Share Your S7 and S7 Edge Wifi Signal With Other Devices Unless You Are On Verizon

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge include a nifty feature called Wi-Fi sharing. I know you may be asking yourself, "Why do I need to share my wifi signal? Coulcn't I just log onto wifi with the other device?" In most cases the answer to this question would be yes. If you are in the same room with another device on wifi just connect to the wifi.

There are some instances where being able to re-broadcast your wifi connection would be useful. There are lots of places that offer free slow wifi internet, or paid faster wifi internet. To use the paid faster internet you would need to pay the fee per device. If you are able to rebroadcast the wifi from your first device you would only need to pay the fee once.

The feature is usable on pretty much every carrier other than Verizon. For some reason they have done what they normally do and have blocked a killer feature for no apparent reason.

Via AndroidPolice

wcjeep

Reaction score
When we stayed at a DisneyWorld resort the wifi was stronger next to the main entrance door. Near useless inside the room. I used my Seagate wifi hard drive as a wifi repeater. Placed the Seagate near the front door at a power outlet. This is a useful feature. I can do something similar with my Hootoo travel router.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Isn't this the same as the Wi-Fi Hotspot feature find on most phones?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Isn't this the same as the Wi-Fi Hotspot feature find on most phones?

This isn't using your data. It's an Ad-hoc Wifi network.

You connect your phone to wifi - other devices connect to it. No data over mobile.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is also useful for traveling with a Chromecast. Most hotels use two part auth to get on their wifi (Wifi password, then a splash page where you have to enter your room number and other pertinent info). This makes using a Chromecast in a hotel room difficult. With this feature the Chromecast could be connected to your shared Wifi and casting accomplished through that.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
This is also useful for traveling with a Chromecast. Most hotels use two part auth to get on their wifi (Wifi password, then a splash page where you have to enter your room number and other pertinent info). This makes using a Chromecast in a hotel room difficult. With this feature the Chromecast could be connected to your shared Wifi and casting accomplished through that.
I was wondering if this was possible with this feature. That's awesome. Looks like I'm gonna want a Galaxy for my next phone until other manufacturers implement this. I bet you could use a Chromecast on Xfinity wifi hotspots with this too.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well yes this does make sense as being helpful in that l. I actually typed a response specifically to this prior to yours yesterday evening, but forgot to send it and subsequently lost all of the text.

Since our house burned down December 12th, my family and I have been staying in a hotel suite two bedroom apartment. We'll be here until the house is completed which could be as much as another year from now. I had resorted to using my phone as a hotspot for Chromecast but quickly found out that each time I left and came back I had to set up Chromecast again. Unfortunately in this hotel Wi-Fi sucks.

What I reverted to was a travel router which plugs into the wall outlet next to a dataport, and a ethernet cable goes from the device to the data port and provides my own Wi-Fi local area network right here in the room. This results in better signal dispersion through the apartment and better throughput because the ethernet is much faster than the hotels on Wi-Fi.

Also we don't suffer with data slowdowns when the others are home during the evenings due to their being on the Wi-Fi and crowding the hotel Wi-Fi. This way the Wi-Fi is on 24/7 and so Chromecast and my Roku both remain connected and I can come and go as I please. Also my son gets faster Wi-Fi on his laptop and I don't have to constantly hear him complain if I haven't turned my hotspot on in my phone. Finally, since it's a private Wi-Fi network I really have a lot more security with regard to the computers being connected and I'm less at risk of having someone hack in and secure private data.

I'm surprised that the wired network isn't all that much faster than the Wi-Fi though, unless it's the travel router that's just not keeping up. I plan to purchase a full-blown router this afternoon and try it to see if it performs any better. We are seeing dolls and leg or on the date of communication with the private Wi-Fi, but it is significantly faster than the hotel's.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well yes this does make sense as being helpful in that l. I actually typed a response specifically to this prior to yours yesterday evening, but forgot to send it and subsequently lost all of the text.

Since our house burned down December 12th, my family and I have been staying in a hotel suite two bedroom apartment. We'll be here until the house is completed which could be as much as another year from now. I had resorted to using my phone as a hotspot for Chromecast but quickly found out that each time I left and came back I had to set up Chromecast again. Unfortunately in this hotel Wi-Fi sucks.

What I reverted to was a travel router which plugs into the wall outlet next to a dataport, and a ethernet cable goes from the device to the data port and provides my own Wi-Fi local area network right here in the room. This results in better signal dispersion through the apartment and better throughput because the ethernet is much faster than the hotels on Wi-Fi.

Also we don't suffer with data slowdowns when the others are home during the evenings due to their being on the Wi-Fi and crowding the hotel Wi-Fi. This way the Wi-Fi is on 24/7 and so Chromecast and my Roku both remain connected and I can come and go as I please. Also my son gets faster Wi-Fi on his laptop and I don't have to constantly hear him complain if I haven't turned my hotspot on in my phone. Finally, since it's a private Wi-Fi network I really have a lot more security with regard to the computers being connected and I'm less at risk of having someone hack in and secure private data.

I'm surprised that the wired network isn't all that much faster than the Wi-Fi though, unless it's the travel router that's just not keeping up. I plan to purchase a full-blown router this afternoon and try it to see if it performs any better. We are seeing dolls and leg or on the date of communication with the private Wi-Fi, but it is significantly faster than the hotel's.

Good point. I forgot the crappy nature of most hotel Wifi. And these are pretty cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Alright, so I did some testing to see whether or not it makes sense to upgrade the router. Results, no purpose at all in upgrading the router. It provides the same speed as the hotel's Wi-Fi. The reason the hotel's Wi-Fi get slower I'm assuming is because when people come home from work they jump on the internet via Wi-Fi and it slows down. Whereas having my very own private router and Wi-Fi network, it will go as fast as the wired Network can let it go.

The following three screenshots show testing first on my own private router Kama then second on the hotel's Wi-Fi, and finally using my phone as a hotspot. You'll see that both my private router and the hotel Wi-Fi come in at 2 Megs per second on the download side and average about one and three quarters on the upload side, but my phone's hotspot is consistently two and a half times faster or better.

118f97a57b51b7831453ad318ef1860a.jpg

fa1de7180bf9542ed9f7f86dad6a1666.jpg

5f53531e0fc614834b5c5271d1567a6c.jpg

So it appears the hotel has the maximum throughput to each apartment unit wired data port and to each wireless connection capped at 2 Megs, so they hopefully can sell their faster internet to you at $4.95 per day. What a ridiculous scam.

Residence Inn.jpg

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
@Mustang02 It's hardware that can help any device share their WiFi by acting as a WiFi bridge. The mini review highlights another cool aspect of the Tripmate Nano, sharing local files over Wifi.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I did a mini review of the Tripmate Nano a little while back:

Add Storage To Your Note 5 Without SDcard

It's been kinda buggy lately, but it works.
I have a couple Wi-Fi portable storage servers which have their own battery, double as portable battery backups and take both USB thumb drives (and hard drives), as well as SD (and Micro SD cards), but your device has one up on mine in that it has an Ethernet port and so can act as an access point for wired internet like my hotel travel router.

Totally cool.