Shared Folders "Logon failure"

Fireworks

Reaction score
When I try to log in to my home wireless network with my Droid X, it finds my computer (it's IP address shows up on the server list), but it keeps asking for "authentication info." What is this? I've tried every User name and Password in my book and nothing works. Neither do any of the solutions I've seen in various forums work.

My computer is a wireless desktop running XP. It has no login password.

This is driving me nuts.

Reaction score
When I try to log in to my home wireless network with my Droid X, it finds my computer (it's IP address shows up on the server list), but it keeps asking for "authentication info." What is this? I've tried every User name and Password in my book and nothing works. Neither do any of the solutions I've seen in various forums work.

My computer is a wireless desktop running XP. It has no login password.

This is driving me nuts.

You wouldn't be able to access those files from another PC, either. In Windows XP, accounts that don't have passwords are classified as local only, which means no network drive access. Add a password to the user account, and use that username and password to access from the network. Annoying, I know. But you can use something like TweakXP to make your PC log in automatically anyway.

OP
F

Fireworks

Reaction score
Actually, I have three other computers on this router and I can access and share files with all of them. Only one is password protected. Nevertheless, I'll try adding a password and see what happens. I did already try that as a "Guest" log in.

Okay, I tried it with my regular user account and it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
OP
F

Fireworks

Reaction score
I go to "Files" and "Shared folders." It prompts me to turn on WiFi, then it connects to our home network (on a Linksys WRT54G router). My computer IP address then appears under the "Shared folders" servers. When I select it, though, it says "Logon failure. Re-enter authentication info." I say OK and it prompts me to enter my User name and Password. Nothing I've entered yet gets me past that point.

Matt55

Reaction score
this looks like a zombie thread but this is the exact same problem I have. Droid Razr, 4.0.4, Windows Network over Linksys WRT54G Router, WinXP Pro reachable, copies files. Win98SE, reachable, copies files. WinXP Home, Droid sees computer name or IP address, can not connect using any account logon for that unit. I get the "logon failure" notice and it will not connect. At first I thought it has to do with the XP home vs Pro issues, but I can connect to the Win98 box. My Linux machine is being rebuilt but I will want to connect to it also. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Matt

I go to "Files" and "Shared folders." It prompts me to turn on WiFi, then it connects to our home network (on a Linksys WRT54G router). My computer IP address then appears under the "Shared folders" servers. When I select it, though, it says "Logon failure. Re-enter authentication info." I say OK and it prompts me to enter my User name and Password. Nothing I've entered yet gets me past that point.

Last edited:
OP
F

Fireworks

Reaction score
this looks like a zombie thread but this is the exact same problem I have. Droid Razr, 4.0.4, Windows Network over Linksys WRT54G Router, WinXP Pro reachable, copies files. Win98SE, reachable, copies files. WinXP Home, Droid sees computer name or IP address, can not connect using any account logon for that unit. I get the "logon failure" notice and it will not connect. At first I thought it has to do with the XP home vs Pro issues, but I can connect to the Win98 box. My Linux machine is being rebuilt but I will want to connect to it also. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Matt

I basically tossed in the towel on this. I have no idea what the problem is and no time to chase it down. I suppose I could take it into the Verizon shop and have them test it out, but that would be outside my wifi and wouldn't really prove anything. I don't know where to go with this. Sorry.

Matt55

Reaction score
I am surprised there is so little traffic about this problem.
I will figure something out. It's a real pain.
Thanks
Matt

OP
F

Fireworks

Reaction score
I am surprised there is so little traffic about this problem.
I will figure something out. It's a real pain.
Thanks
Matt

Amen to that! Good luck with it. If you figure something out, give me a shout.

j

dhinged

Reaction score
I'm running into the same problem. I open the "My Files" app, go to Shared Folders, tap the PC that has my shared folders on it, get the "Logon failure" prompt which asks to "Re-enter authentication info", I click OK, enter the username and password I have on the PC, and get the same Logon failure prompt. No other username/password works.

It seems like if Motorola is going to offer this it should work right out of the gate. Instead it seems I have do something not obvious that they're not telling me about. I'm going to ask on the Motorola discussion forums and see if they have any clue about it.