setcpu question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by EvilWays, Feb 8, 2010.

1. EvilWays

EvilWays Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Stock runs a thirty degs. What's safe? I can only imagine at 950 owning a really pretty space heater, at 800 I'm geting close to 40degs. So what's "safe". I understand the inherent dangers of overclocking, burn there's always a safe margin for theses things. What is it for the Droid?

2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Therre is a thread somewhere on this topic, but if I remember correctly, I think the HIGH temp for a Droid would be around 140 degrees??? I'm not good with Celsius so convert that.....but I think thats the temp. someone correct me if I'm wrong

3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    Running at 1Ghz.... have not seen anything above 103F.

4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats about like me......I've been running 1 and 1.1GHz and the highest I've seen mine get was 104F

5. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Consider situations like when you use tethering for a long time or when having the phone docked in your car with the sun beating on it while the battery is charging with the GPS running.

I wouldn't recommend anything higher than 800MHz. Some users reported more restarts and force close issues at 1GHz.

The thing you have to consider is a phone is not always in an air-conditioned room like your overclocked desktop PC probably is. So, you have to think about the possible temperatures it might reach based on the type of environments the phone could be in.

And from what I understand, that temperature reading is based on the battery temperature rather than the CPU temperature, according to the guy who develops SetCPU.

800MHz runs great. Don't get too greedy and shorten the life of your phone (or possibly fry it one day).

By all means, go with 1GHz if you understand the risks, but 800MHz seems to be the sweet spot.

6. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm running Bugless Beast 7.4 and overclocking with setcpu at 950mhz. Can someone please tell me how I can monitor the cpu temp in real time. Thanks.

7. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
  8. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been wondering this as well.... I know that manufacturers err on the side of safety and longevity, so 550Mhz is below what it can handle. But, it just seems to me that running at 1Ghz or 1.1Ghz (doubling OEM levels), can't be good. Which sucks, because I've tried 1Ghz and its super fast! It seems there are a bunch of users running 1Ghz+ and say they have no problems. But, I really have to wonder if these same users are gonna be reporting major issues in 6-8 months... Just because the phone is fast and runs smooth doesn't neccesarily mean all is well... Thoughts?

10. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    800mhz is still about twice as fast as 550. go into setcpu and press the benchmark button with it clocked at 550, and then clocked at 800. you'll see the times get cut in half when you move up to 800. so it's twice as fast.

800 feels plenty fast to me, i see no reason to go higher.

11. rstone

rstone Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously overclocking your processor WILL shorten its lifespan, the question is just by how much.

Although this may not be comparable, as I've never overclocked a smart-phone CPU before...a typical CPU in a PC has a lifespan of 8-11 years, now even if you cut that in half with overclocking, which is reasonable for overclocking a PC your talking 4-5 1/2 years. Now I imagine that if this is true with smart-phone CPUs than do you really think you will have the same phone in 4-5 years from now? If yes, than maybe you shouldn't overclock...if no..than don't worry about it. Personally, I see myself only having this DROID for a couple years before I upgrade to another, better, faster phone.

12. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    I wanna say the battery is rated for up to 113F and the processor I think is rated for up to 221F.

Might be off. Either way, rstone makes a good point. Say OCing does shorten device life... if it was made to last 5 and you get 2, isn't that all you need? I don't keep my phones for more than 2 years :)

#12 Martin030908, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
Search tags for this page

is setcpu dangerous