Setcpu profiles

publicanimal

Reaction score
Question. Does the MIUI throttle up the cpu to kernel max? i.e. If you install a 1000mhz kernel, if need, will it use every mhz? Or will it only do the standard 600? I would like to eliminate a 3rd party app controlling this if possible. What do you think about setcpu? Keep it? or Dump it? In regards to MIUI rom only.

It doesn't do it stock, but you can easily get it to do it at boot up. Just edit the 99complete file located in "/system/etc/init.d/" and include the following lines for the value you wish to change at startup.

To change your CPU maximum:
echo "xxxxxxx" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

To change you CPU minimum:
echo "xxxxxxx" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

To change your scaling governor:
echo "yyyyyy" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Change the x's to be you max:

800000 = 800Mhz
900000 = 900Mhz
1000000 = 1Ghz
1100000 = 1.1Ghz
1200000 = 1.2Ghz

Change the y's to be whatever governor you wish to use (such as interactive). The default is ondemand, so if you don't include that line, that's what the governor will be.

If you need any further help with this, just let me know.

Wow, awesome tip, thanks.

publicanimal

Reaction score
Question. Does the MIUI throttle up the cpu to kernel max? i.e. If you install a 1000mhz kernel, if need, will it use every mhz? Or will it only do the standard 600? I would like to eliminate a 3rd party app controlling this if possible. What do you think about setcpu? Keep it? or Dump it? In regards to MIUI rom only.

no...it will throttle to 600mhz regardless of the upper limit of your kernel.

I say keep setcpu. I have good results using it. Temp monitoring, high temp throttleback profiles, time in slots *unless you use slayher kernels, which is why I dont use them*...screen off profile to help save juice while sleeping.

and if you paid for it...use it.

Looking at the files that would be edited by the procedures described by ZeroBarrier above, I can say with absolute certainty that you are wrong about this. I have Slayher's 1.1 GHZ kernel installed and the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq was set to 1100000, so this negates your claim that no matter what the upper limit of the kernel you have, the CPU will not go beyond 600 MHz.

I'm going to set the governor to interactive and see how that works out. I have a feeling that make me start running hot, but there's only one way to find out.

I respect your arguments for using SetCPU but I personally haven't found that I need it with this ROM, which I couldn't say about any other ROM. Your "if you paid for it, use it" argument does seem a little silly though... can't let that $3.00 go to waste!

By the way, the link I used to use to find the old Chevy's kernels isn't functional anymore, do you know where I can find them? I only have the newer ones on my SD card and as you know they don't work with Miui anymore.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
.I was referring to stock homie. I wasn't aware of editing files. Still want temp throttlebacks and monitoring so will still use setcpu

I saved all on my laptop. Chevy runs coolest for me. Also even though quad means jack to me.. I hit 1250-1300 at 1ghz

Using what I paid for is not an argument... its an opinion. Maybe you should ditch the mentality of being argumentative and take posts for what they are worth. U don't get temp monitoring or profiles by editing files.

sent from a rogue droid

publicanimal

Reaction score
I was referring to stock homie. I wasn't aware of editing files. Still want temp throttlebacks and monitoring so will still use setcpu

I saved all on my laptop. Chevy runs coolest for me. Also even though quad means jack to me.. I hit 1250-1300 at 1ghz

sent from a rogue droid

Do you have the 1.2 GHz ULV kernel? If so can you send it to me? My email is my handle @ gmail

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'll check when o get home.

sent from a rogue droid

Z

ZeroBarrier

Your "if you paid for it, use it" argument does seem a little silly though... can't let that $3.00 go to waste!

That's only if you paid for it. The developer offers it as a free download over at XDA. But of course, buying it on the market gives you an easier way to update and a way to support the Dev.

publicanimal

Reaction score
For the hell of it I broke down and installed SetCPU and I did notice a nice performance boost. I think I'm back in the "use SetCPU" club.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I paid for it twice lol. When I bought my phone the verizon sales person entered my email address and put in a password w/o telling me what it was or writing it down, so when I flashed a new ROM and had to setup my email account...I couldnt recover my password. Google wouldnt reactivate or reset my password, so I lost that email account. So...I bought setcpu again. This was back when it was 1.99 though. I dont mind supporting devs.

I checked my folders for Chevy kernels, and didnt have the ulv old 1.1 ghz kernel publicanimal. Sorry.

I bet chevy is willing to send it to ya though if you PM him. He is a really great guy. Ill still try to see if I can find it somewhere for ya. Ill check my work computer too, but I think I deleted it. I already checked my SD card too...in download folders etc and no luck. -EDIT: I contacted chevyno1 about some of the lv and ulv kernels that work with miui...if he provides them to me...Ill hook you up.

then only old chevy kernels I have are

0.8ghz ulv
0.8ghz lv
0.8ghz mv
1.0ghz lv (which is what I use)

My phone never liked the ULV kernels...it drained my battery too fast as my phone was probably working really hard at the ulv. Ill give ya the 1.0ghz lv one if you want! shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
OP
tp4bama

tp4bama

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
alright give me a few minutes and i get the kernels out to yall
Ill pm the one that asked for them.

Last edited:
OP
tp4bama

tp4bama

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If anyone needs any of the old chevy kernels I have the 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.25 lv and the 0.8, 1.2, and 1.25 ulv. Just pm me which one you want and I will send them to you.

dredhead407

Reaction score
I have every chevy kernel that is at and above 1 ghz. If anybody wants it say something.

dredhead407

Reaction score
but what do you mean by older kernels. I suppose I havent been around rooting long enough to know that chevy had updated his kernels