sholes 2.0.5 apparently hates me.

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by LrdElderon, Feb 16, 2010.

1. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

I suppose it's my own fault really. I know even though I'm running a 2.0.1 rom that I should have wiped my data anyways, but hey, the updater said if you were coming from 2.1... so i kept data.

So I was running adamz smoked 4.1 blu rom @ 1 ghz no problems. bored wanted to try sholes just for kicks and I get this:

reboot 1 = adam 4.1 -> sholes 2.0.5. did not wipe data. opened running applications and it rebooted.
    reboot 2 = booted up unlocked screen open app tray froze and had to battery pull.
    Reboot 3 = boot up tried to access app tray for setcpu and froze at blank screen had to battery pull.
    Reboot 4 = loaded up got to home screen tried to use add shortcut to access astro for smuupdater and froze again. battery pull

Managed to open a browser that thankfully was on the desktop and downloaded the smupdater again and ran it from dolphin browsers download list.

Wiped data this time so lets see what happens. little bummed out at having to wipe. Might go back to adamz anyways as the smoke + blu theme is killer.

but ill give it a try for a day or two.
  2. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

anyways, I suppose the moral of this story is: wipe your data no matter what. you can always restore from a backup.... you did make a backup right?

even with conservative mode on from 250 - 1.2 im getting almost 10 on linpack... not that linpack is really a good benchmarker.

and we have another random reboot. It doesn't seem to like something in one of my folders... =(

Joy another hard lock / battery pull. does this rom not like astro? maybe i need to redownload from the market? it worked fine a sec ago when i reinstalled setcpu :/

ok this is getting irksome. now it locks up on a black screen after booting to the desktop. I think home is crashing on for some reason. maybe 1.2 is not workable on my particular phone I don't know.

I'm getting a lot of media mngr errors and then cache errors or somethign then it just reboots
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  3. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

Here is the last segment of my logcat file before it killed itself about 40 seconds after boot:

I/BootReceiver( 1667): Got intent with action android.intent.action.MEDIA_SCANNE
    R_FINISHED
    E/DiskCache( 1667): Unable to create cache directory /sdcard/Android/data/com.co
    oliris.media/cache/local-album-cache
    E/DiskCache( 1667): Unable to create cache directory /sdcard/Android/data/com.co
    oliris.media/cache/local-meta-cache
    oliris.media/cache/local-skip-cache
    D/dalvikvm( 1667): GC freed 7614 objects / 432432 bytes in 38ms
    E/DiskCache( 1667): Unable to create or open the chunk file /sdcard/Android/data
    /com.cooliris.media/cache/local-album-cachechunk_0
    E/DiskCache( 1667): getChunkFile() returned null
    E/DiskCache( 1667): Unable to close chunk file
    E/DiskCache( 1667): Unable to create or open the chunk file /sdcard/Android/data
    I/ActivityManager( 1283): Start proc com.tunewiki.lyricplayer.android:player for
    broadcast com.tunewiki.lyricplayer.android/.receiver.MediaScannerReceiver: pid=
    1688 uid=10055 gids={3003, 1015}
    I/CacheService( 1667): Refreshing cache.
    I/CacheService( 1667): Building albums.
    I/CacheService( 1667): Starting CacheService
    I/CacheService( 1667): Done building albums.
    I/CacheService( 1667): Refreshing cache.
    I/CacheService( 1667): Building albums.
    I/CacheService( 1667): Done building albums.
    D/dalvikvm( 1352): GC freed 1274 objects / 75344 bytes in 31ms
    I//system/bin/fsck_msdos( 1243): /Android/data/com.cooliris.media/cache/local-al
    bum-cacheindex starts with free cluster
    I//system/bin/fsck_msdos( 1243): FIXED
    V/TuneWiki( 1688): MediaScannerReceiver receiving...
    ^C

then it crashed and rebooted.
    any idea what the error is?

trying again
  4. G8orDroid

G8orDroid New Member

I think I would delete the sholesmod-2.0.5.rom.tar file from the sdcard and re-download it through the app. Maybe it's a corrupt file?
  5. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

thanks for the reply. I'll give it a shot, though it looked like it checked it's md5 after downloading so it shouldn't be corrupt if it's md5 matched i would assume.?

still playing around with it but im still having issues.

ok I'm watching logcat and i have my fingers crossed. it's going through all my pictures now making thumbnails or something. have several hundred from when i was at the autoshow.
  6. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

Well. I managed to put my power widget along with curvefish battery widget and setcpu and didn't crash this time so maybe it was corrupted somehow. Still it looked like it md5 checked itself for sprcovery and the flash image I didn't pay attention but I thought it did so with the rom too. how did it pass corrupted? ahh well

I'll play around with it and see how it is. so far my #1 is adamz smoked blu 4.1 smooth like silk and looks just as nice.
  7. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I themed Sholes with Adamz blue lol.

People have reported some issues at that high of clocking. Not many, but more than I would want to see if I was running that speed.

Sometimes corrupt files can pass scans... I forget why though and I don't feel like digging out my text book lol, I just remember it's possible.
  8. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

turn on phone and then just about as soon as i swipe unlock and then BANG lock up and about a dozen different force closes including home. and i get stuck at a black screen with lit menu buttons that do not respond to touch and I am forced to battery pull yet again.

Something is really f'd up with this rom or there is an app it really hates and don't know which it is because so far after half a day of formatting, reinstalling, formating more, redownloading... I have to put this rom in the sucks major balls category. I'm sorry, but comparing what I've been through to installing adams most recent rom.... nandroid restore KAPOW all done freaking awesome phone. there is absolutely no comparison. Maybe I have to do a complete factory reset wipe and try? I don't know. God forbid a complete newbie should try this piece of garbage and not know how to restore the phone back.

I would seriously like to try using this rom for a day or two just to test it out but it's just not possible apparently for my phone. if someone has any suggestions I would be open for listening to them.

I'll understand if my post gets edited by a mod hehe. or is deleted. but this is annoying me greatly especially for a program that's suppose to do the whole bleeping thing itself.......
  9. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Have you tried dropping your OC speed?
  10. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

the couple of times i've been able to actually get far enough to install and set setcpu yes I have. what frequency should it be at when before setcpu is installed? i would assume stock frequency but since that isn't in this kernels steppings I don't know... does it run 1.2ghz right of the bat? kinda wierd if it does.

are there any known programs that absolutely fubar this rom? I don't know what else is causing it really. I formated cache , i formated data, do i need to format system as well?
  11. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Well, the more demanding apps you are running the more speed they need to function smoothly, but I think with this particular ROM anything over 1gHZ is going poorly at this point.

I'm running at 700 mHZ with no problem. In fact, my battery has even lasted me the entire day and is still at 80% with mild internet browsing and tons of email.

Since they pull 550 from their options, I would go with 600 since the CPU is underclocked when shipped, for your testing needs at this point. That is, IF you want to keep testing it.
  12. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

well my phone is perfectly stable on taz kernel at 1ghz. I'd like to at least try playing around with the rom a bit. people seem to like it, but I'm not feeling the love from this rom at all. I don't really know what is conflicting or if it actually is the cpu causing the lockups.

going to try one more time double check and try and a low clock rate and if it does it again i'll keep a logcat file and just go back to smoked 4.1
  13. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Okay let us know how it goes.
  14. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

ok im at desktop, i managed to get setcpu root access and set it down to 700 conservative and curvefish battery widget and I'm about to put the power bar widget on top.

that's right around when i usually have issues. especially if i take it off autobrightness. Well I'm only at 700mhz and i noticed i think some errors when i put the power control bar widget up

I/ActivityManager( 1280): Displayed activity com.android.settings/.AppWidgetPick
    Activity: 4116 ms (total 4116 ms)
    D/dalvikvm( 1843): GC freed 548 objects / 30256 bytes in 76ms
    D/dalvikvm( 1843): GC freed 87 objects / 4136 bytes in 68ms
    W/InputManagerService( 1280): Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: co
    m.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@44c43950
    D/VoiceDialerReceiver( 1550): onReceive Intent { act=android.intent.action.PACKA
    GE_CHANGED dat=package:com.android.settings flg=0x20000000 cmp=com.android.voice
    dialer/.VoiceDialerReceiver (has extras) }
    W/ResourceType( 1280): Resources don't contain package for resource number 0x7f0
    W/ResourceType( 1280): Resources don't contain package for resource number 0x7f0
    700e5
    I/ActivityManager( 1280): Process com.bigtincan.android.adfree (pid 2735) has di
    ed.
    D/dalvikvm( 1550): GC freed 165 objects / 7760 bytes in 201ms
    D/dalvikvm( 1524): GC freed 158 objects / 8232 bytes in 104ms

maybe it is 1.2 ghz being the problem and then i just can't get in to change it back. well i can but i have to edit the file through adb.... still with all the people mouthing off how awesome 1.2 is and how we should pull the lower clocks out and put them up to 1300 1400... blah. I guess I'm the perfect example of why that is not such a good idea.
  15. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

Well I appreciate the help. I'll slowly add and ramp up speed and see if i can narrow down the cause. it very well could be the cpu. either way I think I'll prob go back to smoked blu 4.1 and then push over chevys 10 slot kernal =) wooo woooo

couple of questions though: 1 I thought the news and weather widget would not be installed since thats what I told the rom installer to do, yet here it is....
    2. Why that stupid 2.0 lock screen? people liked that? i don't see the specialness of it so i removed it.
    3. Not sure if it makes a diff or not but on every install I always removed wifi tether and vpn. they are not needed. this time i even took out dropbear. don't know if that helped fix any conflicts?
  16. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Honestly, I'm unsure about all of those. I usually just leave them. I've not had any major problems with Sholes, but I have always been a fan of how Adamz blue ROM looked, turns out he has a theme so I themed Sholes with Adamz.

Once Chevy's ROM is more stable I am going to try that one.
  17. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

yeah i like the look too, especially if you get the 2.36 beautiful widgets like he has in his screenshots (the one post last before htc sent the dev the cease and desist order). incredible looking.

just be aware that chevy is doing a 2.1 rom so careful with the root stuff i suppose.
  18. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I saw he was having peoplee try a different launcher because the original isn't doing so hot.

that seems to be the common problem with 2.1 roms
  19. CongoJack90

CongoJack90 New Member

I've also had a little bit of a problem with sholes 2.0.5 but only if I run it at 1.2 gHz it rebooted on me twice in one day. So far at 1.2 gHz its not very stable but its very stable at 1 gHz and below so I've seen.
Search tags for this page
android chunk o albums
android.data.com.cooliris.media cache local.skip-cache
chunk 0
chunk 0 android cache
com.cooliris.media cache
cool iris chunko
cooliris.media/cache/local-album/chunk 0p
cooliris.media/cache/local-video-thumbs chunk 01
file:/sdcard/android/data/com.cooliris.media/cache/local-ima

how to open local-album-cachechunk in my files

local-album- cache chunk 0