Setcpu causing restarts

oddjob

Reaction score
Have tried searching, but cant find a solution.

I have tried dozens of combination's of ROM's and kernels today, always wiped data/cache, and tried nandroid and update.zip installs and can't get rid of this problem.

Everything seems to run fine until I download/install setcpu and attempt to set a profile or adjust the speed in any way. At that point the droid freezes and either resets or requires a battery pull. I use "automatically detect" instead of droid, and I do not check set on boot.

Any advice is appreciated!

OP
O

oddjob

Reaction score
I have tried 900mhz, 1ghz, 1.1ghz, and 1.2ghz. Have tried adamz, chevy, and p3.

OP
O

oddjob

Reaction score
Well I flashed the 800mhz p3 kernel and havent had any freezes yet. Thanks for the advice!

Does that mean my phone doesn't like higher speeds, or have I done something else wrong?

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what voltage kernel did you try? only one I have luck with is chevy's medium volt one.
low volt and high volt all give me issues.

OP
O

oddjob

Reaction score
I will try some others. This is my second droid and my last one seemed to run them all with no issues. Guess I got spoiled!

Pokebreaker

Reaction score
I had this same issue just an hour ago. I finally got it to work though. What I did was open up SetCPU, and immediately uncheck Set on Boot. Then I set the profiles at the default for charging, so it brings it down automatically while I have it plugged in. It rebooted once, but after than it ran fine.

Then I realized that almost every app on the phone was running at the same time, because I didn't have ATK yet. So maybe thats what was causing it. To many apps running at the same time for it to be able to lower the Mhz.

OP
O

oddjob

Reaction score
I had this same issue just an hour ago. I finally got it to work though. What I did was open up SetCPU, and immediately uncheck Set on Boot. Then I set the profiles at the default for charging, so it brings it down automatically while I have it plugged in. It rebooted once, but after than it ran fine.

Then I realized that almost every app on the phone was running at the same time, because I didn't have ATK yet. So maybe thats what was causing it. To many apps running at the same time for it to be able to lower the Mhz.

Honestly I was doubtful, but this worked for me.

Can anyone explain why this would affect some and not others? I don't want to overclock this phone if it cant properly run apps that use lots of resources.

OP
O

oddjob

Reaction score
I actually tried UD 10 (UD theme) and UD 9.8 (which worked just fine overclocked before I tried upgrading to 10 which just makes it more confusing).

Pokebreaker

Reaction score
well once I closed all of those running apps I could raise the Max MHZ and didn't cause reboots anymore. I think it was just all of those running apps that caused the problem.

OP
O

oddjob

Reaction score
Well it seems to have worked for me too. thanks again!