Severe Battery Life Loss

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bump47, Jul 8, 2010.

1. bump47

bump47 New Member

Ok so I am currently running BB 1.1 and I am using Battery left to keep track of my battery. The past week I was having about a 21 hour battery life. However, yesterday it reset and my battery is draining crazy fast with only an 11 hour battery life. What happened? Any ideas
  2. czonin

czonin New Member

Check your battery usages and see what it says is draining it most.
  3. bump47

bump47 New Member

Display is draining it the most, followed by Cell Standby. Weird. And im at about 25% brightness. Never experience this poor of battery life before
  4. bump47

bump47 New Member

Is it at all possible that my poor battery life is from using a longer usb cable that isn't made my motorola or verizon? Im still using the actual plug in from vz but not the cable. That doesnt matter does it?
  5. s3t0

s3t0 New Member

hmmm, doubt the cable is whats the problem
    however, my batt. started doing that then it just literally stopped holding charge, went to VZ store and they handed me a free one!
  6. bump47

bump47 New Member

Today on the way to work I plugged my phone into the audio jack to listen to the radio and when I got to work I looked at my battery and I', already down to 90% after 26 minutes!! What is that? Also, I'm rooted so I really hope that I dont have to take it in to get a new battery. Im not anywhere near a PC, Im a Mac user. Any other ideas as to what is going on?
  7. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Often sudden reduction in battery life is a function of cell signal strength. A weak signal will absolutely eat a battery.
  8. bump47

bump47 New Member

I had great cell signal the whole time. It's just so weird for it to go from 21 hours of battery life to 11 overnight
  9. bump47

bump47 New Member

Anything guys, I'm stumped
  10. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I missed the part initially about your phone rebooting. Perhaps that means you're having an issue with your rom or more likely with your kernel. If this was happening to me, I would either reflash that rom, or more likely I would go ahead and move to one of the current and very stable roms: BBV0.4, Sapphire (my current fav), etc. If not that course, I would reinstall the kernel.
  11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

If the phone is rebooting on its own, remember that the time-since-unplugged resets on a reboot. Same with any time you plug it in even just to read the SD card.

Also worth considering is startup apps. As much as people claim that you don't need a task manager, I find it is very useful for killing apps that start on boot that you don't want to be running. Some don't have an option for disabling start-on-boot and some just don't heed the setting. A reboot brings the phone back to a battery-killing state of running way too much in the background and a little bit of killing is needed to calm it down.

I've also noticed a HUGE gain in battery life switching back to the stock launcher. Even though LauncherPRO or ADW claimed to not be using more than 5-10% of battery as listed in the battery use results, switching back to the stock launcher brought me back up to 20-22 hours or so on a charge.

Check your display timeout settings as well. I've noticed that some roms and even some apps change it to something far longer than 1 minute. If you check your phone a lot, you can lose a lot of battery if the screen doesn't turn back off again right away.

Also check your CPU speed with an app like SetCPU. Some ROMs come with an overclocked kernel and is set at the maximum speed by default. If you want a longer battery life, you should scale this down to a more reasonable speed.
  12. bump47

bump47 New Member

Ok i changed my screen timeout to 15 seconds and let me clarify. I mistyped when I said "it reset" what I meant to say was that I reset my battery left widget and recalibrated bc it was off. Now I still only am getting 10 hours of battery life and it sucks. Any chance that my battery just got too hot and is slowly dying? It was left in my car and when I picked it up it said the temp was like 125 F. Should I buy a new battery?
  13. bump47

bump47 New Member

Any ideas? Should I buy another battery? Is mine just fried?
  14. s3t0

s3t0 New Member

borrow a buddies battery?
    id say go and compain to verizon about the batt.
    I did and they gave me a free one