1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Severe redraw lag in Launcher Pro (plus other issues)

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by stark23x, Jun 21, 2010.

1. stark23x

stark23x New Member

I know this was being discussed elsewhere but I though maybe we could consolidate the discussion about Launcher Pro in one place...

First things...this is everything on all my home screens (I'm only using 4):

Launcher Pro 0.6.0
    Beautiful (smaller home)
    Genie news/weather app
    Pure Calendar
    Power Control
    Cachemate widget
    Reboot widget
    ES Task Manager widget
    SetCPU widget
    Miscellaneous and various shortcuts to apps

It doesn't seem to matter what screen I am on or what widgets are on that screen...every so often, unless I am running the kernel flat-out at 1.25...the screen lags and icons pop into being on at a time, them widgets slowly, one at a time, then the screen freezes for a second or two, then everything is fine again for a bit. Eventually it happens again. I'll close something and it's like the phone ran out of memory and has to dump what it's doing and redraw the screen.

Stock launcher is not doing this, but stock launcher also sucks hairy rat behind, so...there's that. It doesn't rotate, it doesn't allow 4 buttons and all the customization, blah blah blah you all know why you love Launcher Pro. :)

The other issue I have is the same as many; Launcher Pro simply doesn't see what is on the SD card until after SD housekeeping is done and you restart Launcher Pro. It is kind of becoming a pain in the rear...And I noticed that the stock launcher *is* seeing all the apps. So is GDE. Sees them all when Launcher Pro is not. So...whatever they are doing, Launcher Pro needs to do. Periodically polling the system to ask what is installed maybe? Although as I type that it seems like a battery suck, so that may not be a good idea.

Thoughts? Your experiences? How can we make this kick-ass Launcher Pro an even more kick-ass product? Is this redraw problem happening for people on other roms? Is it a Bugless issue and not Launcher Pro?
  2. guardianali

guardianali New Member

Mine did this till I noticed in launcher options the "keep in memory" option. If this isnt checked the OS will close Launcher Pro thinking its like any other app and when it does, when you go back to homescreen the Launcher pro process must be relaunched which is what causes ur delay.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. Mojo

Mojo New Member

I'm having the same redraw issues
  4. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

Yes the current build of Froyo doesn't keep the launcher locked into memory, so it restarts when you press the home button after not being on it for some time. I don't think there's a fix unless a Dev wants to crack open a bottle of stress.
  5. stark23x

stark23x New Member

It's happening to me whether I have it checked or not...I tried it unchecked, rebooted, waited for it to happen. Then I checked the box, rebooted and bang: still happens.
  6. sighrus

sighrus New Member

Same here, even with all my apps transferred over to phone with none on sd card anymore. I thought this might fix the lag issue, but no dice.
  7. kenbarnum

kenbarnum New Member

I determined that it was Launcher Pro 0.6.0. I restored my backup of an older version and do NOT have the problem...Now I'm waiting for the next update before I catch back up.
  8. ljholland

ljholland New Member

Seeing the same thing. It seems that once LauncherPro is awake for a while, it's fine. But, coming out of standby it's lagging very badly. The previous version did not behave this way.
  9. kenbarnum

kenbarnum New Member

I went to launcherpro.com forums and reported it. Would prob help if everyone did!
  10. stark23x

stark23x New Member

I kinda temporarily switched to ADW. And I'm kinda likin' it. But I will absolutely hit the launcherpro.com forums and report.
  11. Smeech

Smeech New Member

I reverted back to 0.5.4 and it seems to be a bit quicker. The APK is still on launcherpro's website. There's still apparent redraw but it doesn't lag as much. I have 250/550 set on my setcpu standby profile.
  12. trebb

trebb New Member

I've been having the same problems. :(
  13. SL-1200

SL-1200 New Member

Yea I started a thread about this same issue. IT got so painfully slow that I have gone back to Pete's .1 Froyo and haven't had a problem (also the reboots were a reason I reverted). Stock Froyo seemed to not have an issue as well. Certainly the latest version with the "Keep in Memory" option has helped dramatically. I still am curious as to what will cause this and if there are any hacks to reduce this. Low memory obviously seems like a good reason but I know that at least 50mb should be free.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  14. wustehase

wustehase New Member

Just to report in, I'm having the exact same issues, and I am/have been running ADW Launcher.
  15. actngrezy

actngrezy Beta Team Developer

They have 2 new updates for launcher pro and if you read the changelog you he set it up so that the user now has to set his memory features. you can select light, med, and high for memory and high is for people who have 5 screens not a lot of widgets and icons. Medium is the default memory setting whihc is basically medium settign and light is for people with alot of widgets screens and icons. he said that people were takign a performance hit to have stability because the amount of memory goes up when your launcher has alot of options/widgets and icons. This was cauing issues because he was basically using a formula to make it work for everyone when everyones launcher is set up different.
    Basically I set my setting on high because I only hav e5 screens not to many widgets and icons which my linpack went up from high 14's to high 15s after changing this and moving most of my apps to my sd card. My quadrant also went up almost and average of 60 points. Launcher seem snappier now and have not had any issues so far.
    It explains a litte more in his change log on the website under 6.1 change log so if you update and set the settings you should be good to go now hopefully will help some issues I've read about in here.
  16. wustehase

wustehase New Member

Anyone have any fixes or suggestions for this aside from running launcher pro?
  17. Smeech

Smeech New Member

I updated to .62 and find that the "high" memory management setting works best for me.. I have 4 Widgets (setcpu, bw smaller home, powercontrol, android agenda)and 37 icons between 5 screens. Still not solves completely but seems just as good as version .54.

Now that the Froyo source was officially released it'll only get better from here.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  18. unclebrudy

unclebrudy New Member

Just chiming in...

I've had similar experiences as everyone here in this thread. I'm glad I found this thread because I was starting to mess with the memory tweaks & Pete's script trying to prevent LauncherPro from getting kicked out of memory so much.

My Droid: BB V0.2.1, Chevy's ULV 1.2, stock 16gb, & pretty much every non-system & non-widget app moved to SD.

After countless attempts & configurations (checking the "Keep in Memory Box", SD reformat, moving all apps back into internal memory, enabling/disabling/tweaking Pete's script, enabling/disabling/tweaking sysctl.conf, even wipe x3 & reinstall and *not* using TiBackup) I've at long last nailed the problem with my device.

I reverted to LauncherPro V0.5.1. For whatever reason, it simply stays in memory. I've maxed out tabs on the browser, same in Dolphin Browser, played some tunes, watched some Avatar, etc etc & it's rock solid in memory with no redraws. It will reload & redraw after certain games, like Homerun3D & Backbreaker, as well as if I watch to many Flash videos, but besides that, for normal use it seems to do the trick dependably, even with most of my apps back on the SD.

Sure, you lose out on the new features, like freezing wallpaper, but after trying the newest versions, I'm fully convinced it's the newer code, even if V0.5.1 doesn't have the "Keep In Memory" option per se. I'm sure the dev will eventually tune it to Froyo, but for now, V0.5.1 seems to be the lesser of all evils.

Download it off the launcherpro site & try it out, I hope you all have the same experience as me.
  19. gertman

gertman New Member

I have had really bad redraw issues with LauncherPro so switched to ADW and now I am having force close issues....even when I am in another program all of a sudden ADW will force close???

I am running Cryanogen RC1 (so I can use PSX emulator) + the marketplace fix + Kernal 1.2 from jdlfg
  20. Ryzor

Ryzor New Member

Are the people having the severe redraw lag using 5 rows of icons instead of 4?

I was previously using that, and turned it off. I am noticing considerably less redraw and lag.
Search tags for this page

launcher pro lag

launcher pro lag fix

launcher pro lag problem

launcher pro plus key

launcher pro plus lag