Severe battery problems after 2.2 update--new battery did not fix

mnw

Reaction score
I've had a Droid since December with no problems at all. Good battery life, only charged overnight and would last all day and evening. Since the 2.2 update, it immediately would die within a couple of hours. The Verizon tech help over the phone had me install task killer and noticed that it randomly opens apps and continues constantly to reopen and run them in the background after I kill them. They sent me a replacement phone. I received it and the replacement does the exact same thing. A phone that you can't use for more than 3 hours if not plugged in is worthless. I called again and was told that shouldn't happen on either phone (obviously) and transferred me to Motorola. Motorola had no idea what was wrong and told me to go into a Verizon store. I went to a Verizon store and they told me the only thing they could do was send me ANOTHER refurbished replacement phone or a new battery, as that was most likely the issue. (which is clearly is not) I argued, they insisted. They gave me a new battery. That was 2 1/2 hours ago and my phone is dead again, with the brand new battery.

Does anyone know of this happening on the original Droid after the 2.2 update, or what can be done about it???

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Task Killer will NOT help ant dying battery issue....

janson745

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem and right here on the forums, I was told to go to the market and download "Juice Defender". I did. I ran the setup and clicked "Enable". Done, that easy and I have my old battery life again.

Hope this helps you too!

OP
M

mnw

Reaction score
How else do you know that it's running programs in the background constantly draining the battery? I didn't have it, but Verizon tech help TOLD me to install it. AND tech help at the store installed one on the new replacement phone, as well. Either way, I had the issue before I installed Task Killer.

OP
M

mnw

Reaction score
Does Juice Defender allow you to receive texts immediately or only when you turn your screen on?

Reaction score
Is Juice Defender working on CDMA phones now? It used to not be compatible so I uninstalled.

Uninstall the task killer. Also check your widget update settings and be sure GPS is turned off.

OP
M

mnw

Reaction score
GPS is not running. it says the display is 75% of what drained my battery, but it's on the dimmest setting. HELP

Reaction score
Is it sitting on your desk or otherwise so you know the screen is in fact turning off? In your battery usage how long has the display been used?

OP
M

mnw

Reaction score
Yes, the screen turns off. It doesn't say how long, it just says 75%

janson745

Reaction score
Is Juice Defender working on CDMA phones now? It used to not be compatible so I uninstalled.

Uninstall the task killer. Also check your widget update settings and be sure GPS is turned off.

Works perfectly on VZW Moto Droid. CDMA support. I have had it running for about a week or so.... Its night and day from before I had it.

mnw, you need to go to the market and get it now. Juice Defender and you will be all set.

OP
M

mnw

Reaction score
janson745--it's the display that is draining the battery, but it's at the dimmest setting.