setting contact pictures limited to camera roll?

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
Took me a while to figure out what was happening (or not happening!), but my phone (X) will allow me to go through the motions of setting an existing photo as a specific contact photo in my contact list but it doesn't actually save it.

I got it to work a couple times but when trying to set up others it just wouldn't work. It took me a bit to figure out that only photos in my Camera Roll can successfully be used for my contacts... unfortunately my X is new and of the 300+ photos I have on my phone, only a few are ones I've taken with the phone (thus in the Camera Roll)...

Am I doing something wrong? Why will it let me go through the motions of setting an existing photo from the "All Photos" folder for a contact but just won't do the last step of actually saving it?

If this is a limitation of the phone/programming is there a way to get around it by moving my photos into a specific folder on my SD card?

LouS

Reaction score
Just go to Contacts, pick the contact you want to set the picture for, then Menu > Edit. Click on the little picture with the "+" at the top left, then Use Existing Photo...

OP
M

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
Just go to Contacts, pick the contact you want to set the picture for, then Menu > Edit. Click on the little picture with the "+" at the top left, then Use Existing Photo...

Thanks Lou, but that's what I meant by 'going through the motions'... I did what you stated above but unless I use 'Camera Roll' it doesn't work. I have about 300 photos that I've transfered to my phone (they are in multiple gallery folders as well as appear in the "All Photos" folder). I can select ANY photo and it will bring up the yellow box allowing me to choose the part of the photo I want to use.... then I can hit save but it just comes back up with a blank screen or the cropped picture (most of the time it saves the cropped photo as a separate photo in my All Photos folder). Point is it stays in the photo gallery application and doesn't take me back to the Contact application.

Now if I do the same thing but chose a photo specifically from the Camera Roll, once cropped and then I hit "save" it drops back to the Contact application and shows the cropped picture in the Contact edit page... which I can then save and it's done. Problem is that the majority of my photos are NOT in my Camera Roll but those are the photos I want to use for my Contacts....

OP
M

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
No one else having this problem? Or no one else trying to use photos not in Camera Roll for Contact tags?

LouS

Reaction score
I have no problem setting pictures that are not on my camera roll as contact pictures. Yes the crop box comes up and I have to crop the picture and it saves the cropped picture as a new picture but it does work...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I have no problem setting pictures that are not on my camera roll as contact pictures. Yes the crop box comes up and I have to crop the picture and it saves the cropped picture as a new picture but it does work...

I have no problems with it either....

You do know that if your contact has a facbook pic it will not over ride it....

scf

Reaction score
same here in 2.2. can't get pic to save to contact. i don't do the facebook crap.

shishibeach

Reaction score
I have this issue as well. I was able to save pictures to my contacts once (and those are pictures from the computer, not the X) but now can't change them - when I open the contact the new picture shows, but on my homescreen/favorites, or when the person calls me, the new picture is not there.

OP
M

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
I don't have any facebook stuff... it simply wont let me use a photo from any place other than the camera roll. maybe I'll try setting it up on my computer and see if the photo syncs to my phone... but highly doubt that!

Maybe it has something to do with the tag of the photo or size, etc... or maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right... :)

d2wheelz

Reaction score
i have the same problem, i think its pretty anoying, I saved a pic from a txt msg, it created a folder Messaging in the phone files and put the pic there, i wanted to use that for this persons contact, no go! took a pic with the camera of a can of soda, it created a folder in the DCIM folder called Camera and let me select that, now this contact has a photo of a can of soda that i cant change.

doolie

Reaction score
me too.....when I first got the phone I was able to pick pictures for my contacts - from pics on my computer mostly, some that transferred from my prior phone onto the DX.

Now, though, I can't make any changes. If I open up the contact, the correct picture shows on THAT screen, but on my home screen where I have my favorite/frequent contacts....it's either no picture or an old picture - which doesn't match what shows up if I open up the contact.

Glitch?

d2wheelz

Reaction score
me too.....when I first got the phone I was able to pick pictures for my contacts - from pics on my computer mostly, some that transferred from my prior phone onto the DX.

Now, though, I can't make any changes. If I open up the contact, the correct picture shows on THAT screen, but on my home screen where I have my favorite/frequent contacts....it's either no picture or an old picture - which doesn't match what shows up if I open up the contact.

Glitch?

I have only had my phone since saturday. Long time BB user, Change is good I guess but im use to certian thing I guess.

Now I cant assign a photo to a contact from the contact screen, BUT I can assign a photo to a contact from the gallery and "Set As" so I made a folder for profiles, and unlinked my contacts so the photo doesnt get updated .

I know this might be obvious but what does it show if you delete the shortcut from favorites, and create a new one, does the old photo show back up?

doolie

Reaction score
Interesting. I can assign pictures to contacts while in the contact itself but they don't transfer to the shortcut. I've also tried deleting and resetting the shortcut, with no change in the picture.

I tried it your way, and it worked. Did have to delete and reassign the shortcut, but at least the correct pictures are showing up now - thanks very much!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've had no issues. All my images I used are saved in my download folder since I took them from my dropbox. Did you link your contacts to a facebook account or something? I had issues with that because the facebook picture would always take over.

_eljayel

Reaction score
I have only had my phone since saturday. Long time BB user, Change is good I guess but im use to certian thing I guess.

Now I cant assign a photo to a contact from the contact screen, BUT I can assign a photo to a contact from the gallery and "Set As" so I made a folder for profiles, and unlinked my contacts so the photo doesnt get updated .

I know this might be obvious but what does it show if you delete the shortcut from favorites, and create a new one, does the old photo show back up?

THANK YOU! I couldn't think to do this to save my life.. I'd been going crazy all day trying to figure out ~why~ it wouldn't save contact photos from address book.

I'm also a new x owner... I ditched my bold a little over a week ago :x

thanks again!!! :yr1: