ShapeWriter vs Swype

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by alm0614, Jan 9, 2010.

1. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    I used to use swype for about 2 weeks then i stopped.

I found swype to be very accurate and quick, but i missed the "typing". Yes it made texting easier is some situations, but I don't miss it too much. I still have it, but it's just turned off.

2. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Keyboard junkie here. I've tried most and come to the conclusion that it takes awhile to evaluate any of them since the brain is adaptable and tends to favor what one has last gotten used to using. (If people can learn to use a QWERTY keyboard, they can adapt to anything.)

I've used the both the leaked and now the beta version of Swype. I find it the most usable of any of the "finger slide" options.

I assumed the leaked version of Swype would eventually "time out" as it has so I began to use both Shapewriter and SlideIt.

Frankly, I was never able to adapt well to Shapewriter. It may have been me but I found it to be the least accurate of the three.

SlideIt is a close second to Swype (imo). My major complaint about it was that the auto-capitalization option had to be turned off via preferences when entering a password that did not begin with a capital letter. Took me awhile to figure out why my passwords kept being rejected.

Unlike Swype, SlideIt "figures out" when you enter a word with double letters like "good." You simply slide your finger over "god" and it gives you the choice between "good" and "god." Some folks may like that; I don't. I have to force myself not to spell the word correctly. Likewise, SlideIt lacks the "upsweep" motion to capitalize a word. I became accustomed to that using Swype and had trouble breaking the habit.

Now that the beta version of Swype is "legal," I've returned to using it. If and when the beta version disappears, I'll go back to SlideIt.

3. mju1030

mju1030 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The official release of the beta version of Swype for Moto Droid came out today. It is well worth the time and effort to uninstall the expired version and install the new version--it even has some new features, such as automatic capitalization. They claim it is a limited release, so you might want to get registered right away.

#15 mju1030, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  4. sooperhooper

sooperhooper New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just DL'd shapewriter and it's better than I thought! Haven't used any of the others and I don't think I'm going to try them.

5. NetNathan

NetNathan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you find the official beta release for the Moto Droid?
    Is it the version that will time out?

#17 NetNathan, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  6. qat

qat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, I saw the big thread about Swype vs. SlideIT vs. ShapeWriter. After trying out Swype and ShapeWriter, i've found that ShapeWriter is all I need.

Swype was pretty great, but had a few cons to it. I couldn't get used to the double letter technique. You have to kind of zig-zag or loop around a letter to get the "tt" or "oo" effect. With ShapeWriter, it automatically either suggests the word with 2 letters, or assumes you meant to have the double character.

One of the things I really liked about Swype was that it was more accurate when I was zooming across the keyboard, but it had a lot more options when I had longer words, that didn't really seem relevant. ShapeWriter was more accurate with longer letter words, but some short words don't even come up as options (the word "like" gave me some trouble). Also, ShapeWriter had some unusual words in the dictionary.

The other thing that kind of made me think twice about Swype was that it's not available on the market. You have to have access to the "beta testing", which is basically anybody who requests it. It shows that they're not confident enough to put it on the market, most likely because it will tarnish their reputation?

On the flip side, you can not (or I could not) figure out how to add passwords or e-mail addresses to the dictionary with ShapeWriter, but you could with Swype. Capitalization was kind of tricky with Swype, whereas ShapeWriter automatically uses an upper case character for the first letter of a sentence, and adds a period after two spaces to create a new sentence.

jsh1120 had questioned the recent updates to ShapeWriter, and i'll say that as of late, it was worked flawlessly for me, with the exception of some very short words. "on" vs. "in".

Anyways, for a quick reference...

ShapeWriter
    Pros
    • Better with long words
    • Some automatic punctuation
    • Available on Market (Not really a PRO but speaks for the software)

Cons
    • Weak dictionary initially
    • Can't add emails or passwords
    • Difficulty recognizing short words

Swype
    Pros
    • Great dictionary at installation
    • Ability to store special characters in dictionary
    • Automatic addition of words to dictionary after punching in letters

Cons
    • Not available on Market
    • Loop action to double letters
    • Mechanism to capitalize letters seemed difficult to me

Conclusion: I'll be sticking to ShapeWriter for now. I'd like to see Swype when it is officially available to the public, since now we're working with a "closed" copy. I think that they both have done a very good job at accomplishing the same goal, but, it's all up to preference. I think ShapeWriter solved the problem the same way I would have, so it's my App of Choice here. I'll keep an eye on Swype though. Unfortunately, i'm not interested in paying for SlideIT :).

7. hookerdj

hookerdj Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ive used swype and slideit slideit is very accurate but i love how swype builds a user dictionary very very fast

8. VOLTIS5

VOLTIS5 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried out Swype yet (cause i can't find it on the market for some reason) but i have been using SW for a while now. It gets annoying at times when i'm trying to spell out little words but for the most part its pretty accurate. For some reason though the fast i try to type the more accurate it is :icon_eek:

Search tags for this page
recover swype dictionary
shape writing vs swype

shapewriter vs swype

shapewriter vs swype android
swype vs shape writer