Set CPU

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So I rooted, but waiting to see some reviews on roms before I go that route (if at all). My main reason for flashing a rom would be for the kernel, and perhaps some other minor tweaks/hacks.

Anyway, I fired up CPU and set the underclock to the minimum of 350mhz. Set it to interactive, and BOOM! significant instant boost to battery life.

Seems to be working, but was curious if anyone has other feedback.

cruckus

Reaction score
That till always give you a boost its severely underclocked to levels that of which of the iPhone! Haha jk but I that is a drastic amount I usually leave mine at about 700 MHz when I'm not going to be using to save battery

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I have mine set to 350mhz(min) 1.35ghz(max) with a screen off profile of 350mhz/350mhz. Battery life is insane and phone always wakes up in a snappy manner.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tbh, I don't get setCPU at all anyone mind telling me how to use it and the settings they put it on? I'm on the apex kernal currently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

bigeric828

Reaction score
Ya having a screen off profile set at 350/350 is awesome. has done amazing work to my battery and it still is snappy coming out of sleep. LOVE IT!

to benland: its very simple. Make sure you have root. When you first boot it up, a msg will pop up, click the "auto detect" button and then allow superuser. Then on the main screen, set what you want the max and min frequencies to be and then click set on boot. After that, feel free to set up profiles. The only profile i have set up currently is: Screen off. 350/350. priority:100.

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ya having a screen off profile set at 350/350 is awesome. has done amazing work to my battery and it still is snappy coming out of sleep. LOVE IT!

I must have missed something or not been paying close attention. I thought 350 was the min setting, which I assume is setting both CPU's at 350. Agreed no issues coming out of sleep (or receiving notifications/data while in sleep). Now if you take advantage of the 1gig ram and load it up with a bunch of apps running services, I could see that becoming an issue.

Now that I think about it, I just selected 350 as the min. I have no "sleep" profile so, in theory, my phone can rev-up to 1200 in sleep if need be (but generally in sleep it should be running at 350). So I'm probably not getting full advantage of the potential battery savings.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

to benland: its very simple. Make sure you have root. When you first boot it up, a msg will pop up, click the "auto detect" button and then allow superuser. Then on the main screen, set what you want the max and min frequencies to be and then click set on boot. After that, feel free to set up profiles. The only profile i have set up currently is: Screen off. 350/350. priority:100.

Thanks! Using same settings right now, is helping a lot! Are you set on interactive?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm on interactive (just because it's the default, and on the OG Droid most developers had that as the default governor on their rom). But I really have no clue what the differences are between interactive, on demand, etc...

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
In my experiences, on all of my android devices, the interactive governor runs substantially more hot than the on demand governor.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
In my experiences, on all of my android devices, the interactive governor runs substantially more hot than the on demand governor.

That's because the moment it wakes up, the governor "fires" in a sense. Wake up the phone and it immediately jumps to near max clock speed. It's for those who like the phone to run smoother.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
That's because the moment it wakes up, the governor "fires" in a sense. Wake up the phone and it immediately jumps to near max clock speed. It's for those who like the phone to run smoother.

Yeah I believe on demand takes more time to get up to the max clock speed. Interactive usually ran smoother for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

c.r.ayala

Reaction score
besides the screen off profiles what other do u guess have?? just out of curiosity! lol

1quickv6

Reaction score
I made a charging profile that is 1200 max and 350 min. Just so I can keep everything running smooth in case I want to multitask like listening to music or watch a video while I'm plugged in. Whether or not I need it? Not sure.

mmead1143

Reaction score
I made a charging profile that is 1200 max and 350 min. Just so I can keep everything running smooth in case I want to multitask like listening to music or watch a video while I'm plugged in. Whether or not I need it? Not sure.

^^
If that's also your default settings, you wouldn't need to make a profile for just that...right? You only need to make profiles for different settings. I'm new to SetCpu so let me know.

1quickv6

Reaction score
^^
If that's also your default settings, you wouldn't need to make a profile for just that...right? You only need to make profiles for different settings. I'm new to SetCpu so let me know.

That's probably true. But I would imagine that the ability to make a charging profile in the first place will allow you to override the phone wanting to use less power so it will run at a lower power level to run mundane tasks unless you tell it to do otherwise?