SetCPU Developer Overclocks Motorola Xoom to 1.2Ghz, Hits 40 MFLOPS in Linpack

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It’s amazing how quickly the developer community gets to work after a new flagship device is released, and the XOOM is clearly no exception. First, ClockworkMod developer Koush managed to get CWM up and running on the tablet 2 hours after he picked it up, and shortly after, he released root instructions.

Now, SetCPU developer Michael Huang has pushed the Tegra 2 CPU in the XOOM up 20% to 1.2GHz. At that speed, it manages a score of 40.716 MFLOPS while still working perfectly. The caveat? Linpack is a single-core benchmark, meaning that one of the Tegra 2′s cores goes unused. (By comparison, my EVO on CM7 nightlies manages around 39 MFLOPS at 1.13GHz after caching.)

It’s not really be a major surprise to hear that the Tegra 2 can hold its own, but things should really heat up once its competitors (the OMAP 4430 found in the LG Optimus 3D and the Exynos 4210 found in the Samsung Galaxy S II) come around.

AndroidPolice

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
That was fast cuz SetCPU kept crashing for alot ppl with the Atrix or Xoom the past few days.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
As far as I know the tegra 2 is just a custom'd two core OMAP 36xx paired with an ultra low voltage geforce gpu.

OMAP 44xx models should blow this out the water!

Its great to hear that mobile platforms, when combining the potential of both cores, are almost scraping the underside of 100 MFLOPS!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
And we all know it'll do a lot more than 1.2ghz, I won't be surprised a bit to hear 1.5ghz before the weekend is over.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
And we all know it'll do a lot more than 1.2ghz, I won't be surprised a bit to hear 1.5ghz before the weekend is over.

Huh? Why do we all know this? I thought the Tegra 2 was based on a core similar to the OMAP36xx, which seems to cap out around there? Apparently I'm ignorant...

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

Huh? Why do we all know this? I thought the Tegra 2 was based on a core similar to the OMAP36xx, which seems to cap out around there? Apparently I'm ignorant...

The Tegra2 is built on the ARM Cortex A9, the Tegra 250 3D is built on the exact same chip and architecture just with an upgraded GPU and runs 1.2ghz STOCK. The Droid was built on the Cortex A8, and from ARM's website, the specifications for the chip are: "Frequency from 600MHz to 1GHz and above"...and what was the droid shipped with? 550Mhz, severely under clocked by specs yet safe to overclock to even 1.3ghz, more than twice it's shipped clock. Manufactures of handsets never push chips to their limits because it's generally considered that it severely degrades overall life and reliability of the chip and reduces battery life, therefor it's safe to assume 1.5ghz will come without issue as it's only 0.3ghz increase over STOCK for the Tegra 250 3D.

The potential clocks this chip is capable of is outstanding.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org

The Tegra2 is built on the ARM Cortex A9, the Tegra 250 3D is built on the exact same chip and architecture just with an upgraded GPU and runs 1.2ghz STOCK. The Droid was built on the Cortex A8, and from ARM's website, the specifications for the chip are: "Frequency from 600MHz to 1GHz and above"...and what was the droid shipped with? 550Mhz, severely under clocked by specs yet safe to overclock to even 1.3ghz, more than twice it's shipped clock. Manufactures of handsets never push chips to their limits because it's generally considered that it severely degrades overall life and reliability of the chip and reduces battery life, therefor it's safe to assume 1.5ghz will come without issue as it's only 0.3ghz increase over STOCK for the Tegra 250 3D.

The potential clocks this chip is capable of is outstanding.

But most (not all) 36xx chips in DX/D2 that are at 1ghz stock max out at 1.15ghz. If Tegra 2 chips are the same architecture but with the additional complexity of the dual core management, then I'd say your assumptions about their overclockability is certainly not something that should be assumed. Hoped for, sure. Assumed, no way!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Ima bigger fan of TI's chips

Why? Just curious. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Last edited by a moderator: