Setup for my Droid Pro:

jimbo11mcm

Reaction score
1. I use Keep Screen to keep apps open that I use for an extended period, like email and the browser. Avoids screen timeout.

2. I use BetterCut widgets on my home page to press for an instant dial to a contact. Avoids a 2 step operation.

3. I use NoLock to allow the phone to start up without sliding the lock icon.

4. I use NoLock and no apps selected on the mappable side button to allow screen refresh using the side button.

5. I use Easy Reminder to get a aural tone for an incoming email or SMS text. I have it set to notify me once. It can be set for varying times up to infinite.

6. I have purchased a 16GB Class 2 MicroSD card and installed it in place of the 2GB card.

7. I use MyBackup Pro to do a daily backup of everything on my phone to my SD card. I have the original SD card secured so if the phone is actually lost or stolen, I can restore everything.

8. I have the extended battery installed.

9. I have Visible Battery manager installed.

10. I use Calendroid as my calendar app.

11. I have Real Signal installed to give me a visual indication of phone and data signal strength in the top notification area.

12. I have Weatherbug elite pro installed.

13. I use Kindle for ebooks.

14. I use Printer Share to print to my home or any other printer from anywhere.

15. I use AK Notepad to put notes into the phone. The voice enter capability is excellent with very high recognition.

That's about it. I have the same setup on my Droid X, plus Rhapsody to go.

Reaction score
So you have the Droid X as welll? With the same setup which phone are you liking more? Do you regret making the switch? Do you miss the screen real estate?

OP
J

jimbo11mcm

Reaction score
Droid X

Actually, the Droid X is my primary phone and I love it. I have the Droid Pro that I setup and basically maintain for my wife, who is coming off a Blackberry 8830. It took her about a week to start getting used to it, but she likes it a lot now.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
So you have the Droid X as welll? With the same setup which phone are you liking more? Do you regret making the switch? Do you miss the screen real estate?

I have both the X and the Pro. I thought i might toggle devices a bit, but the Pro has become my "go-to" device. I thought i would miss the screen size, but that's become a non-issue. I do miss themes and custom rom's (hopefully that will come).

Reaction score

I have both the X and the Pro. I thought i might toggle devices a bit, but the Pro has become my "go-to" device. I thought i would miss the screen size, but that's become a non-issue. I do miss themes and custom rom's (hopefully that will come).

Yea, this is what I am hearing. It all boils down to the similar dilemma I went through a few months ago when the Droid 2 came out. I knew I wanted a physical keyboard but I don't like the hassle of sliding out a keyboard and changing orientation every time I want to send a message. Because of this, I eventually passed on the Droid 2. However, now that the Droid Pro is here, my dilemma is back with an even tougher decision. I am going to lose 1.2" of screen real estate and HD video recording, but gain a front facing full QWERTY keyboard (which I desperately want).

It's a tough call. Jimbo, I am sorry. I don't mean to derail your thread. I am just trying to gather opinions from people who have made the switch from the Droid X to the Droid Pro. It is good to hear a lot of people and reviewers say that they don't miss the Droid X's screen very much.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
My set up:

Hardware
-16 GB Class 6 Micro SD
-Extended battery

Power management tweaks & apps
-device rooted via z4root
-Screebl Pro
-SetCPU (throttle down to 300 when screen off)
-AutoKiller Memory Optimizer
-Uninstalled or frozen a bunch of stuff i don't use via Titanium Backup
-Changed phone radio from global to cdma
-App 2 SD

Interface/screens
-Launcher Pro Plus
>7 screens
>set columns and rows to 5x5
>calendar, people & bookmark widgets

-Home screen widgets
>gtab simiClock
>several Power Control Plus widget set to transparent
>Beautiful Weather

-Itching Thumb mapped to double tap of Home button
-Smart Bar mapped to swipe gesture of App Drawer handle

Replacement Apps
-Launcher: Launcher Pro Plus
-Dialer: DialerOne
-Email: K9 Mail
-Calendar: PocketInformant
-Files: Asto File Manager
-Backup: Titanium Backup

307no0z.jpg

bww143

Reaction score
A few I have found helpful are:

NO LED.- sometimes the blinking light is hard to see, so the screen will have a little blinking icon for missed calls, emails, texts, etc. (this will not work with a NOLOK type app though) although I love NOLOK too, I can't use it.

Simple sound profile widget- switch between sound profiles

Jorte- calendar app

MineVibrationSetting- sets different vibration types (including custom ones) and missed text reminders

Just put in the extended battery.

I was on a BB 8330 prior to this.

google123

Reaction score
hey halsey, how can I map doubla tap of home to launch an app like itching thumb? It doesnt show up in the list of apps available....thanks

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's an app in the marketplace called homesmack that does that but it requires root acess. To my knowledge root is the only way to assign the double click home to a specific app.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

thedose

Reaction score
My set up:

Hardware
-16 GB Class 6 Micro SD
-Extended battery

Power management tweaks & apps
-device rooted via z4root
-Screebl Pro
-SetCPU (throttle down to 300 when screen off)
-AutoKiller Memory Optimizer
-Uninstalled or frozen a bunch of stuff i don't use via Titanium Backup
-Changed phone radio from global to cdma
-App 2 SD

Interface/screens
-Launcher Pro Plus
>7 screens
>set columns and rows to 5x5
>calendar, people & bookmark widgets

-Home screen widgets
>gtab simiClock
>several Power Control Plus widget set to transparent
>Beautiful Weather

-Itching Thumb mapped to double tap of Home button
-Smart Bar mapped to swipe gesture of App Drawer handle

Replacement Apps
-Launcher: Launcher Pro Plus
-Dialer: DialerOne
-Email: K9 Mail
-Calendar: PocketInformant
-Files: Asto File Manager
-Backup: Titanium Backup

307no0z.jpg

that is mad impressive!

how difficult was it to do all of that?

jhalsey205

Reaction score
hey halsey, how can I map doubla tap of home to launch an app like itching thumb? It doesnt show up in the list of apps available....thanks

Requires Titanium Backup (at least for me) which requires root access:

1. Go to Setting / Application / Double tap home launch.

2. Change from "Voice Command" to something innocuous / you don't use ... like "News"

3. Launch Titanium; tap on "Backup / Restore" and navigate to "News" and tap and "Freeze!"

Then any app that tries to attach to the "double tap" home can do so.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

jhalsey205

Reaction score
that is mad impressive!

how difficult was it to do all of that?

It's not too difficult. Break it in couple of pieces: apps and system enhancements.

Apps (that support system enhancements), all of which are available in the Android Market.

• z4root - to root
  • Titanium Backup - will allow you to freeze and uninstall apps (and backup apps)
  • SetCPU - scale CPU
  • Screebl - screen brightness management
System enhancements

• Root with z4
  • In Titanium, you can freeze or uninstall whatever you want. I recommend "freeze" rather than uninstall (at least until you get comfortable with the process). There are a couple of threads that discuss what can be uninstalled: here and here.
  • Create a profile in SetCPU and configure. Tutorial here.
  • Change from Global to CDMA here.

The rest is just a bunch of (replacement) apps like LauncherPro (for launcher), Handcent (for sms) etc...

Jackooze

Reaction score
4. I use NoLock and no apps selected on the mappable side button to allow screen refresh using the side button.

Can you explain number 4 please. I use NoLock and trying to figure out where you selected no apps and how you achieved screen refresh.