GPS with google maps without a problem. I also have some gps programs that I use for tracking my bike rides (Cardiotrainer, and My Tracks and a couple of others). After installing the sholes rom, these programs no longer work. As soon as I open them up I get an error message that the application has stopped unexpectedly and shows the force close button.

This may be related, I am also not able to have get the weather app to work when docked, and must manually chose a location to get any data.

If I can't get this figured out, then I think I will go back to stock.

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

When you installed the ROM, did you choose to install the 2.1 Maps or the 2.0.1 Maps stock)?? Because the 2.1 Maps was causing issues like this affecting other apps that use the GPS....but you could have installed the old Maps app and then officially updated it in the Market and had the same exact one with multitouch, only you would've gotten it officially from Google and not dumped off of someone's Nexus One somewhere....see what I'm sayin?
  3. 196nautique

196nautique New Member

I installed the Google 2.1 maps that was in the sholes rom. Is it difficult to re-install the sholes rom and use the old version of maps, then upgrade through the marketplace?
  4. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Rerun SMUpdater, uncheck the option for 2.1 Multi-touch Maps during the install. Once you are done with the install. Go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Maps> Click Uninstall updates, then go to the market and install new maps, which includes Multi-touch Maps. Should take care of your problem with other apps not being able to access GPS and FC's.
  5. 196nautique

196nautique New Member

That worked great, all is well now. Thanks for the help.
  6. Sp4zZ

Sp4zZ New Member

I've tried doing this, but Maps doesn't show up under Manage Applications, and when I try to open it from the market or the drawer, I get an error and it force closes. :mad:
  7. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Hmm, they had just posted a new version 2.0.3, then pulled it so they could fix the MT Maps issue. I'm sure they will get this fixed and relaunch 2.0.3, so you don't have to go in and do any special magic to get it working. Let them do the work for you. :)
  8. lemodular

lemodular New Member

Restoring Google Maps?

Here is my issue, I upgraded to latest map from the market which included the MT right before I installed Sholes, but I also installed the sholes version of the MT map (which worked perfectly). After having some issues with the other apps which uses the GPS, I decided to restore a backed up image and reinstall Sholes without the map. However, the restored image did not have the original updated map. So I went to the market to upgrade and of course it's data shows that I already upgraded and will not give the option to upgrade (or uninstall). I suspect that the image that was restored was not my original backup. I went through the manual nandroid restore and selected everything to be backed up, but was not given the option to choose the image. My phone still works great with the exception of the map app FC'ing.

I need to find a way to retore the actual (original) image right before the Sholes 2.0.2 install.

BTW, "Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Maps>Uninstall updates" - was never an available option, just "clear cache" and "force close"
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
Search tags for this page

gps.sholes