SetCPU Charging Profile & New Taz Kernel Not Friendly For Some Users

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by olletsocmit, Feb 11, 2010.

1. olletsocmit

olletsocmit New Member

SetCPU Charging Profile Not Working For SOME Users.

I'm not sure who else has noticed this yet, but when you set your profiles in SetCPU there is one for when the phone is plugged in for charging. Most ppl have it set at 550 max - 250 min. So if ur overclocked at say 1ghz when u plug the phone in to charge it should run at stock speed. This is important for when ur driving long distances and using it as a gps so it does not get super hott. Anyways the problem is that when u plug it in, nothing happens. Yes the widget changes down to 550 max, but its not sctually changing. If you open the app and plug it in you will see that the white number in the upper left does not change. The 2 numbers that are green on the top right do, there the same as the widget though. Here is how we know its really not changing click system info and plug it in. If you look at BogoMIPS the number is a few decimal points under ur current overclock speed. Its truely not changing when u plug it in. Now to the same exact thing, BUT plug it into ur computer this time as if u were charging it threw the computer. First start by just opening SetCPU and pluging it in. Look at the top left number in white. It changes like it should plugged into the wall. If it does not change, hit refresh and it will. Now hit system info again. The number that you were looking at before next to BogoMIPS is now way down. Its a few decimal points under 550, where it should be.

So in conclusion... the profiles do not work when its plugged into the wall to charge!! This gets u thinking... do the sleep/standby profiles really truely work either... we can't tell if they are going down or not b/c the screen is off. But for right now its confirmed that the plugged in profile does not work when plugged into the wall. Ok sorry for spelling. This was typed on my droid! Currently running BB 0.7.5 and overclocked at 950mhz.
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

wow that's kinda scary :eek:
  3. HolyGrail

HolyGrail Premium Member Premium Member

I have mine set for 800mhz plugged in, 550mhz unplugged. When plugged in it shows the white and green 800mhz. I just unplugged it, and both the white and green dropped down to 550mhz. I tried this now with the usb, and got the same results, so my profile appears to be working for me.
    I did notice the my profile settings wouldn't stick until I checked "set on boot". Every since then its worked.
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

I have mine at 1Ghz, I am assuming that the profiles do work as my Droid is cool to the touch when charging...
  5. theascended

theascended New Member

Wow... such an alarmist. Try you experiment again, as another noted above I can confim your confirmantion is wrong. However, I have noticed it can take up to 30 seconds for the cpu profiles to actually change and therefore adjust the limits.
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yes, I will confirm this also....

My SetCPU works fine on every ROM I've tried.....and believe me I've tried 'em all :)

And yes, you're also correct, and can take about 30 seconds to register the CPU speed in the app
  7. windmeup

windmeup New Member

When I plug my phone in, my SetCPU numbers instantly change to the charging profile. I am not experiencing the same issues you are, or the delays that some others have experienced. Guess I'm just lucky!
  8. Pdigg

Pdigg New Member

Mine works fine on BB 0.7.4
    It wasn't until I installed 0.7.5 that it stopped working.
    When I plug the phone in to charge, the widget, and the min/max on the main screen (top right green numbers) change as they should. But, the speed stays locked at 800Mhz.

No idea what is going on. I know a few others have reported this happening to them also when they upgraded to 0.7.5
  9. pthance

pthance New Member

SetCPU works as designed on my droid. Sorry to hear you are having issues.
  10. JhankG

JhankG New Member

The ROM you are using has Taz's newest kernel. I have read that it does not work properly with SetCPU's profiles. BB 0.7.4 does not use the same kernel and the Sholes ROMs do not use the same kernel either, so you have a couple of options. Wait for SetCPU to get an update, go back to BB 0.7.4, or switch over to Sholes ROM (or any other ROM of your choice). Either way, I think you need to change the title of this thread because it is a bit misleading. SetCPU works wonderfully and has a great dev.
  11. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Mine works great at enforcing the profiles. I ran benchmarks at 1000 and they were at 200 or less (mostly less). I then plugged the charger in, the widget immediately showed 550/250. I opened the program and it showed a big white 1000 and a green 550/250. I then ran benchmarks and they were all over 400.

Also last night about midnight my phone dropped to 30% battery and my phone dropped to 550/250 and I could tell it as I was using it at the time.

My profiles work.
  12. SkullOne

SkullOne New Member

SetCPU profiles certainly work correctly on my newly flashed Sholes 2.0.3. Works like a champ. Just watched it drop me from 800 to 550 once I plugged into the wall.
  13. Pdigg

Pdigg New Member

See, this would lead me to believe that it wasn't working. On 0.7.4, that "big white 1000" drops to 550 when the profile kicks in.
    To me, that means your phone is still running at 1000 when you are charging and it is ignoring what the profile is set to.

I will give it another shot when I get home from work today and try the benchmark when my phone is plugged in (and pay more attention to what it says it is running at in system info. Someone just mentioned to check the BogoMIPS on this screen). Hopefully I'm wrong and I've just been driving myself nuts the last 2 days.
  14. BayouFlyFisher

Dude, did you not see that I did benchmarks that proved it was working when charging and that I was actually using the phone when it dropped due to battery percentage. I've been overclocked for a long time and can definitely tell the difference between 1000 and 550. It is working. The little notification on the main screen of Temp Monitor is the only thing that isn't working correctly.
  15. Pdigg

Pdigg New Member

Calm down "dude". I wasn't doubting your obvious brilliance. Just stating that I wouldn't expect SetCPU to function differently than it always has.
  16. BayouFlyFisher

"Calm down "dude". I wasn't doubting your obvious brilliance. Just stating that I wouldn't expect SetCPU to function differently than it always has."

Well, I really need to get a "Sarcasm Font" for my computer. The dude part was supposed to be funny. No offense meant. It was supposed to be more like, "Duuuude?" Trust me, it was funny when I typed it.

(Humor font on) Glad you picked up on my brilliance though!!(Humor font off) Or did you have your Sarcasm Font on at that time??? Surely not.
  17. Pdigg

Pdigg New Member

Hahaha. It's cool man. I'm just mad that I am stuck here at work and I would rather be home playing with my Droid. Thanks for enlightening me though. I appreciate someone actually spelling out for me that it is working and not just responding "Mine is working fine" without an explanation of what I am seeing.

Your brilliance shows that you are a /\/\ega 3lit3 Droid user the pwns us n00b userz. ;-)
  18. Signum

Signum Member

setcpu works as intended

my linpack benchmarks when charging vs unplugged are 1-2 full points lower. benchmarkpi also goes up when its charging.
  19. olletsocmit

olletsocmit New Member

Changed the thread title to be more accurate. Don't want to scare people. Lol
  20. scm

scm New Member

After some testing it appears you have a valid point. This is what I found:
    1) NOT charging.- 800Mhz
    - benchmark of ~250
    2) Charging via USB - 550Mhz (transitioned almost immediately)
    - benchmark of ~ 400
    3) Charging via Wall Wart - 800Mhz (After 2 minute wait)
    - benchmark of ~ 250

Test 2 and 3 used the same USB to Micro USB cable.

Conclusion: Apparently the method of charging is indicated differently within the hardware. It appears that setCPU only tests for one of the conditions.

Side note: My micro USB charger that came with my earbud will not charge my phone. And, a 12V to usb adaptor I use on other phones in the car will not charge my Droid.

Edit: BB 0.7.5
Search tags for this page

setcpu charging profile

setcpu fast charging governor
setcpu profiles not working
setcpu settings for fast charging
setcpu when charging