SetCPU Sampling Rate = -1 ?????

y2k2

Reaction score
HI folks

I'm very new to this root/overclocking stuff.

Well, after fixing my mistakes I'm now at FRG22 with Chevy's Low Volt 1.25 GHz kernel. I notice that in SetCPU My sampling rate value = -1

Even if I change it back to 32000 as I had it goes right back after refreshing the screen. What does -1 mean and is that acceptable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

EbE404

Reaction score
HI folks

Well, after fixing my mistakes I'm now at FRG22 with Chevy's Low Volt 1.25 GHz kernel. I notice that in SetCPU My sampling rate value = -1

Even if I change it back to 32000 as I had it goes right back after refreshing the screen. What does -1 mean and is that acceptable?

thanks

I came across one other guy who mentioned this issue in this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a-27.html

Unfortunately, he could not recreate the issue, so a final solution was not found, but this would be a good thread to ask the question.

One thing I can ask is what do you have your governor setting as, and have you tried On Demand?

By the way, to lear more about overclocking and using SetCPU, that is a great thread for you to check out:

Good luck!

OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score
HI folks

thanks

I came across one other guy who mentioned this issue in this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a-27.html

Unfortunately, he could not recreate the issue, so a final solution was not found, but this would be a good thread to ask the question.

One thing I can ask is what do you have your governor setting as, and have you tried On Demand?

By the way, to lear more about overclocking and using SetCPU, that is a great thread for you to check out:

Good luck!
thanks for the link

I have my max/min set to 1000/250 respectively and set to on-demand.

I installed chevy's Low 1.25 GHz kernel

And although I'm still trying to see what kernel is stable because I already installed the Ultra Low kernel and I was getting random reboots.

Now with the Low volt kernel, I seems to stay up except when I do the stress test ini SetCPU. And while messing with this LV kernet I came across that weird sampling setting.

EbE404

Reaction score
Glad you found a kernel that seems stable. OK some more questions:

Are you using the most current version of SetCPU?
Did you run the Device election routine after flashing the new kernel?
Do you have any profiles active that have different governor settings?

If so, try changing those all to On Demand-Skull One found a bug where having different governor settings in different profiles cause SetCPU to get confused and not keep it's settings properly. Now, that bug was found due to a different set of issues, but I suppose it could be related.

OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score

If so, try changing those all to On Demand-Skull One found a bug where having different governor settings in different profiles cause SetCPU to get confused and not keep it's settings properly. Now, that bug was found due to a different set of issues, but I suppose it could be related.

Guess I spoke to soon. Just did a stress test on Chevy's LV kernet and phone hung and rebooted. Is it possible my processor doesn't handle the LV processor well at 1000MHz?

and strangely enough, after rebooting, Now my sampling rate is = 32000

I'm using SetCpu 2.0.2

Yes, I ran Device selection and used the AutoDetect Setting.

I have 5 profiles setup but they all use the same governor setting: on demand.

thanks for all your help. Seems like I keep adding to my original problem lol

EbE404

Reaction score

Guess I spoke to soon. Just did a stress test on Chevy's LV kernet and phone hung and rebooted. Is it possible my processor doesn't handle the LV processor well at 1000MHz?

I'm using SetCpu 2.0.2

For the kernel issue, yes, that is possible. The thread I gave you have a really good discussion about kernels and how they operate and differer in performance on different phones. Unfortunately, there is not a one-size-fits-all answer for what kernel is going to work, mainly due to different kernel voltages and tolerances and variations in CPU manufacturing.

I can tell you that I am currently running a Chevy ULV 1GHz kernel and have been having good luck, but sounds like that might be something your phone doesn't like.

The P3 kernels are also highly regarded and stable:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/50449-2-1-2-2-p3-kernels.html

Just make sure you get one of the Froyo kernels.

Might be worth a try as an alternative to see if that makes you phone happier. Also, set you max lower and let that run for a while. If it's stable, bump it up. Lather, rinse and repeat until you figure out what the upper threshold of what your phone likes is.

OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score

I'm using SetCpu 2.0.2

For the kernel issue, yes, that is possible. The thread I gave you have a really good discussion about kernels and how they operate and differer in performance on different phones. Unfortunately, there is not a one-size-fits-all answer for what kernel is going to work, mainly due to different kernel voltages and tolerances and variations in CPU manufacturing.

I can tell you that I am currently running a Chevy ULV 1GHz kernel and have been having good luck, but sounds like that might be something your phone doesn't like.

Might be worth a try as an alternative to see if that makes you phone happier. Also, set you max lower and let that run for a while. If it's stable, bump it up. Lather, rinse and repeat until you figure out what the upper threshold of what your phone likes is.

Actually before I tried Chevy kernels I had tried the p3 kernels and I couldn't keep the phone up more than 1 sec at 800. None of the work. But I'll try again.

Now when you say to change min/max and let it run? how exactly do I let it run? Anything other than idle I assume?

Also, can you run a stress test and not have your phone hang?

thanks

EbE404

Reaction score

I'm using SetCpu 2.0.2

Actually before I tried Chevy kernels I had tried the p3 kernels and I couldn't keep the phone up more than 1 sec at 800. None of the work. But I'll try again.

Now when you say to change min/max and let it run? how exactly do I let it run? Anything other than idle I assume?

thanks

Before you go too much further, I would really recommend reading at least the main posts in the Overclocking thread. That is going to give you a much better background as to just what the SetCPU settings actually do as well as some suggestions for how to test out your phone. I know it's a lot to take in, but it is really worth it.

Now to the testing, first I would deactivate any profiles you have running. Until you get a baseline for your phone, they are only going to get in the way.

Next, set the max to 800 MHz, and look through the Overclocking thread for some basic, default values. As you test, you will probably wind up changing them, but at least it's a starting point.

With those settings, just use your phone as you normally would-use the web, make calls, run apps, etc. See how it behaves. Once you get some stability, then bump up the CPU max and see how it behaves that way. Basically, just keep repeating that process until you start to get instability (FCs, reboots) and that will tell you where you phone's max really is.

In regard to your question about the stress test, when I run this, the phone looks like it hangs, but I press the back button and it quits the test and comes up with a result-in my case, no errors.

OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score

thanks

Before you go too much further, I would really recommend reading at least the main posts in the Overclocking thread. That is going to give you a much better background as to just what the SetCPU settings actually do as well as some suggestions for how to test out your phone. I know it's a lot to take in, but it is really worth it.

Now to the testing, first I would deactivate any profiles you have running. Until you get a baseline for your phone, they are only going to get in the way.

Next, set the max to 800 MHz, and look through the Overclocking thread for some basic, default values. As you test, you will probably wind up changing them, but at least it's a starting point.

With those settings, just use your phone as you normally would-use the web, make calls, run apps, etc. See how it behaves. Once you get some stability, then bump up the CPU max and see how it behaves that way. Basically, just keep repeating that process until you start to get instability (FCs, reboots) and that will tell you where you phone's max really is.

In regard to your question about the stress test, when I run this, the phone looks like it hangs, but I press the back button and it quits the test and comes up with a result-in my case, no errors.

gotcha, thanks for all that info. I'll do my homework further.

And the reason why i asked about stress test is because so far my phone stays up it's just when I do the stress test that it hangs and reboot. Although I don't know for sure but I gather that at no point in time will the processor ever be pinned at %100 for let's say 5 minutes. So I guess the stress test will tell you if your processor is unstable only when constantly pinning the processor. I'm not wording this correctly but basically the phone will not ever be pinned at %100 for a long period of time.

EbE404

Reaction score
And the reason why i asked about stress test is because so far my phone stays up it's just when I do the stress test that it hangs and reboot. Although I don't know for sure but I gather that at no point in time will the processor ever be pinned at %100 for let's say 5 minutes. So I guess the stress test will tell you if your processor is unstable only when constantly pinning the processor. I'm not wording this correctly but basically the phone will not ever be pinned at %100 for a long period of time.

You are essentially correct about the stress test, however, some of the Advanced Settings in SetCPU can have a pretty major impact on how your CPU ramps and how much time is spends in each slot. Combine those settings with a really resource intensive app or activity and that can generate some instability, as well as battery drain and heat. Balancing those elements along with performance takes a bit of time to get sorted for your specific device as how you want it to work, but it's worth it once you get it dialed in.

OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score

You are essentially correct about the stress test, however, some of the Advanced Settings in SetCPU can have a pretty major impact on how your CPU ramps and how much time is spends in each slot. Combine those settings with a really resource intensive app or activity and that can generate some instability, as well as battery drain and heat. Balancing those elements along with performance takes a bit of time to get sorted for your specific device as how you want it to work, but it's worth it once you get it dialed in.

gotcha, thanks for the info again!

OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score
actually One thing that I wanted to know and something I haven't found yet besides all the reading I have to do:)

If you happen to set your Max frequency to high where your phone just keeps hanging and not letting you get inside SetCPU. Is there a way via a backend to change the frequency? What I've been doing for my tests is to go into Safe mode and uninstall it. Then phone functions normal. Then I install it again and set my frequencies. But this is a pain in the rear.

EbE404

Reaction score
actually One thing that I wanted to know and something I haven't found yet besides all the reading I have to do:)

If you happen to set your Max frequency to high where your phone just keeps hanging and not letting you get inside SetCPU. Is there a way via a backend to change the frequency? What I've been doing for my tests is to go into Safe mode and uninstall it. Then phone functions normal. Then I install it again and set my frequencies. But this is a pain in the rear.

Unfortunately, not that I'm aware of.

OP
Y

y2k2

Reaction score
Try downloading 1000 from this list.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...hium-mod-kernels-official-kernel-lithmod.html

I have not found anything more stable out there.

Cool, thanks for this info, might try this if Chevy's don't work out.

However, for the past night I've been running pretty stable. (aside from stress test) Been using Pandora, making phone calls, texting and other apps.

And thanks Ebe404. I'll just keep on fixing SetCPU that way. Although running at 1.1 GHz is so far so good. Will it crash doing all those things I'm doing and using a processor intensive app? I don't know. I'm gonna search for a test app and see...