Setcpu profiles

tp4bama

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good profiles setup that works good with miui?

T

treym

Well, to be honest, "works with MIUI" or any other rom mostly depends on how well your phone likes the kernel you're using. Not so much SetCPU.

Find a kernel that runs cool to the touch under everyday use, then use setcpu to set profiles.

My current setup:

I'm running Slayher's latest 1275 kernel (but I keep it at 1000 max most of the time.)

My profiles are simple:

Main Profile: 250-1000 (ondemand)
Screen off: 250-400 (conservative)
Battery < 31%: 250-600 (conservative)

I get decent battery life out of that.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Also throw in charging and temp failsafe profiles.

sent from a rogue droid

OP
tp4bama

tp4bama

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the input!

publicanimal

Reaction score
Ever since I started using Miui, I haven't used SetCPU. I get great battery life, my phone stays cool no matter what I do, and performance is awesome. SetCPU simply is not necessary with Miui as the ROM handles CPU clocking spectacularly on its own.

publicanimal

Reaction score
Slayher 1100 MHz v1.6.

Also, I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes but I'm a big proponent of using Auto Killer, I use the "optimum" preset. This is not a task killer app but an app that tweaks the native task manager settings to keep more RAM available than it will by default. It's very customizable with several presets.

In my experience this seems to help boost performance substantially when multitasking, though I can't claim to have done any "scientific" testing.

Also, my idea of "great battery life" might be skewed because I have 3 batteries and an external battery charger, so when I am low on battery I simply swap to a fully charged battery. So I would admit that battery life is a very slight concern for me since I never have to plug my phone in to the wall. I would say I average about 24 hours between battery charges but if I am doing heavy You Tubing or making long phone calls my battery life can be fairly short. But I just swap the battery out so that never bothers me.

Last edited:

sparty569

Reaction score
Ever since I started using Miui, I haven't used SetCPU. I get great battery life, my phone stays cool no matter what I do, and performance is awesome. SetCPU simply is not necessary with Miui as the ROM handles CPU clocking spectacularly on its own.

I was curious about this. I am using Slayhers 1250 v1.6 kernel. In Quadrant, I a, averaging mid to hi 1500's.

I uninstalled SetCPU and only averaged mid 900's.

I am not sure how MIUI handles overclocking, but SetCPU seems necessary to me.

Rasjudah

Reaction score
help

What is the stock Kernel on Miui can someone help me find out!
Is there an overclock feature in settings of Miui ?

publicanimal

Reaction score

I was curious about this. I am using Slayhers 1250 v1.6 kernel. In Quadrant, I a, averaging mid to hi 1500's.

I uninstalled SetCPU and only averaged mid 900's.

I am not sure how MIUI handles overclocking, but SetCPU seems necessary to me.

Well if your goal is to post outrageous quadrant scores, you're absolutely right, SetCPU is necessary to attain that goal.

I use Slayher's 1100 MHz kernel. My quadrant scores average between 900-1150. With most other ROMs and/or using SetCPU to overclock to the max, I would generally be able to get scores of 1300-1400.

But I would say it's prudent to step back a bit and evaluate performance rather than quadrant scores. I would argue that the fact that I am not maxing out my quadrant scores actually illustrates the fact that the ROM is doing a wonderful job of clocking the CPU to the speed necessary to carry out the task(s) at hand, rather than maxing it out and unnecessarily decreasing battery life and raising the temperature to a potentially unsafe level.

Since I haven't had a single complaint about performance when using this ROM, I find the question of attaining outrageous quadrant scores to be largely irrelevant.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Question. Does the MIUI throttle up the cpu to kernel max? i.e. If you install a 1000mhz kernel, if need, will it use every mhz? Or will it only do the standard 600? I would like to eliminate a 3rd party app controlling this if possible. What do you think about setcpu? Keep it? or Dump it? In regards to MIUI rom only.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Question. Does the MIUI throttle up the cpu to kernel max? i.e. If you install a 1000mhz kernel, if need, will it use every mhz? Or will it only do the standard 600? I would like to eliminate a 3rd party app controlling this if possible. What do you think about setcpu? Keep it? or Dump it? In regards to MIUI rom only.

no...it will throttle to 600mhz regardless of the upper limit of your kernel.

I say keep setcpu. I have good results using it. Temp monitoring, high temp throttleback profiles, time in slots *unless you use slayher kernels, which is why I dont use them*...screen off profile to help save juice while sleeping.

and if you paid for it...use it.

illmatic636

Reaction score

no...it will throttle to 600mhz regardless of the upper limit of your kernel.

I say keep setcpu. I have good results using it. Temp monitoring, high temp throttleback profiles, time in slots *unless you use slayher kernels, which is why I dont use them*...screen off profile to help save juice while sleeping.

and if you paid for it...use it.

Yes sir.. Got it, will keep it. Thanks Yakitori

Z

ZeroBarrier

It doesn't do it stock, but you can easily get it to do it at boot up. Just edit the 99complete file located in "/system/etc/init.d/" and include the following lines for the value you wish to change at startup.

To change your CPU maximum:
echo "xxxxxxx" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

To change you CPU minimum:
echo "xxxxxxx" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

To change your scaling governor:
echo "yyyyyy" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Change the x's to be you max:

800000 = 800Mhz
900000 = 900Mhz
1000000 = 1Ghz
1100000 = 1.1Ghz
1200000 = 1.2Ghz

Change the y's to be whatever governor you wish to use (such as interactive). The default is ondemand, so if you don't include that line, that's what the governor will be.

If you need any further help with this, just let me know.