Set-CPU

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Vindii, May 16, 2010.

1. Vindii

Vindii New Member

So if I understand this correctly we do not need to use set-cpu with BB1 anymore? If that is correct then is there a app that will show you what the actual cpu is running at to confirm it is OC correctly? Also what apps are people using to show the temps they are running at.
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

This is exactly why I still use SetCPU. It lets me do both of the things you want to do, in one simple widget.
  3. SupAll

SupAll New Member

The only app that seems to show CPU Freq without affecting the CPU is Temp+CPU by SaneIS. It's on the market, but there is an issue that maxes out the CPU after it runs for awhile.
  4. Vindii

Vindii New Member

my understanding is that BB1.0 will kill set-cpu if it is running?
  5. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Yes, BB will override the OCing capability of SetCPU, but it will not kill the app if you open it up, or kill the widget if it's on your home screen.

I've been using BB1.0 since day 1, and the widget has always sat on my home screen and performed perfectly.
  6. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

Does it kill profiles? I'd hate to have to remember to load SetCPU whenever I reboot the phone.

Is there a way to exclusively use SetCPU and kill Pete's built-in version?
  7. LtKen

LtKen New Member

As far as I can tell, Pete's built-in stuff will completely override SetCPU, to the point of killing profiles. Read his thread and see if you cant get the answer, and if you cant, PM him.

Again, I've been using it since day 1 with a LV kernel, and I've had 0 heat problems. It seems to work well for me.
  8. cerebrix

cerebrix New Member

ive noticed i get MUCH higher temps running setcpu with any kernel ive tried to BB

so i would say, its probably best to not run it.
  9. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

My batt. life seems much better now. I tried BB 1.0 again, same kernel, same everything, and I'm at 60% after 9 hours or so, which is perfectly fine with me (light use all day).

*shrug*
  10. c0y0te

c0y0te New Member

I remember reading somewhere back in the original bbv1 thread that pete has a script called "pete" that does the oc work for the rom.

His default is on-demand scaling, so it will function the same way setcpu would with max jacked up and min all down on-demand.

Setcpu will only get killed if you use up so much memory that his built in task killer would recognize it as necessary, but it uses such little mem that I wouldn't expect that to actually happen unless maybe you were using his script to keep a ridiculous amount of ram free.

IIRC, you need to disable the "pete" script if you want to run setcpu w/o minor issues, or modify the script to your liking, if you know what you are doing.

Personaly, Pete says you don't need setcpu and I believe him, but I'm glad there is a seperate thread for people to discuss the issue. The original thread is almost unsearchably long at this point.

I run the 1.2 IV, and it can get a little warm while charging + youtube or Nav, but nothing out of spec. (nobody that I know of has ever cooked a droid, the processors are rated up to 190 :icon_eek:.)

Pete says jump, I say how high. That's the way I look at it, though I would like to see some more detailed options in v1.1 for both OC and task kill functions. Preferably in onscreen menu form, but I know that isn't Pete's strong point.
  11. ska8r411

ska8r411 New Member

I love the widget that is has,Im always wanting to know what the CPU is running at.
  12. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx New Member

It is absolutely amazing how many people have OCD.

Who cares what speed your processor is running when you look at your widget?! BB v1.0 runs smoother than any other ROM I have tried including the stock ROM. All that speed with no heat issues whatsoever. No SetCPU, Taskillers, or Temp Monitor. This sucker just flat-out FLYS!
  13. droid420

droid420 New Member

im running a 1.1ghz kernal with setcpu profiles set 800mhz max 400mhz min thene on charge pofile is 550mhz max 250mhz min with petes script still on there and the widget settings change when its pluged into charger. i have done bench runs and it is running at 800mhz, I have changed the settings and ran bench test and indeed running faster when its maxed out. no heat problems really and battery last all day with pretty heavy use. now i thought BB was going to over ride my setcpu settings? great rom no lag just wish i could figure out this theme stuff out or someone come out with one I dig.