1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

SetCPU on Droid X

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by Elkay, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Elkay

Elkay New Member

I installed it and all went well. I can't seem to find a way to overclock beyond the stock 1Ghz, though. Do we need a different kernel to be able to do that? Or does SetCPU just need an update?

I'm rooted, btw.
  2. ryantbdm

ryantbdm New Member

Yea. You need a custom kernel. They just rooted it so it will be awhile for kernels and roms to come out if any. The bootloader is locked so it might not even happen. The point in setcpu on the x right now is for underclocking to save some battery power

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Elkay

Elkay New Member

Figured, thanks!
  4. ryantbdm

ryantbdm New Member

Yea, no problem. If you know any about coding, you might be able to work with the stock kernel to squeeze some power out. Birdman is doing it now also

5. Elkay

Elkay New Member

I write primarily in VB. C has never been my forte, only dabbling in it here and there. Right now I'm just happy being able to get all of the bloatware off the thing. City ID was really making me twitch.
  6. ryantbdm

ryantbdm New Member

Hahaha nice. Yea the main reason I rooted my droid was to get rid of the crap. AmazonMP3?? Fo real?? :p

7. mcsinfl

mcsinfl New Member

my guess is we will be able to overclock. i know they somehow tricked the system on the milestone and are able to overclock (I'm assuming with stock kernel?), and we're rooted using the same process as the milestone, so hopefully the ability to overclock will be like the milestone, at least until/if the bootloader is hacked
  8. Elkay

Elkay New Member

That's what I was counting on, too.

And yeah.. Amazon MP3 was the second one to get the boot.
  9. keshavcharya

keshavcharya New Member

I am just wondering if we do see some kernels or ROMS for this phone, how high our TI OMAP cpu will take us? Just for comparison, although it might not be a real representation when we do see a working setcpu, the original Motorola Droid's TI OMAP cpu OCs pretty well. from 550mhz to 1Ghz+. I am hoping for the same with the X's. I love ocing my pcs, and I can oc them to high levels, so this is just more fun for me ;).
  10. dB Zac

dB Zac New Member

I have heard that the milestone overclocking method will work on the Droid X
  11. Elkay

Elkay New Member

It "should", but we don't know (at least not for sure) the addresses necessary to change the required parameters. I reached out to the dev that got it working on the Milestone and D1, but haven't heard anything back.
  12. flipnduc

flipnduc New Member

the stock kernel only allows it to hit 1k ghz.

cant go beyond that till some develops another kernel.

i dont see the need to go any faster though...its already fast....and faster you go results in a shorter battery life.

I actually use setCPU to UNDERclock my processor when the display is off, and when my battery hits certain percentage of battery left....
  13. Elkay

Elkay New Member

Not true. See Milestone.
  14. flipnduc

flipnduc New Member

well as the DX stands now...my statement is valid.
  15. Elkay

Elkay New Member

The kernel is not locked at 1Ghz. There are addresses that can be written to with a kernel module to set the frequency and voltage tables to higher values. We just don't know the addresses yet.
  16. flipnduc

flipnduc New Member

i understand it is not locked...but due to the devs not knowing the needed info...how do you get it above 1k at this very moment?
  17. dB Zac

dB Zac New Member

The stock.cpu governor already does that. Unless you are running multiple profiles, i see no reason to install setcpu untill a custom over clocked kernal is developed
  18. Elkay

Elkay New Member

I was just stating that there is a difference between "set" and "locked", and that we don't need a different kernel to achieve overclocking. You're correct that as of this moment, we can't set it above 1Ghz. I'm sure in the next few weeks we'll have it, though. Just a matter of having someone knowledgeable find those addresses. Once I know the addresses, I can set it manually without SetCPU.
  19. flipnduc

flipnduc New Member

ya thats the only reason I am running setcpu...i had it on my Droid 1...it was already paid for...so I put it on my DX...
  20. givmedew

givmedew New Member

Isn't there theory supporting that there isn't a substantial difference? The way I understand it is that if you increase the speed that it takes to compute information then you decrease the amount of time that the cpu runs at full speed. This is the reason why the droid can run at 1.25ghz and still afford an acceptable battery life. Of course if you run it full out at 2x speed for 5 minutes vs 1x speed for 5 minutes there will be an obvious and huge difference in battery consumption but this is not a fair comparison!

Also they have 2GHZ in the works the faster it is the more software developers have to work with.

Only problem is that since there is so many specs and capabilities of android devices that devs probably don't know how much performance they can ask for.

Either way I am pretty sure that there is a near NEED for the majority of us to see what the Droid X can do and there is a definite use for it and there is an unlikely loss of overall battery life because of it.