Severing ties from Apple

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Wow, really? And people on here wonder why Apple fanbois think Android users are bigger fanbois than they are...:icon_eek:

So, all you "still rocking my 2 year old, overclocked and overworked, struggling to run Gingerbread D1`s "...are you realistically stating, for fact, that the DX when it came out, and now the TBolt, were not worthy upgrades as far as hardware goes? Really...fo realz?

Pay close attention when I say this...and I will go slow...BBBBBBBB SSSSSSS!

Now, you may say that you are reluctant to upgrade because you love your D1, I`ll buy that, but to say the DX wasnt a worthy upgrade is patently false. Yes, you can overclock the D1 and get speeds exceeding the stock DX..but the DX will still go faster even with a locked bootloader...same as the D2 and D2G. Yes, you can change kernels..really a moot point considering even with a kernel change you cant exceed the speed of a DX or D2/D2G. You can run GB, but is it truly better, or even as smooth as a natively clocked 1ghz processor...or that of a 1ghz dual core..? Where do you plug in your HDMI cable? Wheres the 8GB of internal storage for apps on that awesome sauce D1 located? All around the DX was a worthy upgrade.., the number of used D1`s for sale on CL, Swappa and Ebay attest to that...the fact that you dont think so shouldnt cloud others from getting a good phone now instead of playing the "just around the corner" upgrade game.

Sitting with a phone for 2 years obviously isnt that big of a problem, else you would have made a switch...so why keep harping to others telling them to wait for a "about to drop" phone so they dont have to settle with a lesser phone or 2 years...it makes no sense. IMO, you are the ones doing a disservice to these people wanting to switch...:icon_eek:

I stand by the advice I gave the OP...go play with a few phones...get the phone you want now, and that you can be happy with for a couple of years if you have to...like these D1 fellas....I will gladly continue to rock my EOL, unsupported, not a worthy replacement Droid X....:)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, really? And people on here wonder why Apple fanbois think Android users are bigger fanbois than they are...:icon_eek:

So, all you "still rocking my 2 year old, overclocked and overworked, struggling to run Gingerbread D1`s "...are you realistically stating, for fact, that the DX when it came out, and now the TBolt, were not worthy upgrades as far as hardware goes? Really...fo realz?

Now, you may say that you are reluctant to upgrade because you love your D1, I`ll buy that, but to say the DX wasnt a worthy upgrade is patently false. Yes, you can overclock the D1 and get speeds exceeding the stock DX..but the DX will still go faster even with a locked bootloader...same as the D2 and D2G. Yes, you can change kernels..really a moot point considering even with a kernel change you cant exceed the speed of a DX or D2/D2G. You can run GB, but is it truly better, or even as smooth as a natively clocked 1ghz processor...or that of a 1ghz dual core..? Where do you plug in your HDMI cable? Wheres the 8GB of internal storage for apps on that awesome sauce D1 located? All around the DX was a worthy upgrade.., the number of used D1`s for sale on CL, Swappa and Ebay attest to that...the fact that you dont think so shouldnt cloud others from getting a good phone now instead of playing the "just around the corner" upgrade game.

Sitting with a phone for 2 years obviously isnt that big of a problem, else you would have made a switch...so why keep harping to others telling them to wait for a "about to drop" phone so they dont have to settle with a lesser phone or 2 years...it makes no sense. IMO, you are the ones doing a disservice to these people wanting to switch...:icon_eek:

I stand by the advice I gave the OP...go play with a few phones...get the phone you want now, and that you can be happy with for a couple of years if you have to...like these D1 fellas....I will gladly continue to rock my EOL, unsupported, not a worthy replacement Droid X....:)

You're getting way too passionate without reading what's being said. The dx is not a worthy upgrade now, no matter how much you want to convince yourself it is. A year ago yes it was a worthy upgrade for the d1 but it definitely isn't now. Why would you sign a two year contract on a year old phone now? Two years is a loooong time in the mobile world.

I think it would be silly to get one now considering what's available or will be available soon, but then again I'm just a "d1 fella"...whatever that's supposed to mean

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The droid X is not a worthy upgrade to the OG, you're only saying this because you have the DX, it's a fact, not an opinion.

" All around the DX was a worthy upgrade.., the number of used D1`s for sale on CL, Swappa and Ebay attest to that"

Oh yeah? So the general public is usually "In the know", about what is or isn't a worthy upgrade for them?

I see we aren't on the same level of intelligent conversation, enjoy your half step phone. We'll upgrade when there's a reason to.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
The droid X is not a worthy upgrade to the OG, you're only saying this because you have the DX, it's a fact, not an opinion.

" All around the DX was a worthy upgrade.., the number of used D1`s for sale on CL, Swappa and Ebay attest to that"

Oh yeah? So the general public is usually "In the know", about what is or isn't a worthy upgrade for them?

I see we aren't on the same level of intelligent conversation, enjoy your half step phone. We'll upgrade when there's a reason to.
I dont see how the DX is a half step.

As for the original post, I can say I am much happier with VZW then ATT just switched about a month ago myself. I havent dropped a call since. A little disappointed that the store told me I had to call Customer Service when I had a billing question because they could only access what I saw online, while customer service could access more detailed info. Otherwise, the My Verizon app is great! Service is reliable, and so far customer service has been a pleasure to deal with unlike ATT.

On the phone side of things, I am happy with my Droid 2 Global, but thats because I need a physical keyboard. I dont suppose thats a problem for you. So the DX2 would be a good candidate imo. If you want to try to hold off a month or two to see if any of the rumored phones drop, then go for it, but there will always be something newer and better right around the corner. I would wait until your contract end, head to VZW and check out what phone they have then, or wait a month or two and then check. Either way to be sure not to hold out and hold out for the next best thing because its always around the corner.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

You're getting way too passionate without reading what's being said. The dx is not a worthy upgrade now, no matter how much you want to convince yourself it is. A year ago yes it was a worthy upgrade for the d1 but it definitely isn't now. Why would you sign a two year contract on a year old phone now? Two years is a loooong time in the mobile world.

I think it would be silly to get one now considering what's available or will be available soon, but then again I'm just a "d1 fella"...whatever that's supposed to mean
Where did I say to upgrade to the DX? I said go and take a DX, DX2, DINC2 and any other phone that the OP feels is comparable to his iPhone 3GS...and make his purchase based on the actual phones and their capabilities...because they are here today, and not "rumored". If you inferred my loyalty to my DX as me telling the OP to go get it, then either I wasnt clear, or you were reading what I wrote incorrectly...and judging from my quoted post, I dont think I was unclear in my instructions...

The only thing I am passionate about, is giving a person honest, as good as I can get, sincere advice...and that does not include the "toeing the party line" of "wait til ______________ super-duper, catch me-____me phone comes out in 3-6 months. All that does it make a person suffer with a device that they obviously wanted to get away from, while wholly worthwhile alternatives are available today. To do any less is nothing but a disservice, and I stand by that.:)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Where did I say to upgrade to the DX? I said go and take a DX, DX2, DINC2 and any other phone that the OP feels is comparable to his iPhone 3GS...and make his purchase based on the actual phones and their capabilities...because they are here today, and not "rumored". If you inferred my loyalty to my DX as me telling the OP to go get it, then either I wasnt clear, or you were reading what I wrote incorrectly...and judging from my quoted post, I dont think I was unclear in my instructions...

The only thing I am passionate about, is giving a person honest, as good as I can get, sincere advice...and that does not include the "toeing the party line" of "wait til ______________ super-duper, catch me-____me phone comes out in 3-6 months. All that does it make a person suffer with a device that they obviously wanted to get away from, while wholly worthwhile alternatives are available today. To do any less is nothing but a disservice, and I stand by that.:)

Yeah ill admit I thought you were implying he get an X...if you weren't I apologize.

But I do wonder why you think sincere advice wouldn't be telling him to wait. We have different opinions so it's whatever but..yeah.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Yeah ill admit I thought you were implying he get an X...if you weren't I apologize.

But I do wonder why you think sincere advice wouldn't be telling him to wait. We have different opinions so it's whatever but..yeah.
I didnt say telling him to wait isnt sincere...it may very well be your sincerest advice..but as you said, we disagree on the course of action. I can not no more tell him to wait on a phone that may never ship, than tell my friends at work who have DX`s to go ahead and bite the bullet and upgrade to DX2`s...because IMO, either of those suggestions would be wrong.

There are several great phones available right now that outclass, out perform and overall are excellent upgrades from an iPhone 3GS the OP is using. My almost 1 year old X kills an iPhone 3GS in almost every aspect that matters...the DX2 kills it in every aspect, as does the DINC2, Tbolt and Charge...so why exactly would the OP need to wait 1,3 or 6 more months on a phone that has no hard due date when he has these other phones available now that will do everything he has been doing, things he hasnt been able to do, and things he might not even know how to do at this time? It doesnt make sense to me...and i am sure I cant be the only person who thinks this way.

But, for the sake of the argument/discussion, what exactly will the Bionic do that is so much different than the Tbolt, DINC2, Charge or DX2? 4G...still not everywhere, but the Tbolt and Charge can do it.
FFC...cant fathom any real use for this, but dont the DINC, Charge and TBolt all 3 have FFC`s?
Dual-core processor? Yep, DX2 has one...and still I havent seen any real-world apps released that actually take advantage of the actual raw processing power, so we are left to run single core apps at a modest increase while theoretically battery usage consumption should go down...the jury is still out though...

So...explain to me what the overwhelming reason is to wait on a phone that is rumored to do everything listed above, but has no hard ship date, when you can get a phone that may have to give up at a max, 2 options that are possibly not even deal-breakers in the greater sense of the word such as FFC, Dual Core or LTE, in order to get away from a 2 year old 3GS iPhone?:huh: