1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

SetCPU profile while navigating in car?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by cfi on the fly, Feb 16, 2010.

1. cfi on the fly

cfi on the fly New Member

Havn't seen this issure discussed anywhere. I always have my droid being charged while in the car. It is usually navigating, playing pandora, and whatever else. This would be a time that I would really like to have my droid at OC capability, but at the same time Im concerned because it is being charged.

How should I set up this profile? Charging at home is a different story, I could care less about the speed. Is it dangerous to have the phone charging while in the car at 1.2 mhz?
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

It's not really the speed that is the issue while charging and using those kinds of apps, it's the heat that it will generate while doing this....especially while using the navigation, I would set the Failsafe profile to like somewhere around 40 degrees Celsius, and at about 8 or 900MHz, just to avoid any heat issues
  3. cfi on the fly

So to clarify, you would not use a "charging profile" so that I can get the max performance while navigating and simultaneously charging, but would use the "failsafe profile" of battery >40C = 800 max and 500 min?

I guess this configuration would give me overclock while charging and navigating at the same time while keeping heat issues at bay. At what temp are things considered to be getting too hot?
  4. RichStevenson

RichStevenson New Member

Doesn't the Sleep/Standby profile take precedence over the Charging profile. So when you're charge it at home, if you make sure to put the phone to sleep, it'll drop to the Sleep/Standby profile?
  5. cfi on the fly

Nope, charging profile takes priority over sleep/standby.

And I basically want a car profile that lets me run OC'ed, while charging, but will throttle down when things get too hot.
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Typically they say the temp can get like really high before it would cause damage...but just to be safe I would keep the failsafe set at 40 or maybe 45 degrees celsius......especially since you have it charging, which generates a lot more heat, and with Nav on top of that, as well as streaming music.....yeah it will get pretty hot
  7. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I find the 'charging' profile to be redundant. The main concern for all us, while charging, is heat build up, and the 'fail safe' manages the CPU (if your profile is set) based on heat from the battery.
  8. cfi on the fly

So Martin do you just use the "fail safe profile" and leave everything else unchecked?
  9. Topsy

Topsy New Member

The charging profile is there for the exact reason that charging generates more heat.

Personally i run at 1 ghz, but have charging set at 800. Otherwise the failsafe kicks in cause my phone gets too hot charging and clocked at 1 ghz.
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Absolutely not. I have every other profile set other than charging. I just don't use it because my device doesn't get hot when charging. If it did I'd probably have a limit set :)
  11. bL33d

bL33d New Member

my phone runs default 1ghz-125mhz while charging never gets hot at all.... But i to use navigation and pandora while charging i have my failsafe set to 45c and it kicks it down to 550mz as it dont effect performance while in those apps.
  12. Guurzak

Guurzak New Member

Something to think about WRT car charging, esp. this time of year: if you have your phone in a windshield mount then whenever your climate system is in defog/defrost, you're blowing hot air right on your droid. Definitely install tempmon and keep a close eye on things.
  13. EvilWays

EvilWays New Member

Buy a vent style clip or holdster (stupid cheap (but ugly) anywhere) and as long as your AC is on you can crank it to 1.2 without a problem (heat related problem at least)