SetCPU Minimums?

Discussion in 'Blackdroid' started by ljholland, Apr 1, 2010.

1. ljholland

ljholland Member

Ratings:
    +0
    (Blackdroid 9 installed)

I've used the overclocking kernels to run my droid at 1000Mhz using SetCPU...no problem on max speed. But, if I drop the minimum speed below 550Mhz, I end up with lots of force closes on widgets and problems with answering the phone.

Am I setting this wrong?

SetCPU (with issues)
    Awake 250 Min / 1000 Max
    Sleep 250 Min / 550 Max

SetCPU (with NO issues)
    Awake 550 Min / 1000 Max
    Sleep 550 Min / 550 Max

2. JT3

JT3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I've wondered about that myself. I also get some FCs from time to time. I used to run with 125MHz as the minimum, but increased it to 250.

It's also possible that it's your kernel, more than the minimum setting, especially if you're running a LV kernel. Try a MV kernel and see if you're still seeing as many FCs.

3. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    JT3 is spot on. A low voltage kernel isn't providing enough electrons to flow thru the gates to switch them properly. You can check my signature if you want a quick synopsis on the subject.

4. JT3

JT3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, Skull... you've done some testing on this... About how much increase in temperature do you think I can expect going from a LV 1.25GHz kernel to a MV? My droid gets up to about 39C right now with normal (but heavy) use, dropping down to less than 30C in standby. I'd like to try bumping up to a MV kernel, but I don't wanna get crazy temps.

5. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6

I won't have that answer till the end of the weekend at the earliest. I am testing 14 kernels to get an idea of the voltages that Adamz and Chevy are using.

Both of them increase the voltage on each slot as the frequency rises. What isn't known to me is by how much. I am hoping to get an idea if 800 MV = 1000 LV or something along that line. If so, it would allow me to give possible predictions if someone fails at a certain point, whats the next logical kernel to use.

6. ljholland

ljholland Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - I'm running the low voltage kernel.... I'll try a medium one and see how that goes. Will the battery life suffer greatly? (that's really my biggest issue)

7. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    That is also an unknown that I am trying to put an answer to.

8. JT3

JT3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your battery will suffer, sure... but your display and phone use a much larger portion of your battery than your CPU, so I doubt it'd make a huge difference. Skull will probably be able to say more on that subject after his testing.

9. ljholland

ljholland Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmm.....some weirdness. So - I just loaded in Chevy's 1.1Ghz MV Kernel. I used Skull's settings but left the Max at 1Ghz.

Prior to loading, the battery was at around 49%. After the reboot.....now it's 75%. That doesn't make sense. (battery left widget seems to confirm this as well). Just an anomaly?

10. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6

That sir is something I have been trying to figure out for a week.

Mine does that as well after a reboot when I am changing out cores. At present the only working theory I have is the OS is tracking the battery thru a file handle in main memory. When you reboot that file gets reset. And the battery is checked for the actual charge level. I believe the difference is caused by the system trying to predict where you battery is at to save battery power vs constantly polling it. So if you are constantly taking the Droid on and off the charger, it tends to finally get lost.

11. ljholland

ljholland Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Changing from a low voltage to a medium voltage kernel did not get rid of the Force Closes. Since I had ROM Manager installed, I decided to try Bugless. (sorry). All the Force Closes are now gone. Same applications are installed as I used Titanium Backup to restore everything. Bugless was missing some of the apps...but I installed those from ZIP. Hmmmmm. Not sure what's going on here but the problems are gone with Bugless and the phone answers properly....and I'm overclocking at 1Ghz.

12. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Did you do a full factory reset before installing Ultimate Droid 9.0?