Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Temp was one I use with droid. Not sure what toset this one to

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Theoretically if you aren't overclocking there's no need to set a temp profile. Even if you are tethered (while charging, obviously) it might get pretty warm but it's nothing not supposedly designed for (unlike the D1 which wasn't really designed for tether).

What's interesting is I've never noticed an issue with the underclocking and I can't understand why Google hasn't made it stock Android. I believe even Moto has it wit their "Smart" features on the RAZR. With all the complaints about battery life, underclocking is a necessity.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
unlocked and rooted. installed setcpu. ran it on powersaver and my rezound got very sluggish.

back on OnDemand and much better.

anybody have some setcpu tips?

jessemhess

Reaction score
I keep mine on ondemand. Screen off: set high end to about 800.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

Jawbone

Reaction score
I am also new to setCPU. Everyone so far in this thread has talked about setting the minimum to 350. My question is, what was it stock. Does it always run at 1200? Sorry for the noob question

cebosound

Reaction score
I am new to this app also. I havent found any great info on the settings yet. I am wondering what I can do with the VOL TAG to allow better battery. ?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am also new to setCPU. Everyone so far in this thread has talked about setting the minimum to 350. My question is, what was it stock. Does it always run at 1200? Sorry for the noob question

Yes, stock, the minimum is 350 and the maximum is 1200. Most custom kernels are the same by default. A lot of kernels also let you go up to 1350 - safely.

When set to interactive, the kernel will only run at 1200 when needed. When you're doing less cpu-intensive tasks the kernel may run at 920, 700 or all the way down to 350. It just depends on what you're doing. If you set a profile of 350min and 350max while the screen is off, this will keep the phone running at 350 and conserve battery. As soon as you unlock the screen, the cpu will ramp up to 1200, then adjust accordingly based on what you're doing. If you open SetCPU, click info, then click Time in State, you can see how long your cpu runs at each frequency.

I am new to this app also. I havent found any great info on the settings yet. I am wondering what I can do with the VOL TAG to allow better battery. ?

The Voltages tab should be used with extreme caution. Each phone has a slightly different cpu so the process of finding the "perfect" voltage for your phone is a trial and error process.

Some simple guidelines to get you started tweaking your voltages. When you open SetCPU and click on the Voltages tab, you'll notice the stock mV for each frequency. I suggest you tweak these one at a time. Start with 1200MHz. Lower the voltage by 50mV. Use your phone for a while, if it doesn't stutter, crash and reboot, lower it another 50mV. Continue this until your phone can't handle it. Once you find the lowest voltage your phone is stable at, set it and then move on to 920MHz and repeat the process all the way down to 350MHz.

Sampling voltages in this manner allows you to pinpoint the voltages your phone will be stable at. If you just arbitrarily change your voltages and you have a crash, you'll never know what made your phone unstable in the beginning...

Last edited:

cebosound

Reaction score
The Voltages tab should be used with extreme caution. Each phone has a slightly different cpu so the process of finding the "perfect" voltage for your phone is a trial and error process.

Some simple guidelines to get you started tweaking your voltages. When you open SetCPU and click on the Voltages tab, you'll notice the stock mV for each frequency. I suggest you tweak these one at a time. Start with 1200MHz. Lower the voltage by 50mV. Use your phone for a while, if it doesn't stutter, crash and reboot, lower it another 50mV. Continue this until your phone can't handle it. Once you find the lowest voltage your phone is stable at, set it and then move on to 920MHz and repeat the process all the way down to 350MHz.

Sampling voltages in this manner allows you to pinpoint the voltages your phone will be stable at. If you just arbitrarily change your voltages and you have a crash, you'll never know what made your phone unstable in the beginning...
Very good points. I wish I would have read this before I messed with it. LOL

Last night I paid for and was using SetCPU. Set a profile for battery temp, changed voltage settings a bit (I changed all of them at once, based on another membors screen shot), changed overclock a little. ... Everything seemed to be going fine for a day and a half, UNTIL THE BIGGEST SCARE OF MY GNEX LIFE. My phone turned off and wouldnt turn back on. Battery pull, hold power, nothing. I thought it was all over. ....... I ended up letting the phone cool down with out the battery in , then put the battery back in while holding the power button down... wahllah , it came back on. .. CLOSE CALL.. .. Wiped my brow, went into SetCPU and deleted all profiles and went back to default stock settings in there. ....... Now I am thinking about uninstalling. But then again, I did pay for it. Is there anything I should use it for?

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Now I am thinking about uninstalling. But then again, I did pay for it. Is there anything I should use it for?

Most roms have this feature built-in. If you are running stock, then you want to use Set CPU while rooted.

I have never tweaked my voltage settings, just the interactive governor with the screen off profile set to 350mhz and the battery savings are still very significant.

cebosound

Reaction score
Most roms have this feature built-in. If you are running stock, then you want to use Set CPU while rooted.

I have never tweaked my voltage settings, just the interactive governor with the screen off profile set to 350mhz and the battery savings are still very significant.
I am running AXIOM V2.3.

Thanks. I am a little paranoid to mess with the settings of SetCPU at the moment. Maybe after some time , and my confidence builds , and I educate myself to where I have an idea what I am doing, I will try again. lol

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am running AXIOM V2.3.

Thanks. I am a little paranoid to mess with the settings of SetCPU at the moment. Maybe after some time , and my confidence builds , and I educate myself to where I have an idea what I am doing, I will try again. lol

I never messed with voltage settings in CPU. May make sense for phones that can't flash kernels, but what I used to simply do was play with developer kernels in either low voltage or ultra-low voltage.

Voltage can add significant battery savings, but just look for custom kernels that do that for you as opposed to trying to find the sweet spot yourself by trial and error.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I am running AXIOM V2.3.

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't check the box to "set on boot" until you are absolutely sure it's stable! :)

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very good points. I wish I would have read this before I messed with it. LOL

Last night I paid for and was using SetCPU. Set a profile for battery temp, changed voltage settings a bit (I changed all of them at once, based on another membors screen shot), changed overclock a little. ... Everything seemed to be going fine for a day and a half, UNTIL THE BIGGEST SCARE OF MY GNEX LIFE. My phone turned off and wouldnt turn back on. Battery pull, hold power, nothing. I thought it was all over. ....... I ended up letting the phone cool down with out the battery in , then put the battery back in while holding the power button down... wahllah , it came back on. .. CLOSE CALL.. .. Wiped my brow, went into SetCPU and deleted all profiles and went back to default stock settings in there. ....... Now I am thinking about uninstalling. But then again, I did pay for it. Is there anything I should use it for?

When your screen went blank - this is your phone telling you, whatever you did to your cpu, didn't agree with it. It's a normal occurrence when dialing in cpu voltages. Basically the phone freezes up and requires a battery pull - no need to be alarmed. As the poster above stated, this type of cpu tweaking should be left to the experts. You should look for a kernel that's already undervolted and try it as-is.