Set up Remote VNC for Home PC

DogPaw

Reaction score
I just downloaded the free remote VNC program to my Drioid. I would lkie to access a computer at my home. Do I need to download software to my home computer also?

phatkat66

Reaction score
yes, i use something similar called PhonemyPc and its amazing you just need to download the software onto your comp set up your user name and pw and thats all its completely easy to use and gives you total access on over the computer wirelessly from anywhere you are.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yes, i use something similar called PhonemyPc and its amazing you just need to download the software onto your comp set up your user name and pw and thats all its completely easy to use and gives you total access on over the computer wirelessly from anywhere you are.
I guess I'm not quite certain about using VNC from the Droid...I just might try it, but isn't there a VNC application I could just put on my computer? Just curious.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
Yes, you will need a VNC Server running on your computer. Google VNC and you will find many different offerings.

Most versions of VNC (free ones anyway) don't handle Vista and Windows 7's UAC or User Switching well, or at all. I would recommend using RDP instead if you have a Pro or Ultimate version of Vista or 7.

techguru

Reaction score
Now that everyone has totally confused you talking about other products, yes, you need a VNC server running on your computer. Ultra VNC is a good choice. You need to know your public IP address or use a Dynamic DNS server, and if your computer is behind any kind of home router, you will need to forward the VNC ports TCP 5800 and TCP 5900 (you actually only need one of these, but I don't recall which is for thick client and which is for web right now. No harm in having both) to your computer.

If this is all new to you, feel free to PM me and I can try and walk you through it one step at a time.

Alan

MrBaz

Reaction score
UltraVNC is probably the best you'll find.

You should turn off windows firewall anyway if you have a router (whether wired or wireless).

Like techguru said, forward port 5900 from your firewall to your PC's IP address. You'll probably need to setup either a static IP or a DHCP reservation for your PC so the IP address doesn't change.

Make sure UltraVNC is setup to run as a service (this makes things much easier - starts when Windows does) and set it up to run on TCP port 5900. Also, please make sure you setup a password.

Now punch in your public ip address into your droid and go to town.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I do have Vista 64, so VNC Server won't work the way it looks. Maybe I'll look more seriously at it in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

MrBaz

Reaction score
Well, I do have Vista 64, so VNC Server won't work the way it looks. Maybe I'll look more seriously at it in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

It'll work.

I have UltraVNC working on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 just fine.

joeyspindler

Reaction score
i still cant get this to run.. im not sure how to forward the ports as explained above.

spower

Reaction score
Just loaded Android VNC on my phone and Ultra VNC on my PC, I am tethered...how do I get this to work?
I live out in BFE and my phone is my only internet. Is it possible to get this working while tethered?

Thanks!!!

SamShutt

Reaction score
I can get the VNC to work when i am on my network but when i leave and vpn to the network i cant get the vnc to work it says its loading first frame and then quits.any idea how to get this work? i am using Real VNC.