Seven reasons why I think Motorola will change cellular.

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
I have been thinking a lot about Motorola and my phone, and why its awesome, etc. I think that Motorola is going to totally change the way that cell works, and heres why...

1. The Moto X is something new and completely different. In the past it seems like the only thing that really mattered in a phone was how much RAM it had, and how many cores. Basically quad-core > anything else. Well, the Moto X may only be a dual-core, but its so efficient that it is much smoother than any other phone Ive ever seen (this is based on the fact that I had an S4 I got rid of for the Moto X). The user experience with the Moto X is out of this world. It does things that other phones just cant. It has a ridiculously good battery life. It basically only lights the pixels that need to be lit for notifications. That means in a completely dark room only the actual text is lit, there is no huge backlight the will give you a sun burn. So, basically the phones are innovative. This phone can be completely designed the way you want it. You pick your colors, your accents, your stock wallpapers, you can even have it custom engraved with your own text. You can even put your own text on the boot screen! Basically, variety is what makes life great. You can even buy accessories like SOL headphones that are color matched to your phone! Lastly, they are (to the best of my knowledge) the only ones to sell a Dev edition that has the boot loader unlocked, especially on Verizon.
  2. Price price price (and marketing)... Basically Motorola has made a very cool phone that's not $700 retail. They also do a good job of promos. They offered the Moto X for $349 without a contract yesterday. They are going to do it again on Monday. Even if it weren't on sale it would be $499. In comparison the S4 was like $649 starting for off-contract this will be appealing to Verizon customers that don't want to lose their unlimited data, and don't want to empty their piggy banks to buy it.
  3. If you do want to buy it outright you can afford it. So, if want to buy a phone at full retail you can get financing through Motorola. My understanding is that there is no interest for a year a half. This basically allows you to get a phone (that's already affordable) and not be stuck paying for it by a two year contract, or by the pay per month plans the carrier offers (I don't remember what its called, sorry).
  4. MotoCare - When I had my S4 I was paying $8 a month for insurance. I actually broke my S4 screen at one point and found out I also had a $100 payment to get a new one. Not cool! So, when you buy a new Motorola phone you can buy MotoCare which is $85 up front. This provides you protection for up to 2 years for loss, theft or damage. You can file up to three claims, and each claim is $29.99. Pretty dang cool if you ask me! So, you're no longer stuck paying the carriers insurance every month and then paying the insurance company $100 on top of that to get a new phone.
  5. The Moto G - This is the big one (I think). If you haven't heard of it yet, Google/Motorola is about to release a new phone called the Moto G. This phone is pretty cool because it is $179 with no contact. I work at Taco Bell and I can afford this! Now, I would rather have my Moto X, but if I couldn't afford it, or I broke my Moto X without MotoCare I could easily go get one of these. So, while the specs aren't the same as the X (but still awesome) it is better than ANYTHING apple has ever made. So it will be an easy Apple replacement. It has a Snapdragon S400 chipset (Quad Core), 1 GB or RAM, 8 GB or 16 GB of storage, and a fill 720 HD display. The point is, I can't imagine how a decent phone for less than $200, for any carrier, without a contact, can't change the cell world.
  6. Data Migration - As most of you know, Google owns Motorola. This means that Motorola can offer a few things that other manufacturers just can't do. Specifically, when I got my Moto X I notice an app on my phone to migrate my data from my old phone. All I had to do was install the same app on my S4 from the Play Store, and sync them. This app copied all of my call history, text messages, photos, videos, contacts, wallpapers, etc, etc, etc to my Moto X from my S4. My understanding of why this is possible is because Google basically signed the app on the S4, so it essentially gets system level privileges (almost like root) on the S4. To the best of my knowledge no other manufacturer can do that without a hard cable, etc.
  7. Moto X special perks - When I signed into my Google Drive the first time from my Moto X it popped up with a message that basically said: Thanks for buying a Moto X, heres 50 GB of free storage on Google Drive for 2 years! Secondly when I bought my Moto X at the end of the checkout on their cart (for Moto Maker) it gave me $25 in Play Store credit. I believe these two things are Moto X specific offers.

In conclusion, (practicing my English class skills) I think that Motorola, through their innovation, financing, easy migration, and affordable phones, is going to rock the cellular industry. They are basically providing a better alternative to everything the carriers currently offer, all without getting locked into a contract with a carrier. Of course, these are just my opinions. Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
MotoXGirl

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
Oh wow... I just went back and realized that I got carried away... I don't know how to change my post title, but it seems like maybe it should be "Seven reasons why I think Motorola will change cellular." Haha!

OP
MotoXGirl

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
LOL, fixed it for you. Click edit then advanced, (future reference)

Thanks! Thats funny.. I just kept going and going. Im guessing no one will actually read my novel. haha

kyboy

Reaction score
I did. And now I'm intrigued by the X.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kyboy

Reaction score
I looked at it in the store hit didn't have much time to mess with. With the points you have made I'm just looking to do some more research on it now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I like all your reasons for how Moto will change the cell phone game. I was definitely intrigued when they first announced their new direction and went against the grain. Heck I'm still on the fence about picking up a X next Monday during their sale, it'd be fun to have 2 phones to play with for once.

Right now I'm on the s4 but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a Moto device after this or maybe even sooner.

Their new direction is about efficiency and user experience, which is something I think comes second to the other major players in the game right now.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I didn't read it at all...

No, I'm lying. I read it all! LOL! It's great to have members just give their true opinions, and not to say what they think everyone wants to hear. We all learn from each other and even learn from ourselves at times. This is true of you, MotoXGirl. You learned things about yourself and your writing style that you may not have known. You've also honed those skills (like sharpening a blade on a honing stone), by simply getting in there and getting your fingers dirty. That takes massive courage, especially when you put it out there for public display in this way. For that, I commend you!

Your accounts of the phone and what makes it different for you are real-world accounts, not specs and benchmarks, etc. That's what really counts at the end of the day. I have seen devices with top specs perform like they're a broken toy, and I've seen very modest devices do their job, do it every time, and do it well. Form and function are the key words. If the form works for you ergonomically, and the function does the job, who really cares about what it's supposed to be capable of?

Another thing you pointed out which is truly a game-changer IMHO as well, is that this phone is shooting for a price-point that is far below nearly all competition, and is doing it without skimping on performance or presentation. The phone LOOKS GOOD, you can make it LOOK GOOD TO YOU, and you can make it YOUR PHONE, all while bringing it down to a price level that is attainable by the greater masses and with no strings attached.

It doesn't hurt that the company is really putting all their skin in the game. Insurance, financing, even a bonus monetary "thank you" at the end to "seal the deal". I think they're going to win huge points for those three very important aspects. We all know these phones will at times suffer a drop and shatter. We all know that there's a huge portion of the market out there that's tapped out financially and has no means to afford another lump sum purchase. We all know that getting something "free" (or perceived to be free), or a simple thank you is far more valuable than a lot of promises.

Finally, I don't think that ANYONE can credibly argue that Motorola doesn't make the best wireless communication radios/antennas combinations out there. Back to what I said before...form and function. Motorola has them both locked down tight (as well as all the aforementioned aspects), with the X and I think it's a harboring of greater things to come!

Excellent essay!! You can include my evaluation as a testament, to your teacher!

View attachment 68377

:biggrin:

Edit; Image is now showing correctly! YAY!

Last edited:

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I'll agree with the part about the MOTO G. It will be good to get some more economical phones out there that are still decent in specs. I have a friend who just jumped ship to Apple because he said he was tired of his phone being so slow and having such a low amount of RAM. But he owned one of those $0.01 phones he got on contract - I think a Pantech. While *he* didn't blame it on Android, there are too many out there that will blame the OS for a phone's hardware shortcomings. The Moto G should help that a bit. And maybe some other companies will start doing the same and offering some decent phones at lower prices to compete.

It could be a win for a lot of customers and Android as a whole.

lowvolt

Reaction score
Great write up. I only purchase Motorola phones.

via my slapped KIT KAT moto X

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Just a quick reply to say that the HTC One has a transfer tool that was released before Moto, and it transfers using a wifi connection created between the two devices :)

Sent from my Droid Maxx