1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

SetCPU Vs Petes V1.1 CPU script

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by zathus, May 27, 2010.

1. zathus

zathus New Member

I know this has been a back and forth debate for a while now, and I planed on posting this question on the V1.1 page.. but considering 5 new posts are added to that page every second lol i figered id just start a new thread on it

firstly, before making any changes at all to petes roms I always install them first as he recomends. run it for a few hours to make sure theres no issues then start adding my costom themes or whatever.

so I installed V1.1 with the 1200 LV kernal. it runs like a champ but ofcorse being that the CPU is running at twice what it was built to do theres alot of extra heat. one of the apps I use to test out how fast or how high the temp of the CPU will go is a game called "the elements" from the market. its by far the most CPU intence app I have. after making no changes at all to the Rom and running this app for around 1 minute my CPU temp got up to around 160F. now, I dont know what the CPU can handle but that seems extreamly high to me. once testing this out, I removed the CPU comands in the pete script and installed setcpu. ran the app again, it got up to around 120 then the failsafe kicked in and trottled down the cpu as its ment to do.... but, the downside is setcpu runs in the background using more battery.

so in all this explaining ill get to the point! my question is, is the script that governs the CPU ment more for the 800 and lower clock speeds? I would prefer to not have to use a 3rd party app if I dont have too and I guess I want the best of both worlds, saving battery life along with managable temps. so is there something I could try or do or is the way I have it set up pretty much the way I have to keep it inorder to keep my phone from melting lol
  2. imati0n

imati0n New Member

I to would like to know the answer to this.
  3. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Ive been wondering too about how exactly petes script works, since I originally disabled it in favor of setCPU, but in light of recent issues with it I think I may go back to petes script.

As for the temps 160F is pretty high but its not extremely damaging/about to melt down (the OMAPs fail point is around 200-220F IIRC), Ive had mine up to 178F for a few minutes, but I wouldnt recommend keeping it above 130F for sustained amounts of time.
  4. Character Zero

Character Zero New Member

If I uninstall SetCPU and reboot will Pete's scripts kick in?
  5. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Well 160F is 71c which is pushing the safety barrier of the CPU in the Droid. Granted it can operate at that temp but not for any sustained amount of time. I am going to try this game out on BB v1.0 w/ BEkit 800 Mhz kernel and see what kind of temps I get.

EDIT: Downloaded and played the game, which is remarkably amusing, for 2 minutes and peaked and held at 43c which comes to 109F. Mind you this is with the 800 Mhz kernel and running Pete's script. My guess is that the 1.2 Ghz kernel is a bit too much for your Droid. Seeing that even with SetCPU the failsafe kicked in because it continued to heat up. I would suggest going to the 1 Ghz kernel and see how things work for you. Also note that the 800 Mhz kernel is REALLY fast.
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  6. Skull One

Skull One New Member

Without going into the very nitty gritty of how overclocking works in the Android OS it is 100% better and safer to use SetCPU, at present, over what is being done in Bugless Beast.

Both the script and SetCPU do the same thing. Set/Write files that the OS uses to determine what the min, max and performance mode are. Any program or script can do this. What SetCPU does beyond this is monitor battery level, cpu temp and battery temp. The amount of CPU time it takes to read those three items and decide what to do with that info takes maybe 100 milliseconds. And it only needs to do it once a minute at most, if that. I doubt SetCPU will use 2% of your battery over 24 hours of usage. Yet the benefits it provides can be the difference between a working Droid or a dead Droid.

I will be discussing this at length in my new set of articles on Overclocking the Droid. Hopefully Cereal Killer will get a chance to review my part 1 to make sure it meets DroidForums idea of how the subject should be covered.

And zathus, the Droid's CPU is rated for 170F. But the supporting chips that make up the OMAP3430 are only rated for 154F. If you allow the CPU to continue to bleed heat to the surrounding chips, you can possibly cause a failure.
  7. les017

les017 New Member

Yes, but there is no need to uninstall SetCPU. Open SetCPU and UNcheck everything that says "Set on Boot" as well as disable Profiles. Then reboot.

I am doing this for now, as I have memory of the Droid getting hot during long Navigation trips. So Until I do further tests I will keep SetCPU installed but disabled...just in case I need to force it down to 400MHz for a while.

To further get SetCPU out of any system memory you could apply the .bak extension so that it doesn't load at all, but is still on your phone.
  8. zathus

zathus New Member

ok, so I throtled down to 1100, tested out the game.. peaked out at around 135f.. went down to 1k.. peaked around 125. 125 is managable so Im going to install the 1k kernal. i agree that while im not getting any reboots running 1200, its clearly to much for my cpu.
  9. droid420

droid420 New Member

ok so i ask this. I still got petes script on my phone and im running setcpu with profiles set, cpu speeds change with my profiles no problems at all so is petes script not working or setcpu over riding it. where do I find this script? thanks guys for the help
  10. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

SetCPU is overriding it. The pete script is in /system/xbin, but you don't need to modify it for SetCPU to do its job just as its designed to do.
  11. zathus

zathus New Member

/system/xbin/pete is were the script is located. its also the script that autokills certian apps that seem to love to run in the background even when not in use.
  12. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Again, Pete's script (at least the 1.0 version, haven't looked at 1.1 but can't imagine it being different), just sets the max speed for the kernel you've installed at boot. If you use the 1.2 GHz kernel, the script has these lines:

echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo "1200000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo "250000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo "50" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    echo "32000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

Line 1, set the governor to ondemand
    Line 2, set the max speed to 1.2GHz
    Line 3, set the min speed to 250
    Line 4, set up threshold to 50
    Line 5, set sampling rate to 32,000

This script "takes the place" of setCPU in that you don't need setCPU if all you want to do is overclock and not use profiles. It DOES NOT provide profiles for you. The script just does what setCPU would do if you provided no profiles, set a max and min speed and set your governor to ondemand and selected "set at boot"

Everyone says the chip can handle 170F etc, but again, there is NO need at all for the chip to get that hot ever. I run 1.2GHz with setCPU profiles and I never go above 105 no matter what apps I'm running. I idle around 65-75. I don't plan on uninstalling or disabling setCPU because I want profiles and to me that's what extends my battery life (I've tried it with and without the pete script). YMMV, but seriously if you're hitting temps over 125 without setCPU then use setCPU. Your CPU does not need to run that hot no matter what app you're using, and if it does setCPU will use it's profiles to throttle down, and you can throttle down on the fly whenever you feel like it.

The pete script is beneficial in that you can get rid of one more app on your phone, but it's not the end all be all of overclocking ;)
  13. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid New Member

That's too funny -- 3 almost simultaneous answers to the same question!
  14. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

haha everyone has an opinion!
  15. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

yes this too...it does autokill apps.
  16. darksiiide

darksiiide New Member

I would LOVE to know how the hottest your cpu gets is 105...overclocked to 1.2 GHz....seriously...you got a modified heatsink?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  17. droid420

droid420 New Member

so is setcpu over riding the script? I have run bench test with setcpu on 800mhz and 1.1ghz and indeed setcpu is controling the cpu. most of the time I have profiles set at 800mhz max 400mhz min but there are times when I run it at 1.1ghz so I dont want to just use the script but I havent had any problems with the script still on the phone. what programs does it autokill?
  18. g8gt2012

g8gt2012 New Member

So just to clarify, for me anyway. If I am running BB 1.1 at whatever speed, I can still use Set CPU without disabling Pete's script and I will be OK? I just prefer to use something that I can set temp fail safes and so forth.
  19. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

haha no nothign like that, maybe i'm just lucky? I don't know, but I'm being honest. When I was using the pete script my temps would go to 125-130 which I guess is "normal" but I hate seeing my temps even hit 110. Maybe I'm getting inaccurate readings, who knows, but my phone doesn't feel superhot ever. It did feel hot when I had only the pete script. Not something I can explain but my temps range from 65-105, and very very rarely will it climb to like 110 or 111. I haven't seen 120s in weeks.
  20. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

yes you can run setCPU in conjunction with pete's script, or you can run setCPU by itself, or you can just run pete's script by itself. All three do three different things haha.
Search tags for this page

best setcpu alternative

samsung galaxy acclaim overclock

script cpu android

script cpu for android

script set cpu

script to set cpu android