Setting different notifications for email/text

cavaliercarey

Reaction score
This may be somewhat redundant to other questions but all I want to do is set different notification sounds for when a message vs a new email arrives. On my TouchPro I could set different sounds for different types of notifications. As far as I can tell the only thing you can do is set a global notification ringtone or sound? I need to hear different notifications for the different incoming item types. I've tried to do it through the individual applications but doesn't work. Driving me crazy!:icon_eek:

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
If you go to Settings>Sound & display settings, you will see "Notification ringtone" which allows you to set your DEFAULT tone. This will be the tone that plays when the unlock screen appears upon bootup, when the device is powering off, when it's connected to your computer, etc. You can, however, set an alternate notification tone within the applications themselves. For instance:

Go into Messaging, press the menu key and select Settings. Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see "Notificaton settings." pick "Select ringtone," select something and when you get a text, it'll play. You can also do the same thing by going into your Gmail, Email, and GTalk settings. Just make sure that the Email notifications box is checked. I have my Gmail and Email on Silent otherwise my phone would go off all night. No reason why this shouldn't work for you.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can try out the Missed Call app from the market also, it customizes LED lights also.

zuckerj

Reaction score
If you go to Settings>Sound & display settings, you will see "Notification ringtone" which allows you to set your DEFAULT tone. This will be the tone that plays when the unlock screen appears upon bootup, when the device is powering off, when it's connected to your computer, etc. You can, however, set an alternate notification tone within the applications themselves. For instance:

Go into Messaging, press the menu key and select Settings. Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see "Notificaton settings." pick "Select ringtone," select something and when you get a text, it'll play. You can also do the same thing by going into your Gmail, Email, and GTalk settings. Just make sure that the Email notifications box is checked. I have my Gmail and Email on Silent otherwise my phone would go off all night. No reason why this shouldn't work for you.

THANK YOU! I was beginning to believe this simple feature didn't exist.
:icon_ banana:

peanut2001

Reaction score
im having trouble keeping my ringtone to stay set i set one for notifications then overnight it changes back to default, any help would be great i have the droid 2 global

splat10

Reaction score
X2

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

awjones

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
im having trouble keeping my ringtone to stay set i set one for notifications then overnight it changes back to default, any help would be great i have the droid 2 global

You could give WhoIsIt a try. It allows you to set contact-specific ringtones for Gmail, SMS and MMS. You can also specify VIP contacts that will cause notifications even if your phone is on silent.

WhoIsIt
by AppsByAndy
1,000 downloads, 118 ratings (4.1 avg)
$1.99
rating8.png

e911

Reaction score
i hate to dig up an old topic, but i am having difficulty figuring out how to assign each email account its own ring tone. this is critical for me as i normally dont look at my phone for email unless one account that is set up to receive URGENT only messages.

is there a way to set up custom ring tones for each email account rather than just one default one overall for all email or texts?

thanks

awjones

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
i hate to dig up an old topic, but i am having difficulty figuring out how to assign each email account its own ring tone. this is critical for me as i normally dont look at my phone for email unless one account that is set up to receive URGENT only messages.

is there a way to set up custom ring tones for each email account rather than just one default one overall for all email or texts?

thanks

I just added account-specific ringtones for Gmail to the WhoIsIt app. Check it out on the Market or the link above.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

e911

Reaction score
thank you for the tip! does it work reliability? i have two email accounts on my phone that are CRITICAL that i get notice of email in.

e911

Reaction score
i downloaded the app, however it wont let me configure it for my other email accounts :( i guess I'll have to keep looking. thanks for the suggestion.